Hunting with the girls.

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Hunting with the girls.

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Last weekend was my yearly ladies hunting trip with a group called the Delta Divas. Guys from the Michigan Duck Hunters Association were kind enough to act as our "guides" for the weekend. There were eight ladies who showed up (a couple had to back out at the last minute). A great time was had by all, unfortunately I didn't get to bring any birds home. I missed the two that I actually had shots at. lol. Oh well.

My friend and I ended up in a little backwater off a river on Saturday morning. We had a couple wood ducks give us a look, but most of the birds we saw flying didn't want to investigate our spread any further. It didn't help, that it got pretty chilly first thing, and he ended up with skim ice around the dekes. We packed it up rather early, so we would got to the afternoon draw at a nearby WMU.

That's me, picking up dekes after the morning hunt. If you look close you can see the ice.

We showed up for the draw (a new experience for me) and we able to get a good field. Things were slow for a while, but as it hit a couple hours before shooting light, the birds started to lift from the holding ponds to head out to feed. It was something to see, just wave after wave after wave of geese flew over our field. But everytime we'd get a small group to start to circle and look like they were going to commit, they'd be pulled off by another flock of 50+ birds that would flyover. There were a lot of ducks too, but the ducks liked the group setup up in the field next to use better though. (They were running more spinners than we were). Which is okay, it was a couple of the gals and their guides from our Divas group. And this was one of the girls first time hunting ever. So I'm glad she got a few shots at some ducks. :) The draw was definitely an experience I won't forget, even though we didn't get any shooting in.

The next day one of the guys volunteered to take a couple of us girls out. Which was awesome of him. We went out on some bigger water to try a diver hunt. Also a new experience for me, we always hunt puddlers on beaver ponds, etc. Once again, the birds didn't seem to get the memo, that they were supposed to show up. We saw a handful of divers further out on the lake, but we did get a group of geese to give us a look, and one of the others in the boat dropped one from the flock. I whiffed again. :p But it was another great day and we had an exciting ride back to the boat launch. It was really windy and there was a lot of chop on the lake. I loved it. lol.

The bird of the day. (I'm on the right.)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Hunting with the girls.

Postby lonnieb83 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:44 pm

How cool! I am a little envious of your hunting trip with the girls! I'm new to the site, and still getting a feel for it. Do you know where some resources would be to find a group like that in Arizona, or is it just a few of the gals getting together? I've checked out the AZ duck hunters forum, but I haven't found much of anything besides hunters looking for areas and hunting buddies. I have to say that I am relieved to find quite a few women on here, I know I tend to get some cross-eyed looks from the fella's when when I mention that I'm a hunter. But I've earned my respect amongst my boyfriend's buddies at least. :thumbsup: I hope to read more about your adventures!
lonnieb83
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi lonnie! :welcome: to the forum! Well, actually this is an all ladies chapter of Delta Waterfowl. They do two hunts a year in Michigan, a hunt on the east side and one on the west side of the state. I'm a west-sider. :yes:

I started duck hunting five years ago with my husband. He was an avid hunter and I grew up deer and squirrel hunting with my dad. One of his friends invited us out duck hunting, and we were completely hooked. We'd rather be chasing ducks and geese more than anything else now

I know what you mean about finding other gals that hunt, especially waterfowl. It honestly took me a couple years to find the Delta group after actively networking. A couple of great places to start making connections and outdoor friends is through Women in the Outdoors (aka W.I.T.O), it's a part of the National Wild Turkey Federation. Another great organization is B.O.W. or Becoming an Outdoors Woman. They are connected with a lot of state DNR's and wildlife agencies. I actually attended a WITO event a few years ago, I had a blast, but I was a little further along than a lot of their introductory classes. So a couple years later I tracked down the ladies that planned the event and volunteered to help. I made a couple great friends and that's how I found out about the Delta Divas group.

I'd love to tell a few more hunting stories from this year. But my season is already over. :no: It just ended this last weekend. It was COLD! Saturday morning was 14degrees out, and we had to bust some skim ice. Missed our only chance at a few ducks, they flew over while my husband was out in the canoe, clearing away more ice. Oh well, that's hunting. We tried again on Sunday morning and busted a 10' by 20' hole in 2-3in ice. That was a new experience. I think the birds must have left overnight though, we only saw a handful just before shooting light. And now today we have SW winds, rain, and it was 50 degrees at 7pm. WEIRD WEATHER!!!

I'm holding out hope for our late resident goose season though. It runs through January and the limit is 5 geese a person. It's some hard hunting though, they're smart locals.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby lonnieb83 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Cool! THANK YOU!!! I now at least have a lead to finding some groups out here :beer:. My season is going to be ending in January- and for my first season, and first few months shooting a shotgun (picked up in September), I feel like I've been pretty successful (1 young Drake Cinnamon Teal- which was my very first, and pictured in my profile photo, 2 Drake/1 Hen Mallard, and a *face-palm* Drake "Tucson" Mallard (Spoonie), plus a first-time dove hunt with 9!). I've had plenty of cheek-to-stock time with rifles, but shot-guns and moving targets are quite the adrenaline rush. I will have to post photos of my Christmas duck hunt! It probably won't be a chilling 14 degrees, but I'm having some issues finding cold-weather hunting apparel to fit my petite 5'2 frame :crying: , so the 30 degree mornings may as well be 14 since I'm such a cold-weather wuss LOL!

I'm also shopping around for a new/used shotgun. I'm using an old Brazilian made, single-shot break barrel .12 that was my Grandfather's. I love it- but I would really appreciate having a few more shots LOL- though I have to say that it has made me really focus, and when I do have more shots those ducks had better watch out :tongue: !

I'll be back to post those pics and to brag about how I "chicked" my own boyfriend :lol3: Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!
lonnieb83
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 am

Sounds like you've had a successful season! Especially with an old single-shot! I transitioned from rifle shooting to shotguns too, and really enjoy shotgunning a lot more too. It took me quite a while to realize not to "aim" with a shotgun though. Apparantly, I'm a slow learner. lol. So how is that shopping for a new shotgun going? :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum