Going on 1st Duck Hunt!!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Going on 1st Duck Hunt!!

Postby Scubagirl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Hello!! I'm a noobie "hunter" in general! I love guns and shooting and I have quite the collection already, of goodies! Just this year decided I wanted to start hunting pretty much anything that moves :yes: My biggest challenge has been finding places to go here locally.

I'm going on my first Duck Hunt this week with family, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (if I can get back before the game starts). Any suggestions? Got all my stuff together (I think anyway) but I know it's gonna be cold and we will be in waders. I'm cold natured but will be toughing it out for the love of the outdoors!!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Scubagirl
hunter

Re: Going on 1st Duck Hunt!!

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 am

Hi, welcome and can't wait to hear about your first hunt. :biggrin:

Here's a few tips for staying warm. First stay away from cotton, stick to fleece and wool. Cotton absorbs moisture when you start to sweat and then when you stop moving it just gets plain cold. A good base layer (long undies is a must), wool socks, a warm hat, and for me I find that having something like a neck gaiter really helps to keep the chill off. With waders, fleece pants are real nice, I actually have a pair of yoga-style fleece lounge pants that work just as well as the expensive fleece pants that Cabela's sells.

Also, those chemical hand and foot warmers are wonderful. I prefer the insole kinds for my feet, but if it's really cold I may use those, plus the toe warmers. Make sure your wader boots aren't too tight, if your boots are too tight, your feet will get cold because the blood can't circulate as well.

Another good idea is to put on your outer layers after you get to your hunting spot. That way you don't start to get to hot riding in the truck and then get cold when you get there. Same if you have a long walk to your spot. I usually have my warm hat, neck gaiter, etc, in my blind bag, and then once I sit for a little while and start to cool off I add layers. I hope that helps!

What type of area are you hunting? Out of a boat, in a blind, etc?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Scubagirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks for the great info :wink:

We will be blind hunting. I've never shot at moving targets, let alone alive, so this should be interesting to say the least. LOL!!!
I'm really excited and hope I do well and have fun!!

Thanks again!!
Scubagirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Just keep your focus on the target. Big thing when shooting moving targets is to make sure that you give the birds a little bit of "lead". You actually want to swing through the target and shoot a little bit a head of them. It's kind of like batting or golfing, you don't stop your swing. Also with a shotgun make sure that you're not aiming it like a rifle, that leads to missing. Trust me, I speak from experience. :thumbsup: Keep your cheek on the stock of the gun and watch the duck, don't look at the end of the barrel. If it's at all possible the best thing would to get to a club or someplace and try shooting a few clays. It'll give you an idea of how to shoot a moving target and you can a little practice in. Good luck, have fun, and stay safe!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Scubagirl » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:16 pm

WOW!!! This morning was sooooo great!!
I got maybe an hour of sleep cause I was so excited. Got up and 3am :biggrin:
I got 3 ducks yay!! I got one male mallard and 2 hens. One of the hens came in by herself and I took her out easily even from all the way across the pond, I'm very happy!! The guys said I did great! It was really neat to watch the ducks get called in and land on the water. Also cool to know which bird I hit and see it fall!! Loved having the bird dog out there, saved us from having to get in the water much. I'm hooked now :grooving:

Thanks for all the advice it really came in handy! My fingers were the only thing that got cold, my gloves were thin though. Otherwise I was perfectly content! Thanks again!
Scubagirl
hunter

Postby Scubagirl » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Here's a pic (I'm on the left and that is my Niece and Nephew)
Attachments
photo.JPG
Scubagirl
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:56 pm

looks like ya did great. remember, ALWAYS have fun!
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:41 am

Awesome! That's a great first hunt! It took me a few times out before I got my first bird. So are you hooked completely? When is your next hunt? :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Scubagirl » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Yes I'm totally hooked :)
My niece is getting her hunting license soon (when she can get into a hunter safety class) so she will be able to participate next time hopefully!
Next hunt is in 2 weeks (we have a 2 week break). On Dec. 3rd I'll be back in business with the family!! I actually may buy the lad that we are hunting on (it's up for sale) so I can go anytime I want! Plus I saw a ton on deer tracks when we were leaving!! I'm dying to get my 270 out for a deer!!

Thanks for all the positive comments!! This has been so much fun just wish I would've started years ago!! Never knew what I was missing out on....well I would've been shopping lol! It's amazing, I went hunting then came home and got our Turkey dinner ready!! Very productive day!!
Scubagirl
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:31 pm

GIRL POWER!!!!!!! You gals ROCK!!!

i am so jealous of you!!! I've taken FOREEEVER to finish my online hunter safety ed course. I have one unit left (plus the final 75 Q. pretest) and then the field day test. Looks like i'm going to have to wait until Jan. to find someone doing the field day exam. :crying:

It's ok though... I can at least take the time to practice shooting clay a bit more. :grooving:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:12 am

WOW! Theres waaayyyyyy too much support in here!
capt1972
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 pm

:tongue:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby kfgirl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm

I repeat: GIRL POWER!!! hahaha!

Or should I just quote myself?? :yes:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 am

WAY to go me too it took more than one outing to get my first. Don't et one of us [guys] talk down to you EVER ,,thinking your'e a greenhorn and don't know what your'e doing ,you made a terrific start. Is that a picture of your ducks ??because I see a gadwall in there.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby lonnieb83 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Congrats! I'm also a pretty new duck hunter, just started this season (with the help of my water-fowl-obssessed boyfriend). It's very exciting and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked for life now. Have you gone on that second hunt yet?!
lonnieb83
Newb

Return to Outdoors Women Forum