Best gun for my mom?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Best gun for my mom?

Postby bucksnbirds » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:41 am

Ok here's the deal. My mom wants to give water fowling a try and I think I'm more excited than she is! What would be the best gun and gauge for her? She is about 5' 5" and 120 lbs soaking wet so I don't want something that will knock her out. A relatively cheap gun would be better because I don't know if she will like it. Thanks!
bucksnbirds
hunter

Re: Best gun for my mom?

Postby lilredneckgirl » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:52 am

Well, first look at what you already have. Think about changing the stock to a shorter version for fit. Then go drop a few bucks on one of the new high tech recoil pads. They work, and reduce recoil greatly.
The big thing here is not the gun, as almost any shotgun will work to give duckin a try, and if she gets bit, she will soon want to choose her own gun...

The focus should be on making sure her gear is adaquate, warm clothing, good boots, etc.

Her experiance out there is 99% persuit & waiting, 1% pulling the trigger.

A lousy gun with great gear, will be much more enjoyable then a great gun with lousy gear.

If she is warm, dry, comfortable, she will be much more likely to want to go back out that second and third time...... Take her out, play the GUIDE. Put her on the shots, assist every way you can, keep informational conversation going, explain whats happening and why your doing it, complament even on rough moments, and never critasize.
you might just get a new duckin partner......
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Even without the recoil pad whenever she pulls up on a duck her blood will be pumping so much that she won't notice the kick......

Like said above don't worry so much about the gun but the overall experience....... Pick nice days to take here out even if they are blue bird days, do some late morning hunts, let her see the birds work and i find this MOST important........ DONT MAKE HER WADE OUT TO THE BLIND. :no: ... find a nice spot on shore or in the boat that keeps her warm and dry. Remember its not about the numbers but just being out there. Have her enjoy the whole experience. :yes:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:31 am

What these guys said. I dont even LIKE sitting out wet and cold. I will, but I dont like to. I would get her involved in everything. Like already said, explain everything from the spot you choose, decoy placement, and even why you didnt take a shot.

As far as gun choice goes, Id look for a nice used pump that fits her. Fit is the most important thing. If you go with a 12 gauge Id have her shooting your choice of shell in 2 3/4 inch.
shadowwalker
hunter

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:31 pm

I would get her a 20 gauge pump or over/under.
Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/FlywayMedia
Please Like It! :-)
Nick Roehl
hunter

Postby loner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:51 pm

don't skimp on mom, did she ever skimp on you ? get her a gun that will make her enjoy huntin even if it cost extra.
a twenty gauge youth model semi will fit her good + won't kick. remember 1st impressions are everything!
loner
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum