new shooter

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

new shooter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:26 am

Hi ladies. I need some help. If you had any suggestions I would be very appreciative.

I've been dating a girl for ~ a month now and she has repeatedly expressed interest in learning how to shoot a gun. She has watched me work with the dog and is also interested in getting out in the blind next fall. :getdown:

I'm not sure how I found this one but I'm pretty psyched. Last week she crawled under my truck with me and helped me wrench on it awhile. Just gotta love that!

Any tips on how to go about teaching her to shoot would be appreciated. I have a Remington 1100 20 ga light Skeet that should fit her well and won't kick too bad. We'll definately have the safety talk, and then I thought I would have her fire off a few rounds at a stationary target. After that we'll give the clay pigeons a go, probably start by shooting at the low house on the skeet field.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. She seems pretty interested. It would be really fun if she got into shooting and hunting.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Well harvey don't know where the womens are so i'll try and help you out alittle. I started my wife out on a 22, since its a low recol gun see can really consintrate on good form instead of how bad it kicks. And she also will get confindence when she hits the target i would suggest cans cuz its cooler to see a can pop off the log than pushing paper. If you want to start her on shotguns then i would suggest getting a 410 or let her watch you shoot the 20 guage and let her decided from there. As always make it safe and fun. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:16 pm

Well, good news.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip LAredneck.

We went out yesterday afternoon with a semi-auto .22. She was taring up the cans so we switched her to the 20 guage. She fired it a few times and then I showed her how to shoot a flying clay bird. By the end she hit 2 in the air! It was a great time and she had a lot of fun.

Thanks again.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:56 pm

No problem man and the great thing about it all is you will never forget that look on her face when she busted that first clay. :smile:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:27 pm

First off good advice La, Man I’m sorry, but doesn’t it seem kind of weird being in here. Sorta like being in the girl’s bathroom, I got to go by :oops:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:25 pm

:toofunny: hey hey no peekin :cool:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby happyshooter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:07 pm

Wow where are all the women? This is the second forum I've been on like this and I am never answered by women even on the women's areas. Anyway, my boyfriend just introduced me to shooting in June and I love it.
I think you have a good idea of how to introduce your sweety to it. The first day I tried I shot twice at a stationary target, just to get a feel for the gun and then started to shoot at hand throne clays. Before long I was begging him to take me to sporting clayshoots and I think I'm even going to give duck hunting a try in a week or so.
Just remember to keep it fun, no pressure. She'll learn at her own pace.

I hope the two of you have fun shooting together
hugs and giggles,
Jacquie

"Throw 'em high and bang 'em hard"
happyshooter
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum