Women, Recoil, and Gauge

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Women, Recoil, and Gauge

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Ladies How Recoil sensative are you clue me in and what gauges and action you shoot. Thanx. I want to get my sister a savage f220 camo youth model i just wanna here your thoughts on recoil. She is 5'2 and i i don't know what she weights and i don't ask.

THANX SWEETIES
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Women, Recoil, and Gauge

Postby Shotgun wg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Not a lady but my wife shoots an A-bolt browning in 25-06 and a mossberg 12ga 835 pump with 3" #3 when duck hunting.

We also have a female friend that is about ur sisters Hight that shoots a x-3 in 12ga up to 3.5". A 243 bolt action and I have seen her shoot a 10ga.
Shotgun wg
hunter

Re: Women, Recoil, and Gauge

Postby chris_k » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 am

My girlfriend is little (5'4"), and she shoots my SBE2 12ga, 28" barrel, 3" shells all day. I don't understand why anyone other than a 7 year old would shoot a 20 ga.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Chris because its the sport of killing birds closer and more sporty.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby wildhorse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 am

I shoot a 12 gauge Winchester SX3, it is a great girl gun. It has very little recoil, it's light, fast, and deadly. I'm 5'6" and love this gun.

Your welcome sweetie
wildhorse
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Your welcome sweetie HA
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby lilredneckgirl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Big girl here, 5' 11".
I shoot a savage/stevens 12 pump with 3" mags
a Mossburg 835 pump with 3 1/2's
And occasionaly I get a wild hair and carry a Churchhill double barrel 10 ga, with 3 1/2 inchers.

Even on the range, recoil has never been an issue, but im told im half crazy , and i just love the big shot guns.
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 pm

thanx lilredneckgirl appreciate the help
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Churchhill taken it back old school right thats cool i like those old guns. My grandpa has a super old stevens side by side its a 12. And i got an old model i think 1822 remington pump action 22 with an octagon barrel. There no school better than old school.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby lilredneckgirl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Churchhill taken it back old school right thats cool i like those old guns. My grandpa has a super old stevens side by side its a 12. And i got an old model i think 1822 remington pump action 22 with an octagon barrel. There no school better than old school.

Yeppers. I buy a few new guns, but for the most part, I just love the oldies. The Savage/Stevens pump has a cira 1975, I have a dozen of the older issue, from 20 single shot, 22 bolts, etc. THey are both fun to shoot, plus they can be adopted for around $100.00 at a gun dealer.
They give me something to do on winter evenings, when I tear them down, re blue the metal parts, sand and finish stocks, then reassemble what appears to be a new gun.
waitin now on paper work to clear on an old Wards. Sold by Wards, Its made by Mossburg, Bolt .22 that shoots short through LR. It has the old Mossburg Attached/branded scope, made by tasco. The same scopes were used on sniper rifles in the 2nd WW. Scope mounts allow for use of iron sights or scope. it has the red and green 'gems' inbeded in the stock for safety refference. Should be a fun restore, and a real eye catcher with that 18 " long skinny scope when its done./
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Wow that is really cool i am very impressed. Thats cool i don't really restore guns but i like old ones. They just don't build'em like they used too. I especially like i call them cowboy rifles. Lever action henry golden boys winchesters. The Marlin levers. I was also thinking of buying a new replica quigley down under single shot. The famous Sharpe's 45-70 govt. Get the davide Pedirsol sniper open sights on it. Then i can practice my 1,000 Yard wooden bucket shot. HA HA HA HA yeah right. I think one of those would be cool. Thats really cool though that your that well gun rounded you can blue them and finish stock and do a little gun smithing. Duckinismyluckin < just cleans them. I got my maxus straightened around. It was slow cycleing it just needed a through cleaning especially gas piston. I hope all goes well with that gun revival project.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:07 pm

I shoot a ithaca 12 gauge and a remington 870 12ga with a 3" my big game gun is a .308 Im 5'2 and kicks never been a issue to me.
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

thanx duckdog
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:Ladies How Recoil sensative are you clue me in and what gauges and action you shoot. Thanx. I want to get my sister a savage f220 camo youth model i just wanna here your thoughts on recoil. She is 5'2 and i i don't know what she weights and i don't ask.

THANX SWEETIES

I dont think weight matters that much, its more about shoulder muscle and experience. IMO. I started shooting at the age of 18 with a Auto 11-87 20 Gauge 2 3/4"...and when I first started it felt like a cannon. My first shot ever was in a SBEII with a skeet load,and it knocked me over. Today I shoot a Benelli Supernova 12 Gauge 28" Barrel with 3" Duck Loads all day long, and on occasion I shoot 3 1/2". For my first two years of duck hunting I shot a 20 gauge. After one epic hunt where I shot a bird 20 yards away hit dead on and it kept going did I decided enough was enough and I bought a 12 gauge. LOP is more important to me now. I had a hard time finding a gun that fit me (Im 5'3"). I had a Stoeger Model 3000 but you cant cut it nor can you get a youth stock. So I sold it and bought the Supernova and I bought a smaller recoil pad. My advice is finding something SHE is comfortable with, and worry more about her handling and LOP then the recoil. She can always shoot lighter loads. If she is duck hunting with it mainly, a coat takes away most of the recoil.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby diverchasin » Wed May 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I've found that the adrenaline takes care of any recoil, even though I might find bruises on my shoulder the next day. haha I just got an 1187 12ga 3.5". I was shooting a 12ga Charles Daly (shot it til it fell apart). 20ga vs. 12ga has been an issue for me. 20ga tend to fit perfectly and I like the light weight. However, I hunt divers mostly and I just couldn't let go of the power of a 12ga. Any thoughts? I've heard it doesn't matter what gauge if you have good shells but I've also heard if you can handle a 12 better go with that...

New to the chat, by the way!
diverchasin
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri May 04, 2012 6:43 pm

diverchasin wrote:I've found that the adrenaline takes care of any recoil, even though I might find bruises on my shoulder the next day. haha I just got an 1187 12ga 3.5". I was shooting a 12ga Charles Daly (shot it til it fell apart). 20ga vs. 12ga has been an issue for me. 20ga tend to fit perfectly and I like the light weight. However, I hunt divers mostly and I just couldn't let go of the power of a 12ga. Any thoughts? I've heard it doesn't matter what gauge if you have good shells but I've also heard if you can handle a 12 better go with that...

:welcome: Where are you from?

I love to do an all diver hunt someday. Sounds like a riot! We hunt geese and puddle ducks mostly. I've shot a few stray ringnecks and I've shot a couple redheads, but still looking for a nice drake.

I had a 3 1/2" Supernova for a little while, but the gun just plain didn't fit. I couldn't hit anything with it. I shot a 3 1/2" goose load out of it once, and said never again. No need to take that punishment, if I didn't have too. I shot a 3" Winchester 1300 now which my husband made some modifications too. He cut the stock down, added some extra weight to it (to balance the gun out), and we added a pad to raise the comb. I love that ugly gun now. lol. I've found that 3" shells work just fine for me. Though, I do usually shoot Black Cloud and sometimes HD for geese. For wood ducks Kent Fasteel is usually what I go with. On days, that we're duck hunting, but there's a good chance of calling in a few geese, I usually shoot Black Cloud 2's. I think that a 20g can do just fine, but you really need to take the time to pattern your chokes and loads and see what patterns best through your gun. From my husband's patterning it seems like a 12g, will in general, throw a more consistent pattern than a 20g, while shooting the same load. This is especially true when you get into the the bigger shot sizes. JMHO. :smile:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby sonofaduckhunterswife » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Right now I shoot a Remington 877 pump 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrell. But my dream gun is the Benelli Ultra-Light with a 24 inch barrell.Weighing in at a mere six pounds.
sonofaduckhunterswife
Newb

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri May 11, 2012 2:07 pm

My husband has an ultra-light. He LOVES it. He took it on our yearly grouse and woodcock trip and didn't seem able to miss with it. He does say it kicks a bit when he's shooting skeet with it though. He's lucky. It doesn't fit me, so I'm not tempted to borrow it. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby gander_lander34 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm

In response to the topic of this discussion, I took my friend out last year to ND on her first real duck hunting trip. She was shooting a Weatherby SA-08 20 gauge. After patterning her gun with litterally every load we could find in a 20 ga. 3" load, it was decided on Blackcloud #2's. Now mind you, I took her out trap and skeet shooting almost every single saturday from June until we went to ND in November. If the bird was within 30 yards, it was dead, and I mean stone cold dead. She was a smaller framed girl, 5'4", ~130 lbs. I made sure her fundamentals were sound and she was not recoil shy whatsoever. I disagree with the comment made about when the adrenaline is pumping you don't feel it. That statement it half-way true. If the person develops a flinch of any kind, regardless if they're shooting 7/8 oz. loads at the skeet range or a 3 1/2 inch load in the goose field, they will have the exact same flinch, regardless of the amount of adrenaline pumping through you and therefore will equal more missed shots. Now by no means am I saying that women shouldn't shoot magnum loads out of a 12 gauge. All I am saying is that if she is under the impression that because of adrenaline that the flinch or whatever won't be there, I'm sorry to say that you are sorrily mistaken. In no way is this designed to call anyone out or drag anyone on this forum down, but the need to understand the psychology behind shooting is just as important as the physical part. Believe it or not, psychology in shooting has just as much to do with the success of hitting a target as the physical part of leading, shooting, and following through. With the line of work that I am in I have had a lot more in depth training when it comes to shooting than most people and by no means am I claiming myself to be an expert, but I just want to share my knowledge for all those out there in hopes that it will bring them more success. With all that being said, make sure you are sound on your fundamentals and take the time to practice with whatever load it is you're using.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Thu May 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:
diverchasin wrote:I've found that the adrenaline takes care of any recoil, even though I might find bruises on my shoulder the next day. haha I just got an 1187 12ga 3.5". I was shooting a 12ga Charles Daly (shot it til it fell apart). 20ga vs. 12ga has been an issue for me. 20ga tend to fit perfectly and I like the light weight. However, I hunt divers mostly and I just couldn't let go of the power of a 12ga. Any thoughts? I've heard it doesn't matter what gauge if you have good shells but I've also heard if you can handle a 12 better go with that...

:welcome: Where are you from?

I love to do an all diver hunt someday. Sounds like a riot! We hunt geese and puddle ducks mostly. I've shot a few stray ringnecks and I've shot a couple redheads, but still looking for a nice drake.

I had a 3 1/2" Supernova for a little while, but the gun just plain didn't fit. I couldn't hit anything with it. I shot a 3 1/2" goose load out of it once, and said never again. No need to take that punishment, if I didn't have too. I shot a 3" Winchester 1300 now which my husband made some modifications too. He cut the stock down, added some extra weight to it (to balance the gun out), and we added a pad to raise the comb. I love that ugly gun now. lol. I've found that 3" shells work just fine for me. Though, I do usually shoot Black Cloud and sometimes HD for geese. For wood ducks Kent Fasteel is usually what I go with. On days, that we're duck hunting, but there's a good chance of calling in a few geese, I usually shoot Black Cloud 2's. I think that a 20g can do just fine, but you really need to take the time to pattern your chokes and loads and see what patterns best through your gun. From my husband's patterning it seems like a 12g, will in general, throw a more consistent pattern than a 20g, while shooting the same load. This is especially true when you get into the the bigger shot sizes. JMHO. :smile:

Thats how my stoeger was. Just didnt fit. The guys gave me a hard time telling me it was me, and not my gun. Picked up the supernova and whattayaknow, shoot great with it. I think its all about that balance of finding a gun that fits you. Its with great regret that I am selling it soon. Time to get a semi-auto. I shoot only 3". My favorite all time ammo is Black Cloud snowgoose BB for geese. It will take them down hard. For ducks I have been shooting federal #2s and Fiocchi #2s. This year I think I am going to stick only with Fiocchi. And for sure hunting takes the recoil out. This year my fiance threw me a few shells cause I was out when a flock of bluebills came in. Picked up and shot, didnt even realized that he handed me 3.5" BB.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

chris_k wrote:My girlfriend is little (5'4"), and she shoots my SBE2 12ga, 28" barrel, 3" shells all day. I don't understand why anyone other than a 7 year old would shoot a 20 ga.

Because we can................................................. Why shoot something bigger than we NEED..................... :beer:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Twashburn24 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm

My wife's 5 foot even she shoots a super Vinci 12gauge 3"
Twashburn24
hunter

Postby Luluwashburn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks babe. I am 5' about 125lbs and shoot 3" shells in my super Vinci. After a shooting 2 boxes of shells skeet shooting I know that I shot but it is not painful. As far as gauge goes I just made the transition to a 12 ga because I found that I was not killing as many birds in longer range and was unable to hunt geese effectively with a 20 ga. Prior I was shooting a Remington 870 20 ga which I loved because it fit me well, I would say that the recoil is comparable with my super Vinci.
Luluwashburn
Newb

Postby ashmartin413 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am

You got to watch out for the featherwieghts and youth models because the recoil is worse. The best I've found is the Benelli Super Vinci 26" 12 GA in MAX4 camo. In fact, I just special ordered one for myself. I'm 5'9 and 140 lbs and I'm pretty strong for a girl, but I think even if your smaller, this would be a great shotgun. The youth models and 20 GA's put you at a disadvantage for the long range shots, and I think the kick is even worse.
ashmartin413
Newb

Postby Goosebumps » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:52 pm

I love my Winchester SX3 12 gauge. My gunsmith was able to just barely shorten the stock and add a new gel pad. Out of the box it was too long. My LOP is 18" and I'm 5'3", 118 lbs.
Goosebumps
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum