BOW Events in MD

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

BOW Events in MD

Postby kfgirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 am

Hey there Ladies!

I've been meaning to look into some of the B.O.W. events here in MD. A friend tells me they have a banquet coming up. Is there anyone else out there involved with this group?

I have two little boys, a "regular" 9-5 job, and several other outside interests in addition to my new passion (hunting) and I would SOOOO love to find some gals to hang out with and practice shooting or calling or just comparing notes with.

DU also has their 75th anniversary gala coming up & i was hoping some DHC folks would be attending.

Holla back girls!
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Re: BOW Events in MD

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:23 am

A B.O.W banquet? That's a little different than the stuff they do here, but it sounds like fun! Usually the Michigan BOW has outdoor events like learning how to shoot, winter camping, flyfishing, etc. And then they have some "Beyond BOW" events, like women's pheasant hunts.

I volunteered with WITO (Women in the Outdoors) a couple years ago. We ran an all day Saturday event with a bunch of different workshops that the attendee could pick. Workshops ran from walking stick making, flyfishing, pistol shooting, archery, shotguns, geocaching. All sorts of fun stuff. We tried to have a variety so the ladies that didn't feel comfortable shooting, still had fun stuff to do. It was a lot of fun, but the other ladies on the planning committee where pretty burnt out from planning it for years and they all said it was the last year they were going to do it. :sad:

I know you have a couple of boys, you might want to check out the NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation's) Jake's program also. The NWTF also runs the WITO program. It's seems like a really good program for youth.

I've never been to a DU banquet but would like too. I've heard bring your $, lots of raffles and things. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby kfgirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:25 am

Yes, I heard banquet. I've been so busy at work and at home w/house & boy stuff that I haven't had a chance to look into them.

I've found a local NWTF chapter & they do have a WITO person there but I haven't heard much by way of events. Maybe I'll see more in the spring?? I do plan on signing the boys up as Jakes too. I understand they have a few events during the year.

I'm attending a DU banquet this weekend as well - a bull roast. I've heard bring your checkbook too! :yes: But hey, it all goes to conservation, right??!

I'm definetly going to have to look into some more outdoor events. Maybe B.O.W.s It'd just be nice to meet up with some local gals too. :beer:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby duckngoosegirl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi there!
I just joined and was wondering what part of Maryland you're in, since I'm also in Maryland. I started hunting last season and am totally hooked! I hunt with my husband and would love to meet other female hunters. We're in the DC area but do most of our hunting in Western Maryland.
duckngoosegirl
Newb

Postby kfgirl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey there duckngoosegirl! So happy to hear from another Md female huntress! :beer:

I live in Baltimore and have just taken up hunting this year. I just finished my hunter safety ed class & have been debating about whether or not paying for a license for this season. I understand we still have turkey season so I may go ahead & pick one up at Dicks after all.

I did get on an email list from our MD BOWs person. There's a banquet in Frederick coming up on the 23rd. Frederick isn't that close to me but might be worth it to meet some ladies. :smile:
kfgirl
hunter

Postby smitty14 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Thank you for this lead! I've been trying to figure out how to get into hunting with no one to mentor me. I am looking into their goose hunting event this coming next weekend. I'm in VA, but it doesn't look like the VA BOW has been active since 2010.
smitty14
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum