New to duck hunting! Tips?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

New to duck hunting! Tips?

Postby Drover » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello all! I am a newbie to duck hunting, and thougt some fellow lady outdoor lovers could help me get started. I would like to hear anything you have to say for tips! Also, i have a three year old lab from hunting lines. I have him trained well with thru retriving dummies, but he has never actually been hunting. Do you think he will be any good? Thanks!
Drover
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting! Tips?

Postby Ryd3r » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Drover wrote:Hello all! I am a newbie to duck hunting, and thougt some fellow lady outdoor lovers could help me get started. I would like to hear anything you have to say for tips! Also, i have a three year old lab from hunting lines. I have him trained well with thru retriving dummies, but he has never actually been hunting. Do you think he will be any good? Thanks!

Hey and welcome to the sport. As for your dog it will just take practice and I am sure some scooby snacks and patience. :yes:

What kind of tips are you looking for? Spots? Ammo? Equipment?

What do you shoot? Do you know what kind of Ammo you want to use?

Are you field hunting or water hunting?
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Drover » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm

well i will probably be using a 20 gauge shotgun that i already have ( its only a single shot though... going to be looking into a new one soon) and I will be doing water hunting. What are some good times of day? also, what kinds of equipment will i be needing?
Drover
Newb

Postby Ryd3r » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 am

Drover wrote:well i will probably be using a 20 gauge shotgun that i already have ( its only a single shot though... going to be looking into a new one soon) and I will be doing water hunting. What are some good times of day? also, what kinds of equipment will i be needing?

If you are looking into a new gun I would suggest a 12 Gauge. And then you have to make a decision, do you want a pump or an auto? Pumps are cheaper, and more reliable, autos are easier to shoot, usually have less recoil, but need to be better maintained. I have a Benelli Super Nova ($650). Its a pump. I am a benelli fan, I would suggest a SBEII (auto- $1200-1500) if you have the extra dough, or if not, and you want an auto the new Stoeger 3500 is supposed to be a really good gun (between $550-650). Another reliable option is the Benelli Nova Pump for around $350-450.

For water hunting you will be needing....

A pair of waders. I suggest Frogg Toggs Marsh Boys. Its what I have and they are the best pair of waders I have owned.

A boat will be nice if you are hunting lakes and rivers. If you are hunting marshes it would still be nice to have, but you dont have to own one to do well. Just a whole lot more effort.

Decoys. Floaters! Goose and Duck. Both puddlers and/or divers if you are hunting both types. But as far as basics...a couple dozen mallards will be OK. But learn what species of ducks you will be hunting most. When I first started we were using mallard decoys. It worked great for mallards, but teal would flare. Turns out the majority species of ducks we hunted were teal, and teal usually decoy best to their own species. If thats the case with you get a dozen mallards and some teal or speciesX to go along.

Calls. Get a good open water call. One good call is the Zink Power Hen Open Water (Single) or the Zink Power Hen Double Mag. Get a good goose call as well. I have a Sean Hammock Big Kahuna call and I love it.

Those are the basics. Im sure someone else will chime in. I usually hunt fields, its a great option that a lot of new (and old stubborn) hunters overlook. There can be some great hunting in the fields.(Id be more then happy to chime in on gear for that) Like always do your research look at your best options and buy what you can when you can. Get cheaper gear to start you off for instance get cheap waders. My frogg Toggs cost me around $180, but you can go to walmart and get a pair for around $80. Look for used gear on ebay, here, craigslist yard sales etc...If you can afford a call right now, save up and get a good call. Buy one used if you need to.

As far as times EARLY mornings and afternoons-dusk. Opening day goose season we usually get up around 3am :eek: But typically be there and set up 30minutes before shooting hours is the goal we like to set Keeping in mind that for field hunting grassing blinds takes between 30minutes and an hour depending on the number of blinds. In the afternoon we will go out around 3pm be set up and ready to shoot within an hour. Give yourself time for travel and the unexpected.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby southern trigger » Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 am

I am new but I am glad I found this web site. I have never duck hunted or hunted with dogs but I am interested in getting into duck hunting with my labs. I am looking for any advice that anyone has. I have a 2 year old chocolate lab female, Cricket and a 7 week old male named Trigger. I have always had labs as pets but never trained them for hunting. I ordered the Evan Graham Smart Works program. Has anyone ever used this program? any suggestions? thanks!
southern trigger
Newb

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm

:welcome: I'm afraid I can't help with dog advice, have you tried the Hunting Dog forum? That would be the spot for advice with training.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum