Pregnant & Hunting

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Pregnant & Hunting

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 pm

I need the input from the female hunters. My girlfriend is pregnant, 11.5 weeks to be exact.

Duck season is huge for us, every weekend and one day a week we are out there. Her father has bought her a seat in his blind this year at the executive club in Dingville (expensive) I also have a blind in Butte, but she is nervous about hunting while pregnant. Her dad has not made the final payment and can request the money back if it is not deemed safe. Heck I might even pay him for the seat, but for the most part he wants her to be safe.

She has asked her doctor, but I mean how many doctors encounter this question? Not many. His response was, "Should be fine"

She has asked me to post on her behalf. She will be 20 weeks the beginning of duck season. (19 weeks for early goose :-) )

Have any of you hunted while pregnant?

Anything to be careful of?

Do's/Don't ?

Thank you so much for any input you can give.

Happy Hunting

David--
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Re: Pregnant & Hunting

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I hunted while pregnant, but it was quite early on in the pregnancy during turkey season. I didn't have any issues other than getting a little more tired than usual, which is completely normal at that stage of pregnancy, and I had a huge appetite. lol. I was planning on doing some hunting that fall, but I ended up having my twins 9 weeks early at the be ginning of duck season. So that didn't happen. I did however do quite a bit of shooting throughout the summer and continued until it started to become uncomfortable.

I would say that it should be just fine. She'll just want to be careful and not overdue it, but if it's just a boat ride in and sitting in the blind that shouldn't be an issue. Make sure she has plenty of water and lots of snacks.

Congrats on the little one too.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Pregnant & Hunting

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks for the info. Anymore would be appreciated.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby LadyK » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 am

She really should be fine. If it makes you both a little more comfortable, I ride horses and was climbing in the saddle right up to my third trimester (too uncomfortable after that :tongue: ) if you are an active lady before you get pregnant, you can continue being active with no worries. (I also had a friend who ran a half marathon at 18 weeks) good luck and congrats!
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby TigerMTSirius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 am

I upland hunted until 3 weeks before due date. I was high risk, it was 4th pregnancy loosing the other 3 pregnancies. My theroy was if it was meant to be it will be .... and the Drs wanted me to exercise. I used big upland pants with a belly band (like an elastic cover that let me leave the front unbuttoned yet kept me hidden and kept my pants up well enough, you can also use suspenders. Walking up and down the steep hills made my Dad nervous but I was FINE!!! I shot a lot of birds that year and glad I did it before I got tied down with the baby.

One thing I did notice was close to the end the baby did jump a little to the noise of the gun, but it didn't harm him any, probably just woke him, since as I walked he seemed to sleep.

She will need to make sure she does not dehydrate and has a place to pee often. Other than that tell her to enjoy herself!!! It may be the last time in a logn while she gets a chance for good hunting!!!!
TigerMTSirius
Newb

Pregnant & Hunting

Postby Duck_Popper » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Thank you for the info. I have passed it along to her.

Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:04 pm

That is awesome. Cool to be able to tell your little one he started hunting in utero!
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 am

My wife hunts with me. Our son was born Feb 23. My wife went with me the whole season that ended the end of January. They had no problems. The big things were I had to help dress her with her gear, she got tired quicker, bathroom breaks, and was a lot warmer.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Pregnant & Hunting

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:My wife hunts with me. Our son was born Feb 23. My wife went with me the whole season that ended the end of January. They had no problems. The big things were I had to help dress her with her gear, she got tired quicker, bathroom breaks, and was a lot warmer.

Perfect. Our little one is Due Feb 28th. I got a quad to drive her out to the blind and I retrieve her birds. Thanks for the input!

Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am

Duck_Popper wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:My wife hunts with me. Our son was born Feb 23. My wife went with me the whole season that ended the end of January. They had no problems. The big things were I had to help dress her with her gear, she got tired quicker, bathroom breaks, and was a lot warmer.

Perfect. Our little one is Due Feb 28th. I got a quad to drive her out to the blind and I retrieve her birds. Thanks for the input!

No problem. Hope everything goes well.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby TROB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:48 am

Wow...lots of selfish people on here. I'm kind of surprised that most of you are talking about it being safe for the girlfriend...of course it's safe for the girlfriend. What about the kid?? That's some seriously loud sounds you are making them listen too. If it damages your fully grown adult ears, what will it do to an unborn child's??

If it were my kid, I would have her take a season off from shooting,
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:42 pm

TROB wrote:Wow...lots of selfish people on here. I'm kind of surprised that most of you are talking about it being safe for the girlfriend...of course it's safe for the girlfriend. What about the kid?? That's some seriously loud sounds you are making them listen too. If it damages your fully grown adult ears, what will it do to an unborn child's??

If it were my kid, I would have her take a season off from shooting,

Thank you for your opinion. It is very helpful.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum