Introduction

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Introduction

Postby PrairieBelle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Hello! I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself - I'm from Iowa, started hunting upland birds about 6 years ago and picked up the waterfowl obsession about three years ago. I didn't grow up in the waterfowl world - In fact I didn't even pick up a gun until I was 20 or so... but it didn't take long before I was hooked. I was lucky that many of my coworkers hunt and after a certain amount of pestering, they gave me some pointers. Our local duck forum has been a blessing as I'm pretty much self taught. It took a while, but I'm starting to figure things out! :biggrin: I don't know very many waterfowlers, and I certainly don't know any women who hunt around here so introduce yourselves if you're in the area! Thanks - looking forward to chatting with you folks. :hi:
PrairieBelle
hunter

Re: Introduction

Postby LadyK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm

:welcome:
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby smitty14 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Hello Prairie bell,

I just joined this site, too. I am originally from PA and didn't grow up in the hunting world at all, but found out I love shooting. I'm trying to get into hunting (particularly duck) and wondering if you had any suggestions, as apparently you went the same route.
smitty14
hunter

Postby PrairieBelle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

smitty14 wrote:Hello Prairie bell,

I just joined this site, too. I am originally from PA and didn't grow up in the hunting world at all, but found out I love shooting. I'm trying to get into hunting (particularly duck) and wondering if you had any suggestions, as apparently you went the same route.

Hi smitty - welcome to the site and the world of waterfowling! In my experience duck hunting was the hardest world to break into - mostly because I didn't know very many people who hunted waterfowl and the ones I did know were pretty cliquey. There aren't many women and what I found is that most people a) didn't take me seriously or b) thought I was slumming for dates. I think I've proved them all wrong. :yes:

I don't know much about your part of the country, but I would try to get in with some conservation groups - Pheasants Forever, Delta Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited... you might call one of the regional reps and ask if they have any youth/women/beginning hunter workshops. Another good resource is the local hunters education instructors, they usually know everyone and can give you a heads up if there are special hunts or classes coming up. BOW is great, too. I guess the #1 thing for me was getting out and meeting people who are active in the sport. I spent my first couple of seasons on my own, and I will always have an appreciation for the solo hunt... but there's something to be said about the social aspect of waterfowling and I learned a lot faster from watching others! :) Oh - and even if you can't be in the blind... get yourself a good pair of binoculars and watch the ducks! You'll have a head start on duck ID and behavior.. plus, its fun! :thumbsup:

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email if you ever want to pick my brain -- and if you come through my neck of the woods, we can try to get you on some birds.
PrairieBelle
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum