hi i'm new

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

hi i'm new

Postby happyshooter » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi there girls. I just started shooting clays this summer and am thinking of giving duck hunting a go (at least once with my boyfriend). I signed up on here to learn all i can so i don't seem too dumb when i do go out hunting with him. I would love to hear any tips, advice and such you have to offer. And if anyone else is really small (5feet 2inches, 105lbs) i would love to know what semi auto works best for you. I'm having a heck of a time finding a gun that doesn't beat the crap out of my shoulder after shooting 100 clays. Lately I've been using a bretta urika. It's nice but i couldn't afford to buy a gun like this for myself.
looking forward to chatting with you all, Jacquie
happyshooter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:55 am

:welcome:

Welcome to the site!! I'm not a woman so I can't help you out on the female perspective, but it is great to have you here.

After reading your post I am hoping you may be able to help me out down the road. It sounds like I am in a simiar position as your boyfriend. This summer I introduced my girlfriend to clays shooting and she loved it. I have a Remington 1100 Light Skeet in 20 guage that my dad gave me when I was young. It fits her very well and doesn't kick at all. My sister-in-law also used it to learn how to shoot. Both of these women are pretty small, though maybe not as small as you.

She has helped with training my bird dog and has fun with that too. This fall she is planning to take the hunters safety course and come in the field with us (by us I mean the dog and I). I am very excited about her enthusiasm and want to keep her interested long enough to get her hooked. If you have any suggestions on what I might do to make it more enjoyable I would appreciate it. On the flip feel free to ask away on this end.

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

hi matt

Postby happyshooter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:33 am

Doesn't really sound like you need any advice from me as to how you can keep your girlfriend interested in duck hunting, it sounds like she has fallen hard for the guns and dog and boy to be willing to get her hunter safety and give killing something a try. I know for me I really hate when who ever I'm with feels they need to tell me how to do something instead of letting me find what works for me. I'm not saying don't give her some general direction but she needs to find what feels good for her and what she is comfortable doing. She needs direction not critisism.

Otherwise keep doing what you are doing. I'm sure she loves that you are trying to envolve her in your passion (duck hunting seems to be much more than just a hobbie). As much as you want her to share this with you, I'm sure she wants to be conected to you and your favorite past time. There is nothing better than when you can connect with your mate while doing something that you both are really passionate about. And hey, you have a dog.... so you have the cute playful card to play.lol
Good luck with your first hunt together, only 2 more weeks to go.

Oh thanks for the advice on the gun. I actually like 12 gauges better than 20 gauges (i really like to bang it hard) but maybe i should consider sacrificing power for comfort.

Hugs and giggles, Jacquie
happyshooter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 am

Great advice!! Thanks! I try to let her discover things on her own without micro-managing her, but I definately worry that I help too much. I will try to let her come to me with questions.

As for the 12 guage vs the 20. You will find that a 20 guage round is just as hot and hits just as hard as the 12, there are just less pellets to kill with. The less lead (or steel) in the air means you have to be a better shot. There is a saying among the guys I hunt pheasants with in Iowa "Real men hunt with a 20".

The 20 guage is a lighter gun and is much easier for a smaller framed person to use, it is also a lot nicer to carry in the field. If you have access to one, or are thinking of buying a gun, I would suggest considering and trying out a 20.

:salude: :salude:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby happyshooter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:16 pm

I somewhat agree with on the 20 gauge vs the 12 gauge shot gun. I find that a beginner shooter like myself who isn't the most accurate yet has a better chance at actually huitting her target with a 12 gauge and because the 12 gauges are a heavier gun they tend to have a little less recoil.

I've only been shooting for a couple of months and have only shot in one sporting clays shoot, so I know I really don't have a big knowledge base to work from but from my experience so far a 12 gauge is the way to go. In the clay shoot I was using a 20 gauge and although I did find it much easier to shoulder and to carry, it really bit back. I was bruised for a week. I've been practicing with a 12 gauge beretta and it is quite a bit heavier and a little harder to shoulder comfortably but the recoil is much less and I seem to have a much better accuracy. (I've gone from 14% to 50% in a month and a half). Although now that I think of it, I am handling my gun better and I have learned allot more about shooting since my experiance with that little 20 gauge, and the beretta has a gas recoil absortion thingy and the 20 gauge browning gold didn't. So I guess I really should take your advice a give a good 20 gauge another go.
I'm taking part in an other sporting clays shoot this weekend , maybe I'll see if I could try someones 20 gauge for part of it and see how it compares.
hope to talk to you again, hugs and giggles, Jacquie
:thumbsup:
happyshooter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 pm

:welcome: To DHC, i'm glad to see more and more women joining up and getting excited about hunting. I set my wife up this season with a 1187 but she is a little taller than you BUT my mom is 5 nothing and see uses a 12 guage Rem 870 express is has a smaller stock. Also look into getting a limb saver recoil pad or a jell pad or some sort, our new 1187 came with jell pad and i loved it, shot 2 boxes with it and then picked up my moss and shot and man it really makes a difference.

Everyone love throwin in there 2 cents so any question are welcomed, weather you think there dumb or not. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 am

Welcome!
My wife just started hunting ducks 2 years ago. She i 5'-7" and probably 125lbs soaking wet. She now shoots a Benneli 20 and loves it...the autos will not kick as much as a pump or over/under.

The best way to impress your boyfriend is to learn that duck call...of course if your better than him, he may not want you to go again! :laughing:

See ya around the Duck Calling Forum!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

welcome

Postby FemDuckHunter » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:08 pm

I have personally been hunting since I've been about 12 yrs old. I guess I grew up and learned the hard way. The guns I grew up using were my father's and uncles. They are all over 6 ft tall, so I grew up being bruised after shooting, since their guns were way too long for me. I'm 5'8", but a fitted stock makes all the difference. 3 yrs ago, I bought myself a 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a shorter stock fitted for me. That made such a difference.
You may also want to try different ammos. My father prefers to shoot with the magnums, but I find these too hard on my shoulder, so I tend to stick with the regular number 2's for duck and geese.
Also, let me give you a tip, when wearing waders with plastic shoulder buckles, make sure the buckle isn't under your stock when you shoot at a flock of geese coming into your blind, the stock will bounce off the buckle and smack you in the face. It leaves a nice mark on your face.
FemDuckHunter
hunter

Postby girls_hunt_too! » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Just a thought. I am also a 5ft 2in female. I began hunting with a Mossberg 20ga model 535 pump. It barely kicked and I became a great shot with it... it was a little too long for me. When I looked at bumping up to a 12 gauge it became ALOT harder to find one that would fit me. I was forced to look at youth models. I ended up buying a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag and had the stock shortened. That might be an idea for you. I think a gun manufacturer could make a KILLING selling regular sized guns with shorter stocks to target smaller people! My advice would be to start with a 20 gauge. It will definately be an advantage in the long run, because you do have to be a better shot with it. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!! :thumbsup:
girls_hunt_too!
Newb

okay I'm hunting this sunday

Postby happyshooter » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:00 am

Okay I'm going to do it! My boyfreind is taking me out hunting this Sunday Oct.15. He said that all I need to do is decide what I would like to hunt for ... I could go hunting for ruff grouse or do some jump shooting in the marsh for ducks. (I have to go in the afternoon, only time I could get a sitter) I can't decide. Whayt do you all recomend? Let me know soon so I can make a chioce by Sunday. Thanks :getdown:
"Throw 'em high and bang 'em hard!"
happyshooter
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum