Looking for some female advice

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Postby blackduck_killer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm buying my girlfriend a shotgun for her birthday, and I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Sa-08 semi-auto and the Benelli Nova. The other debate is 12 gauge or 20, she is comfortable shooting a 12 guage but she wants it to be light weight, I don't know if a 12 in these light guns would bother her?
So I geuss I'm looking for input from female hunters.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 pm

The nova is pretty heavy.
Willie
hunter

Re: Looking for some female advice

Postby PrairieBelle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

blackduck_killer wrote:I'm buying my girlfriend a shotgun for her birthday, and I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Sa-08 semi-auto and the Benelli Nova. The other debate is 12 gauge or 20, she is comfortable shooting a 12 guage but she wants it to be light weight, I don't know if a 12 in these light guns would bother her?
So I geuss I'm looking for input from female hunters.

The Nova is a pretty heavy gun and it iskicks harder than any semi-auto. I had a Nova for a (very) short time, but it kicked like a mule so I got rid of it. I hunt with a 12 exclusively and don't usually have any problems but I do take weight into consideration because I tend to do a lot of walk in hunting and want the versatility of using the gun for upland game... is there any way you can have her shoulder some of the guns you are looking at? If she doesn't have long arms, some guns may be unnatural to shoulder. I have long arms so I don't run into that problem, but I have found that some guns fit my hands a lot better - ie SBEII is finer stocked than the A400. Good luck - I'm sure she'll be thrilled with whatever you find!
PrairieBelle
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 am

I should have speciefied the Nova would be in a 20 gauge making it a similar weight to the Weatherby Semi both weighing in at around 6.5lbs. Unfortanetly I don't think I'll be able to get her to handle it with out ruinning the suprise. I do know she loves my Browning Silver Hunter for informal clay shooting and early season duck hunts. Her only complaints are it quickly gets heavey if theres much walking required and if its cold enough she needs more then a hoodie to stay warm it becomes slightly too long in the stock. I'm thinking a youth stocked 20 guage may be the answer.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby wingman449 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 am

Go with the Super Nova. Its has the recoil reduction in the stock and is one heck of a gun. My wife shoots mine all the time and she is a small woman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
wingman449
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 am

I am 5"1 104 lb. I shoot a Rem 12 g. 870 mag 28 inch barrel, this is a turkey killer if I can haul mine in the Rocky's unless your wife is smaller than I am she should be fine with most shotguns just shorten the but if need be and put a sling on it so she's just holding it when she needs it. Using lighter loads will lighten the kick I use Heivi loads because they have the stopping power I want but are not killing me at the same time. :bow:
One shot one kill

Don't run in on another hunters gobbler EARN yours!

Female hunter and loving it.
RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

My fiance bought me a Beretta Extrema A391 original. I'm a whopping 5'4 and 125 lbs and I have never had any problems with recoil. I guess I would just suggest an automatic, and a sling ;) My 13 year old son shot a 20 gauge up until last year when he switched to a 12 gauge. In all honesty when I'm duck hunting I'm not really holding my gun ALL of the time so the weight of it makes no difference to me. Walking miles and miles in the mountains elk hunting my rifle got HEAVY but duck hunting... nope never really have complained about it.
Tinner4
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I found a remington 1100 in very good shape that she's going to be recieving for her birthday. I'm also going to keep my eyes open for a double barrel 20 guage or similar lightweight gun for her to use in the uplands.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum