What is a good duck call to start out?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

What is a good duck call to start out?

Postby DuckGirl1989 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

I am not new to duck hunting, but I am new to the calling world. I am wondering what is a good brand an type of call to start out with?
DuckGirl1989
hunter

Re: What is a good duck call to start out?

Postby Burruel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Try buck gardners double nasty... The cheaper calls can be user friendly, this one will only set you back around $40.

If you want to spend a little more, I love my echo pure meat.
"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."
"If the NBA was on channel five and a bunch of frogs making love were on channel four, I’d watch the frogs, even if they were coming in fuzzy.” Bobby Knight
Burruel
hunter

Re: What is a good duck call to start out?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 pm

The first two question I would ask are how much do you want to spend and how much do you think you'll practice?

If your looking for something in the mid-priced range, the new "XTC" by Gander Valley Custom Calls is awesome. It's a molded acrylic for $60 and can be set up as a single or double reed. I have a single reed and it's a great sounding call. And it's a call that you can grow into. Mark at GVCC provides fantastic customer service. Just call him tell him what calling level you're at and what you're looking for in a call, and he'll get you set up. He even gave me calling lessons over the phone at no extra charge last year, and will do that for anyone.

If you're looking for a cheaper poly call, I'd probably go with either a poly Echo or with RNT's Quackhead line.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum