Looking for warm Waterfowl Clothing.

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Looking for warm Waterfowl Clothing.

Postby Chloe.23 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 am

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on warm waterfowl gear. I've had a really difficult time trying to find something that not only will fit properly, but will also be practical. I have a very difficult time keeping warm so its very important that I find jacket and pants that will help me stay as warm as possible. I have tried men's clothing and although not horrible it just doesn't as well as I'd like as I'm quite small and only 5ft.

So if anyone has some recommendations I would really appreciate some help!! (:
Chloe.23
Newb

Re: Looking for warm Waterfowl Clothing.

Postby Burruel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 am

Cabelas line is pretty warm, although I don't believe it's waterproof...
"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."
"If the NBA was on channel five and a bunch of frogs making love were on channel four, I’d watch the frogs, even if they were coming in fuzzy.” Bobby Knight
Burruel
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Check out River's West. I have not found anything warmer.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby Goosebumps » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Prois Pro-Edition Jacket, Cazadora women's waders. (at Cabelas) A moisture-wicking base layer long sleeve tee shirt. It's thin fabric. (REI, Amazon, most sporting goods stores) Smart-wool long johns, bottoms and top. Smart-wool knee-high hunter's socks, (Amazon) Prois fuzzy camo neck gaiter and beanie. (Sportsman's Warehouse) I use fuzzy camo gloves that have half fingers and then the mitten top flips back to a velcro patch, to expose the fingers, or if its really cold you can flip then down over your fingers. All these items are toasty warm. Pressure activated hand warmer packets. Good luck!
Goosebumps
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 am

Just bought my daughter cabelas insulated bibs on sale for $118 in shadowgrass blades she said they are warm. :hi: Haven't been in the wet yet but we mostly hunt in layout blinds :grooving:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Waterfowl_junky38 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Drake waterfowl has a womens line that's warm also look into the Columbia omni heat clothing line I don't know if they still have their performance hunting gear line otherwise look into a green black or brown. Hope this helps.
I'm a girl and pink camo pisses me off seriously what are you hunting flamingos?!?!?!
Waterfowl_junky38
Newb

Postby bwpt95 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Dry blind:
Under Armour cold gear long sleeve shirt w/ zip up and thumb holes; thermal long sleeve shirt; fleece vest; RedHead UltraDry or whatever it's called jacket; fleece neck gaiter; fleece camo beanie; glomits with heater packs in. Bottom half, fleece leggings under insulated RedHead ultraDry or whatever and Muck boots with thick socks.

If it gets colder will add heated insoles and sticky hot packs on my low back where the shivers start!

Wet: as above underneath Cordora waders from Cabela's with extra pair of "diabetes" socks. I got these socks at Walgreens, advertised for diabetic feet but are the warmest socks I've ever owned.
bwpt95
hunter

Postby Jlang1221 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Drake Waterfowl has a great line of womens clothing
Jlang1221
Newb

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:19 am

Wool will be the warmest. I like llbeans water fowlers sweater with the wind proof lining. A lot warmer than my drake and under armour pull overs. Other than that I like to layer with under armour cold gear, then UA 4.0 then my wool sweater.

I do the same layering except US skyweeper pants for my legs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby emartinez11 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:03 am

I have drake waterfowl waders and i wear wool socks and like the man said above, the diabetic socks as well..They are meant to make your feet warm and keep blood flowing, so for a duck hunter, thats gold.

Check out hunting socks as they are normally better made, anything 100% wool will help.

Dont skimp on warm weather clothes, especially since you said you stay pretty cold. Check out the cabelas line and drake waterfowl line. If i remember correctly, there was once a jacket that had built in "warmth" insulator, like some sort of double A, battery operated ssystem inside the jacket that put off heat.
emartinez11
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 pm

It was a Columbia omitech. Priced when it hit the market at 1200 since then they went to the bargain cave for a couple hundred bucks and to the best of my knowledge they don't make them anymore since they had a lot of problems with the heating elements.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Don't look to waterfowl outerwear for warmth. Think base layers. I wear the under armour 3.0, and on top of that a one piece "union suit" long underwear... you know the kind with the butt flap. :) Start there and then go to wool sweaters etc, and If it's real cold I wear my ski pants under my waders... This is Canada. The waterfowl gear just doesn't cut it for warmth... they call that stuff "parka's" but my actual parka is like 7 times the size/weight of my waterfowl coat. You HAVE to supplement in layers. Really look at it like each layer has a purpose. I have the Cabelas brushbuster 4 in 1 system... like any other waterfowl system it isn't very warm but it's the most waterproof gear I have ever used. It's the gore-tex stuff... love it. under armour is great, LL bean has great union suits, WIGWAM socks... the complete best and warmest sock on the planet, they have different levels, I wear all three at once.. lol
Oh and as my pops always says... 80% of your heat goes out the top of your head... so put a lid on it.
My last duck hunt was out in -5 f.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 am

Read an old book from the 60's that tells how to dress warm for waterfowl hunting. What it said is still true today imo.

For long underwear nothing is better than polypropylene. The old school polypropylene was very soft, thin, and warm. Used to be able to get Duo-Fold brand or Morgan brand with poly inner and cotton outer layer. Those were very good but not available anymore. The new poly long underwear is nowhere near as soft and doesn't stay new looking very long but it is very warm. :thumbsup:

Wool is the best for your next layer. Get some wool pants. Find a nice wool shirt you are comfortable in.

Next you put on your waders and a waterproof camo shell or if it's dry use a drake pullover that's camo like the LST.
I use my Drake pullover most of the season.

You may be wondering why the wool and poly? It keeps you warm even when it's wet and dries quickly as well. You just plan on getting wet from a dog shaking or whatever. There is no such thing as waterproof in a duck blind. :wink:
Style don't matter either when all you care about is warmth and comfort.

(year old thread bumpage)
AB strikes again.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum