Ok girls...anyone know how to call?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Ok girls...anyone know how to call?

Postby huntinchick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:09 pm

My husband introduced me to goose hunting a couple of years ago. Big mistake on his part, as I am dragging him out of bed and chomping at the bit when season opens. Been hunting with my husband and blind buddies for 3 seasons now and have taken a number of geese, but I know nothing of calling and I am beginning to feel a bit worthless in the blind, as I just kill the geese when they come in. Don't like getting all the glory while the guys do the work. Would love to learn anything, even if only for background noise. Any suggestions on what is the best way to learn calling and a good call to start out with? I asked this same question to the guys out on the goose calling forum, with no response as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
huntinchick
Newb

Postby ernurse » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:30 pm

The best thing you can do is buy a tape or CD made to teach duck/goose calling. You can practice in the car on your way to work. :mrgreen:

good luck it takes a little practice but once you try it on some birds and you see them respond--you will grow more confident.
ernurse
Newb

Postby Admin2 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:00 am

Buy the DVD or VHS tape instead of the CD or cassette. The reason is that on goose calls, how you hold and manipulate your hands is critical for the back pressure, and thus the sound that is emitted. When you see it done, it is much easier to understand, and thus a shorter learning curve.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Im the goose caller in the family. lmao also the only female hunter in the family ive been hunting canada's since i was nine, im now 24 the simplest call to use and effective is the who's it call u simply blow into the call saying who's it with the who's drawn out for about two extra seconds longer than the it. or the bark which is just it it it it, gotta be careful with the bark too fast is an alarm call and will flair ur birds quicker than snot, but if u should combine the who's it with the bark its pretty effective and if you should have a flock flying away from u that u may want to try to turn call commmmme back commme back along with the who's it and the bark. My father and i have raised wild canada geese. i learned from boredom :smile: Hopefully this will help you at some point. the wrong call can make em go bye bye the right one can have em in ur fryin pan :devil:

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:16 pm

I cant help you much with the goose calling, im not long winded enough but i can do a duck call pretty well. you can always go on to the calling section and ask if there is anyone on there that is willing to teach you how to properaly call on a goose call that way you arnt jsut watching it on tv so if you have any questions you can ask the person that is helping you. that is how i learned to use a duck call was i went on there and bret offered to help me. another thing that you can do is ask you hubby or bf wichever that you have to come along with you and he might learn some pointers to and it gives him pratice and you someone to pratice with.
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby dog » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Well, first find an easy and good call. I started with a long flute canada gosse call and taught myself. :smile:
dog
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:58 pm

So I know this thread is old, but for anyone who is newer to the forum and looking through to see if their question has already been answered...

My boyfriend picked up a great video on Goose calling and it's called Bad Grammer

http://www.midwestwaterfowloutfitters.c ... -threinen/

Practice and let someone listen to you. Us women tend to over-think everything, especially second guess ourselves on whether or not we are doing things well... when really we're fine
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby huntergirlhotty » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:27 pm

What about a recommendation for a brand of duck call or GOOSE call .........that fits our small mouths ?????? Some of these guys calls are just too big .

any ideas ??????
"if it flies it dies"
huntergirlhotty
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 am

2 Easy calls that sound great and include a free instruction cd.

1 Canada Goose Flute Calling System http://www.illusionsystems.com/product_detail/770/

2 Competition Clucker Goose Calling System
http://www.illusionsystems.com/product_detail/780/
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:57 am

I'll second the Bad Grammar dvd, that really helped me understand how to use a short reed. I was completely new too calling.

huntergirl - I'm not sure about smaller barrels, I'm still pretty new. My problem was not being able having enough hot air (my friends would deny that.:lol:) to get a call to break over. I had Gander Valley Custom Calls recommended to me, and Mark the owner put together a nice easy to break delrin Powerhouse together for me. I love it. I've been practicing quite a bit and between the new call and the instructional DVD I'm a passable beginner now. I have a long way to go however.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby huntergirlhotty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am

THANKS !!!!!
"if it flies it dies"
huntergirlhotty
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:00 pm

DR-85 Haydel is a small call for ducks.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 pm

okiequacker wrote:DR-85 Haydel is a small call for ducks.
small, easy to blow, inexpensive.... and works!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum