What are the lady's using for a deer rifle?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

What are the lady's using for a deer rifle?

Postby blackduck_killer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 am

Hello lady's, my girlfriend has expressed an interest in deer hunting and I'm just curious what you may be using. Particularly if you chose it yourself.
She has plenty of experience shooting rifles, she has shot competitively with .22 and small bore bench rest, but she is shy of recoil. She has no issue with a 12 gauge shotgun but is hesitant to try either of my deer rifles, a .32 special and .30-06 I suspect part of the issue may be muzzle blast as the .32 in particular is mild mannered as far as recoil is concerned but is extremely loud with its short barrel.
I'm thinking something along the lines of a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 may be a good choice and would allow her to use the same rifle for moose if she ever got drawn. While still be gentle on the shoulder and pleasent to carry.
Thoughts opinions and suggestions welcome
blackduck_killer
hunter

Re: What are the lady's using for a deer rifle?

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 am

You are right on the money. My wife shoot a Remington 700 7m-08. Got her the youth model. Dropped a few deer I theirtracks. You may have to play around with different bullet manufacturers. Her rifle would only group nosler customs well (for my standards).
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 am

That's what my buddy's mom shoots is an -08. Also shoots a 6mm

Not saying there isn't, but I don't know about a small cal. deer rifle that would double for moose. If that's the case, might as well have a different cal. gun and just deal with the recoil for the few shots sighting something in and getting comfortable, and then shooting the moose.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby blackduck_killer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Seriously over estimating the toughness of moose. They die very easily if shot in the vitals, and a hunter would be far better off shooting a .30-30 or .257 Roberts that they shot well and were confident and comfortable with as opposed to something larger. The 7mm-08 is perfectly capable of moose although some would argue that.
With the wide selection of bullets available to a hand loader and the light recoiling nature is why I was leaning towards a light weight carbine in either 7mm-08 or .308 Winchester.
She's decide she really likes the Savage American classic stainless, and the .270 Winchester, so that's probably what she'll get herself.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:14 am

blackduck_killer wrote:Seriously over estimating the toughness of moose. They die very easily if shot in the vitals, and a hunter would be far better off shooting a .30-30 or .257 Roberts that they shot well and were confident and comfortable with as opposed to something larger. The 7mm-08 is perfectly capable of moose although some would argue that.
With the wide selection of bullets available to a hand loader and the light recoiling nature is why I was leaning towards a light weight carbine in either 7mm-08 or .308 Winchester.
She's decide she really likes the Savage American classic stainless, and the .270 Winchester, so that's probably what she'll get herself.

If shes's fine shooting a .270 she can't be that recoil sensitive. .270 and 30-06 are arguably the best do all calibers for contig US short of dangerous game
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Idaho Savage » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Buy a .270 and have a muzzle brake put on it...it'll be like a .22. Make sure you buy a decent scope with plenty of eye relief, too--not having the scope kick near your face helps get your brain over recoil.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:50 am

I have two lady hunting buddies that both shoot 7mm-08's. One has a Remington Mountain rifle and the other a Winchester Featherweight. They kill everything with them, including elk. I have a Winchester Featherweight '08 as well and it is a "meat gun". When it goes bang, you need to make room in the freezer. :wink:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum