BOW

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

BOW

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:01 am

Becoming an Outdoors-Woman programs are in many states.

Here is the MN link. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/education/bow/index.htm

An very worth while thing for inexperienced women wanting a less pressured learning experience. A friend of mine is an instructor for BOW.

For other state chapter/programs of BOW, just do a google search :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby southernBuster » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:12 pm

hey thanks for the info !! we appreciate it !!
love the girl , love her Chessie!
southernBuster
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40 pm

There is still time to sign up for the 11th annual Becoming an Outdoors-Woman Workshop Aug. 19-21 at Lake Metigoshe State Park, Bottineau.

The workshop is directed toward women at least 18 years old who want to learn more about outdoor activities.

The workshop offers 27 different seminars, each of which lasts more than three hours. Sessions contain 45 minutes of lecture with the remainder dedicated to hands-on instruction. Participants are limited to four sessions, and each session has room for 12 women.

Classes offered include fishing and fly-fishing, bird identification, plant identification, beginning bow hunting, birds and their nests, canoeing, predator calling, handling and cooking game, decoy carving, GPS adventure and introduction to rifles.

Participants will stay in dorms and must provide their own bedding and towels. All camp facilities are handicap accessible. Equipment will be provided unless noted in course description.

The cost is $120 and enrollment is limited to 100 participants. Registration must be completed by Aug. 1. To receive an information brochure and enrollment form, contact Nancy Boldt, North Dakota Game and Fish Department, 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501-5095 or call 701-328-6312, email: ndgf@state.nd.us. Enrollment forms are also available at the department’s website at discovernd.com/gnf; click on the education-outreach tab and look for the BOW link.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:20 am

Sorry for the intrusion ladies, but I thought this fit in better here than any where else on the site.

Government Home > Natural Resources > Extension and Education Programs > Becoming an Outdoors-Woman
| Site Index
Government of Nova Scotia Natural Resources

Learn outdoor skills .... have FUN ! ...an adventure for you!

BOW Newsletter

Images from the 2004 Workshop

Images from the 2003 Workshop

Comments

BOW International Homepage

Contact the NS BOW Co-ordinator

Need Acrobat Reader?

BOW® is a mix of fishing, hunting and other outdoor pursuits that combines a fellowship experience with women.

The focus of BOW is to make the outdoors truly accessible to women.

Upcoming Workshops

Fall BOW 2005
Sept. 16 - 18, 2005
Camp Kadimah,
Barss Corner, NS

Email: bowns@gov.ns.ca

To register contact
Krista McLarty
1-(902) 424-8614

Registration Form

mclartkl@gov.ns.ca

The Becoming an Outdoors -Woman® (BOW) program is a workshop primarily aimed at women but is an opportunity for anyone 18 years or older to learn outdoor skills - skills usually associated with hunting and fishing, but useful for many outdoor pursuits.

Originally started in the United States in 1991, Nova Scotia began offering the program to women in 1997. Its primary focus is assisting people to overcome barriers, whether social or financial, to learning outdoor skills.

If you are a novice or have no experience in fishing, hunting or other outdoor sports but want to learn, this program is for you.

Some examples of the types of the classes offered. Several are offered in the program with some being repeated. All are experiential.

Rifle Bass Fishing Mountain Biking
Shotgun
Flyfishing Camping
Archery/Bowhunting Trout Stream Insect Study Exploring the Fundy Coast
Bowhunting Trout Fishing Outdoor Cooking
Archery Mackeral Fishing Kayaking
Cooking Wild Edibles Reading the Water Canoe Tripping
Muzzle Loading Flytying Canoeing (River)
Snaring/Trapping Saltwater Fishing Canoeing (Lake)
Animal Signs Plant Identification Hiking/Backpacking
Firearm Safety and Handling Attracting Wildlife Survival
Navigation Medicinal Plants Wilderness Ethics
Nature Photography Wild Game Preparation and Cooking First Aid
Horseback Riding Kids and Camping ATV
Hunting-Values, Ethics and Preparation Hunting with Dogs Boat, Motor, Trailer
Stream Study - Preparing for a Day of Fishing Long Guns

Winter BOW Classes
Beginning Snowmobiling & Emergency Tips
Flytying
Hunting Basics
Ice Fishing
Journal Writing
Nature in Winter
Navigation
Cross Country Skiing
Falconry
Firearm Safety, Storage & Handling
Snaring/Trapping
Winter Camping
Winter Clothing/Winter Safety
Winter Food
Winter Survival
Winter Tracking

Some Comments from BOW participants:

" Great Program - opened up an even wider enjoyment and
appreciation of the woods and out-of-doors"
--- C. Baldock

"This was my first BOW and I was certainly impressed with the quality of instruction, the organization of the entire event and the general friendly attitude of everyone. I believe there would be more women beating down a door to get here if they new about the program and how great it is.."
--- C. Sears

In two and a half days I did target shooting with both a rifle and a bow. I went fishing, learned basic orienteering and had a basic course in rifle safety. I learned about wildlife habits and habitats, ate great food, won prizes, met fun people and had a wonderful time. No exaggeration."
--- M. MacDonald

"I had a wonderful time. I will drive everyone I know crazy because I'm not going to stop talking about this weekend for a long, long time. Can't wait until the next one."
--- B.J. Stewart

Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:29 pm

The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HuntingWife » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:49 am

Thanks for the info!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

MN BOW

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:21 pm

More MN BOW events:

Ice Fishing Weekend on Mille Lacs Lake

Date:
01/13/2006 to 01/15/2006

Description:
Course details: Spend the weekend on the Lake where a bathroom, bunks, cooking facilities and TV are all part of the icehouse. Fishing license required. Saturday and Sunday meals, equipment and instructor included in package. Limit to 5 participants. Course dates and times: January 13-15, 2006 Cost: $180.00 Registration: Call DNR Information Center to Register at 1-888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157. You can click on the link below to print off a registration form and send in.

Winter Tracking and Snowshoeing

Date:
01/22/2006

Time:
1 PM to 4 PM

Description:
Course details: Join us for tracking instruction before exploring the habitat and wildlife of the beautiful Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Regional Park in the northern Metro area on snowshoes. We'll look for otters, red fox, deer, mink and all of our feathered winter friends before warming up around the fire with a hot beverage and some goodies. Instruction and snowshoes are included in the class fee. Limit to 15 participants. Course dates and times: January 22, 2006 from 1:00--4:00p.m. Cost: $15.00 Registration: Call DNR Information Center to Register at 1-888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157. You can click on the link below to print off a registration form and send in.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info, Trois!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum