Duck Calls

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Duck Calls

Postby one ducky lady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Do any of you ladies have any nice colored calls? I've seen a couple pink ones that I love (some pink and black, some pink and clear and some all pink) I just haven't settled on one.. or two or three yet.

If you have a color or color scheme you're particularly fond of load the pics up :)
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm still learning calling, so I've stuck with the calls that I've gotten for a good price for now.

I have a Knight and Hale Bachelorette

and a Quackhead Double J

I also picked up a wood duck call last winter and we'll see how that works at our secret wood duck spot. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 pm

I love the red one, the hubby gave me a similar looking one that I keep in my car to practice on the way to work and class with :rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:03 am

I do the same thing. We always have a couple of calls in the car (or for me, purse). We get a kick out of people's stares while we practice driving down the road. :lol:

I really need to get a goose call, though. Early season is right around the corner! Woohoo!

I'm not sure which call I like better. The Bachelorette is very easy to blow, but the Double J has a nice sound to it. It kept sticking when it got wet, but the hubby took it apart, fiddled around with it a little and it works a lot better now. He has a Quackhead call too, and his also has great sound. Although we've noticed that they're each starting to get cracks around the barrel. It hasn't affected the sound yet, but still disappointing.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Yeah the looks that you get when you practice in your car are hysterical... I also have cd's to practice with and sometimes people can hear it outside of my car.. hilarious.

My hubby's bday gift was a wood lathe to make calls with so i'm sure there will be absolutely no shortage of calls for us... i'm definitely planning on having a rainbow of calls to have fun with.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 am

Cool! Sounds like a neat gift!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Redheaded Girl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 pm

call me old fashioned i have a faulk original goose call and my dad has original faulk duck calls im also fond of DU's canadian flute by knight n hale
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:38 am

Woohoo! I just got "Bad Grammar" in the mail yesterday and my husband and I have custom Gander Valley goose calls coming! I can't wait to start practicing!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

New to this forum

Postby mallardmom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:45 am

At last, women that hunt. Im new to the site. I live in ABQ NM and love to duck hunt mostly, but enjoy flyfishing and other hunting.
At the moment Im into duck calling. My husband bought me a wooden Daisy Cutter call and still trying to get used to it. I think I do better with the acrylic calls. Any of you do competition calling? I would like to give that a try, but need lots of advice and a ton of practice. Looking forward to many conversations about the great outdoors.
mallardmom
Newb

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 am

Mallardmom, welcome to the site! :welcome:

I've heard the Daisy Cutter is a pretty good call. I'm still using cheap duck calls, but I may splurge and buy myself a custom call from a local callmaker in the spring. I love the custom goose call I ordered though. I'd highly recommend Gander Valley to anyone, the customer service was awesome.

I don't know much about competition calling, other than what I've read. It would be pretty cool, but right now I'm just hoping to fool ducks while I'm out. ;)

I'd love to learn to flyfish! I'm just afraid of getting into one more expensive hobby. lol. I do some panfish and bass fishing in the summer. Nothing too serious, we just have fun being outside. And the hubby and I found a great spot for channel cat's late last year. We'll be trying for those ugly things, when the weather warms up. I deer hunt, started turkey hunting last spring, and we're about to start a lot of bunny hunting for the next three months.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:13 am

Almost forgot to mention that I generally leave the two calls I posted about earlier in the shoebox and now my go-to call is a Big River Duck Buster. It's a cheap acrylic call, but it works great for me. And it's a pretty blue. :wink:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum