Learning to shoot

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Learning to shoot

Postby one ducky lady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:35 pm

This weekend I was attempting to learn how to shoot.

I was wondering if you ladies could offer me any advice on aiming for the target. We were using stationary clay targets and I understood the direction to aim the pin on the end of the barrel at the bottom of the target... but I overshot above it every time.

When the hubby checked from my viewpoint he said that I was way off.. but to me it looked perfectly lined up.

Is there any advice you can offer about this or did any of you experience this as well?
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:43 am

I wonder if you are cross Dominant? Meaning you are left eye dominant but are right handed. Or vice versa. It occasionally happens to both gals and guys.

The other thing is if shooting high, how much barrel are you seeing? From the receiver to the front bead, you should not be seeing the barrel. If seeing 1/2" of barrel you will shoot way high.

Another thing is you do not aim a shotgun when using birdshot. Rather you point it. Think of the gun as an extension of your arm and fore finger and you are pointing it at something .

I hope this helps a little.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 am

something i did with my son last year was to have him carry a broom handle around with him, and constantly swing on doves and any other birds that flew past, it seemed to help a lot, the purpose is to get used to swinging thru the target and to get a sight picture permanently in your head. give it a try
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Admin2 wrote:I wonder if you are cross Dominant? Meaning you are left eye dominant but are right handed. Or vice versa. It occasionally happens to both gals and guys.

The other thing is if shooting high, how much barrel are you seeing? From the receiver to the front bead, you should not be seeing the barrel. If seeing 1/2" of barrel you will shoot way high.

Another thing is you do not aim a shotgun when using birdshot. Rather you point it. Think of the gun as an extension of your arm and fore finger and you are pointing it at something .

I hope this helps a little.

What he said. :)

I grew up rifle shooting and have had a hard time training myself not to aim but rather "point" at the target. I'm getting much better, but it's taken a lot of practice.

Another thing you might want to look into are the Women in the Outdoors and Becoming an Outdoors Woman programs. They both have great workshops and events for women to learn various outdoor skills. The events are a lot of fun and very informational. I'll be attending a BOW shotgun clinic here in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to the practice and the pointers that I'll get. Sometimes, it's easier to learn when the men you know best aren't teaching you. There's not as much pressure (it's self-inflicted, my husband is great, but I'm always more nervous when I'm shooting around him).

Check out these sites for events near you. :smile:
http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/events.html
http://www.uwsp.edu/CNR/bow/
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Admin2 wrote:I wonder if you are cross Dominant? Meaning you are left eye dominant but are right handed. Or vice versa. It occasionally happens to both gals and guys.

That starts to make me wonder, because with sports i've always been ambidextrous but i'm right handed ... and sometimes it seems that in sports I favor my left although it's not that much easier for me.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 am

Here's an easy way to find out which eye is dominant.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

I read recently that the vast majority of woman are cross-eye dominant. Which was news to me, I'm right-handed, right eye dominant. The things you learn!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks, I tried it and had a mixed bag of results, first time right, second time left, third and fourth time in the middle.. i'll have to try again when i'm thinking about it less :biggrin:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 am

Sounds like you are cross-eye dominant. From there, I'm really no help, I've never had to deal with it. :huh:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:Sounds like you are cross-eye dominant. From there, I'm really no help, I've never had to deal with it. :huh:

Aim at the one in the middle :lol:
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Redheaded Girl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm

i am cross eye dominant as im legally blind in my right eye...and yeah they let me shoot a gun lmfao anyways i have to shoot left handed otherwise i OVER compensate for the fact i dont see out of my right eye..maybe it'd be easier if i got my left eye moved to the middle of my forehead...ugh lol sorry. anywho u might try shooting left handed :biggrin:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 pm

All i can say is the more you think and aim the more you miss. When yo shoot over you are more than likly not getting down on the gun. Ever wonder how you can miss a turkey well you get exited and dont get down on the gun so you shoot way over same thing happens wing shooting also. And when giving leed get as far as you think you need to be then get a lot farther. :thumbsup:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am

Another idea that I did earlier this year is to take some huge pieces of paper out (we got it at Wal-Mart cheap) and shoot those. We taped it to a very large piece of cardboard with an X in the middle as our target. We were evaluating the different patterns with different loads and different chokes at different yards, but it also helped me realize that I was off slightly with my aim.

Maybe if you shoot a 22 and practice hitting a can is a good way to start. That is how I learned when I was a kid. The same basic principal then just carries over to a shot gun and you could try the paper thing mentioned above and then move on to moving clay birds.

Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 am

Remember however, that shooting a shotgun at moving targets is very different than aiming at a stationary target. I was always a rifle and pistol shooter and didn't start shotgunning until a couple years ago. I had a very hard time not aiming at a bird, which would result in me stopping my swing. I still have to be very conscious of it.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 am

And when giving leed get as far as you think you need to be then get a lot farther. :thumbsup:[/quote]

This is the advice I need to remember. My mind is just not working fast enough because I get so excited when a bird comes in.
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 am

I hear ya there. If I think I'm too far in front, then I'm usually ok. lol.

My husband just said last night that we're going to shoot a round of sporting clays on Sunday with some friends. That will be some much needed practice. Hopefully, I don't embarass myself too much.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:04 pm

find your target with your eyes..keep your eyes on the target...mount gun to cheek, swing and pull the trigger. Dont try and find your front sight and aim. your gun will go where you are looking. Don't think, just shoot. You will find you do lots better.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rman114 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Make sure have your cheeck against the stock and see absolutely no barrel. All you want to see is your bead.
rman114
hunter

Re: Learning to shoot

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am

i am also left eye dominate but i shoot right handed one thing that helped me when i was learning to shoot was a wore a patch on my eye and now i just have to check the eye that i am using to make sure that i am aming with the right eye. hope tis helps mrsjumpshooter
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Re: Learning to shoot

Postby fwlgrl24 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:53 pm

I have the left-eye dominance right-handed problem. What I did was train my right eye or I keep both eyes open. Also... I shoot skeet and trap competitively but have a very hard time hitting a stationary clay target, yet I can still hunt deer with a shotgun or rifle very well too... just a weird thing I guess... try getting someone to throw the targets for you so they dont go very far and then slowly move to a trap, maybe you'll do better with a moving target?
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Re:

Postby daffy... » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:18 pm

rman114 wrote:Make sure have your cheeck against the stock and see absolutely no barrel. All you want to see is your bead.

my thoughts exactly. more often than not if your shooting high or low its because of how your looking down the barrel. when buying a gun you want one that fall into this line up. especial on moving targets your cheek and face tend to hover above the gun "watching and pointing" the gun. really get that bead close to the reciever when you aim. thats the biggest problem ive ever had and on the flip side. ive had guns where when i pull up on targe the bead is cut in half by the reciever making me shoot low.

to correct this one time i took the gun and held it where i found myself looking down the barrel incorrectly. then i would look down it correctly (this was a feild prob, at the range it was no problem because i was taking my time to line up). i ended up putting a red line on the rib wear i could just see it if i mounted wrong. so if i was aiming at a duck and could see the red i knew i was aim wrong. drop my head in the right spot and the red would be gone. i bet the 6inch tru glo's would work the same
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum