Tell us about yourself!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Postby dog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:15 am

Hi, I am Lisa, I am 13 years old. I live near San Francisco CA. I LOVE duck hunting with my dad. I hunt at every opportunity and almost every weekend. I think I have gotten really good now at duck hunting. I can almost run thought the mud and water, I am the fastest one walking out to our blinds despite the fact that I am carrying almost 50 lbs about a mile there and back. I now am a great caller and have been updating my lanyard constantly. I made a goal this last season to get a limit (7), get a drake mallard, drake spoony, drake wigeon, and drake gadwall. I have succeeded in all, and now the season is almost over. :sad: I have shot some snipe, geese, and coots this year also. I don't hunt any big game yet, my dad isn't into that kind of thing.
Oh, a bit about my family, I have two sisters. My older sister is 16, a vegetarian, and hates my dad for some reason. My little sister is 8, a total spoiled brat, and is not really into hunting. My mom is a stay at home mom. My dad works at NASA. I have a black Labrador that is 14 years old named Thor. He is great though he can barley walk and I need to carry him everywhere. :sad: I also have a gun shy golden retriever that is 13 and named Butterscotch. My dad found her while hunting and decided after 3 years of working my butt off for a dog, he would let me keep her.
Anyone else around?
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Welcome

Postby Carolyn_Venable » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 am

dog wrote:Hi, I am Lisa, I am 13 years old. I live near San Francisco CA. I LOVE duck hunting with my dad. I hunt at every opportunity and almost every weekend. I think I have gotten really good now at duck hunting. I can almost run thought the mud and water, I am the fastest one walking out to our blinds despite the fact that I am carrying almost 50 lbs about a mile there and back. I now am a great caller and have been updating my lanyard constantly. I made a goal this last season to get a limit (7), get a drake mallard, drake spoony, drake wigeon, and drake gadwall. I have succeeded in all, and now the season is almost over. :sad: I have shot some snipe, geese, and coots this year also. I don't hunt any big game yet, my dad isn't into that kind of thing.
Oh, a bit about my family, I have two sisters. My older sister is 16, a vegetarian, and hates my dad for some reason. My little sister is 8, a total spoiled brat, and is not really into hunting. My mom is a stay at home mom. My dad works at NASA. I have a black Labrador that is 14 years old named Thor. He is great though he can barley walk and I need to carry him everywhere. :sad: I also have a gun shy golden retriever that is 13 and named Butterscotch. My dad found her while hunting and decided after 3 years of working my butt off for a dog, he would let me keep her.
Anyone else around?

:welcome: I think that is great!! I am new too but unlike you I am new to the site and new to Duck Hunting. I don't know if the time that is listed which BTW is 0315 is actually the time where your at but if it is and your not out of school for holiday or weather related then just my thoughts :oops: but then you should have been in bed. LOL That is the Mom in me talking. School and an Education is far more important!!!!!! BUT enough of the sermon....Congrats on the getting the Drakes :thumbsup: !!! Hope you have many more wonderful hunts to tell us about in the future..........

Carolyn
In peace the sons bury their fathers, but in war the fathers bury their sons.

Carolyn Odell
Carolyn_Venable
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 am

Welcome, Dog! You are EXACTLY what this sport needs.

I'm really glad to hear you hit all your goals, and I know what you mean about the approaching end of the season. I'm a new hunter and haven't gotten a bull sprig, and I'm hoping to get one before sunset on Sunday.

You sound like a terrific huntress.

I don't have any advice on your younger sister, but on the vegetarian? I say she probably deserves respect for living her values (not eating animals) as much as you do for living yours (getting your own meat animals instead of buying it at the store). I've found most vegetarians respect what I do, believe it or not!

Three cheers for your dad too, for taking you out in the field!

Good luck for the rest of the season!
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Re: Welcome

Postby dog » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Carolyn_Venable wrote:
dog wrote:Hi, I am Lisa, I am 13 years old. I live near San Francisco CA. I LOVE duck hunting with my dad. I hunt at every opportunity and almost every weekend. I think I have gotten really good now at duck hunting. I can almost run thought the mud and water, I am the fastest one walking out to our blinds despite the fact that I am carrying almost 50 lbs about a mile there and back. I now am a great caller and have been updating my lanyard constantly. I made a goal this last season to get a limit (7), get a drake mallard, drake spoony, drake wigeon, and drake gadwall. I have succeeded in all, and now the season is almost over. :sad: I have shot some snipe, geese, and coots this year also. I don't hunt any big game yet, my dad isn't into that kind of thing.
Anyone else around?

:welcome: I think that is great!! I am new too but unlike you I am new to the site and new to Duck Hunting. I don't know if the time that is listed which BTW is 0315 is actually the time where your at but if it is and your not out of school for holiday or weather related then just my thoughts :oops: but then you should have been in bed. LOL That is the Mom in me talking. School and an Education is far more important!!!!!! BUT enough of the sermon....Congrats on the getting the Drakes :thumbsup: !!! Hope you have many more wonderful hunts to tell us about in the future..........

Carolyn

Oh ya, I couldn't figure out the time zone thing, so that time was incorrect. :smile:
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Postby dog » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm

NorCal Cazadora wrote:Welcome, Dog! You are EXACTLY what this sport needs.

I'm really glad to hear you hit all your goals, and I know what you mean about the approaching end of the season. I'm a new hunter and haven't gotten a bull sprig, and I'm hoping to get one before sunset on Sunday.

You sound like a terrific huntress.

I don't have any advice on your younger sister, but on the vegetarian? I say she probably deserves respect for living her values (not eating animals) as much as you do for living yours (getting your own meat animals instead of buying it at the store). I've found most vegetarians respect what I do, believe it or not!

Three cheers for your dad too, for taking you out in the field!

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Thanks, you guys. It is much better talking to other girls than the men who don't understand anything about us. :tongue: :smile:
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 am

That's why we're here! I adore men, but sometimes they just don't understand us. It's always a huge relief to talk to other women hunters.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Redheaded Girl » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey my name is Tara.. i used to run the name female goose hunter..imma mom of three work at mc donalds and love hunting and fishing and taxidermy..im 24 and from royal iowa...well thats me...hiyas and laters :lol:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 am

Hi Tara! :welcome:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Redheaded Girl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:33 pm

hiya outdoor :biggrin:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby Redheaded Girl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Ok so way off the subject but i thought ud get a kick out of this...Its my 4 year old daughter DaKota and her uncle Rob's deer. She "helped" grandpa mount it
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby MicCog » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:55 am

Hi, I just joined this sight last night,so sorry for the late post....
My name is Tara (too) :smile:
I'm in greeley, co, and i've been hunting just about anything for most of my life....started with deer, elk...then upland, now waterfowl, been duck hunting for about 7 years now....since then I have little interest in hunting anything else than waterfowl....just something about sitting out at 4 am wondering what daybreak will bring into the decoys!!
just starting my journey into taxidermy as well, just waterfowl..so far lovin' that too!!!
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Welcome, Tara! :welcome:

You've taken the opposite path I've taken - I've started with ducks and I'm trying to branch out to big game, but I can't imagine how anything could be as fun as duck hunting.

Be sure to post some pics sometime to show us how the taxidermy is going.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:59 am

so far here's the best ones I've done....
[img][img]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh223/tara4574/duck001.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Redheaded Girl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm

:lol: i as well have been doing taxidermy but been doing it since i was lord ummm 10? so about 14 years. i specialize in deer heads tho..but from my point of view those are some gorgeous mounts keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby MicCog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 pm

thanks! I've had some real flops!!! But everyone says just keep trying, and you can tie it all together......that's sweet you've been doing it since you were a youngster! there's not that many of us out there.....I think this is sweet that this is dedicated to female hunters as well!!!
nice to know I'm not the only one out there....sometimes I feel like it though...I work with almost all women and I have to keep my passion to a min. there, I don't think it'd go over well with the members of PETA (I know of several) to have some duck mounts in my cubie....lol... :lol: I have thought about it though.... :eek:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Redheaded Girl » Mon May 05, 2008 5:07 pm

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals? :rofl:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby MicCog » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm

I like your thinking!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish, although I am tempted to get one of those shirts to wear to work!!! Probably get in trouble, not PC enough!!!
LOL!!!

:rofl:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby NicoleL » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:14 am

Hi,

Well as you can tell my names Nicole. My husband and I just stumbled upon this site. We have been married for about 5 years. Although I grew up in a hunting household I didn't really start hunting till we got married. I have found its a way for us to really connect.
NicoleL
Newb

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 am

:welcome:

My boyfriend introduced me to hunting, too, and I love our time in the field together - the ultimate in partnership.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:11 pm

New to the forum :)

Well sort of, i've been hiding over the hubby's shoulder for months while he went through EVERY post on this forum.... 20 times lol.

My name's Laryssa and i'm living in Delaware but from Canada. Just coming to understand the great mystery of how i'm just NOW becoming a hunter when I grew up in Canada (then again i'm only 19 :rofl: ) Hopefully this upcoming season i'll get out and kill some ducks and geese.. and head up to Canada for some moose :)

I'm so glad there are other women on this forum considering men will never understand us :)
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:35 am

Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Redheaded Girl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

ok so i feel really weird as it seems like im the only one not new to hunting n such...lol i must have strange family..although we didnt live by the motto if it flies it dies..my dad being the evil evil man he is..i can identify ducks by sillouette flying, swimming or standing..muahahaha and as he gets older i getta correct him when we're hunting..but he's going onto sixty years of age so i guess loss of eyesites expected huh? :rofl: sorry completely unrelated to the subject of this post but i was scannin thru and alot of yall are just recently new to hunting and well im not...ugh a vetran at almost 25 :eek:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:24 am

Redhead, can I call you Redhead? :wink: I hear ya. I guess I would fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to experience. I started hunting with my dad too when I was a kid. He'd go out scouting for bow season and he'd let me take my .22 and try to shoot a few squirrels. When I turned 14, I was out there deer hunting, and I've only missed one opening day since then. And I SHOULD have been in the woods, I wouldn't have totalled my car that day then. :rolleyes:

I am however new to shotgunning and waterfowling. Last year was the first full season that my husband and I have hunted waterfowl, and we were completely hooked. Two years ago was the first time I had rabbit hunted (our group brought home 50-60 bunnies that season), and last spring was my first attempt turkey hunting. I WILL bring home a gobbler next year!

I know a lot of other women are really into bowhunting, but it's not for me. I enjoy shooting at home, but with bow season running during duck season. Well, the ducks win. :wink:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Hi all, I'm new

Postby ripnrr's wife » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm

My Name is Danielle. I'm 23, married & loving life, have a 3 1/2 month old baby boy, 7mo choco lab (training to hunt) & a 4 1/2yr black lab (gun shy, but showing interest in duck, she would make a great duck dog) and a crazy cat that thinks hes a dog.
I'm new to hunting, this year will be my first. I just finished my hunters ed. Wanted to start last year but was prego. I can't wait for the season to open and get a feel. I am staring on dove then going to duck & geese. I'm not to bad a shot we go clay shooting all the time so I hope I will be able to pick it up pretty easy. My Husband has been a hunter all his life more in the bears and etc, and he started duck last year and is hooked.
Its nice to see they have a section for woman, any of you in Nevada? I might need someone to go with sometimes so I can leave both the boys at home :biggrin: . Glad to meet you all, I hope to have some great hunting stories to share soon!
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:32 am

If you love the outdoors and shooting already, I think you'll find you'll love hunting. And can't wait to hear about your new experiences! My hubby and I are fairly new to waterfowl too, this will be his third season and my second. We deer and rabbit hunt a lot too. We try to fill the freezer with deer as quickly as possible with venison so we can get back out duck and goose hunting again now. Yep, we got hooked too. :rofl:

I'm not sure if any of the other ladies are from Nevada. NorCal Cazadora is in CA and I'm a lot further - Michigan.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors Women Forum