My Wife Needs Ideas!! Help!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

My Wife Needs Ideas!! Help!

Postby okiequacker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:31 pm

My wife is on the DU banquet committee and in charge of coming up with ideas to make the banquet more attractive to female duck hunters. Ours is ran just like most with an auction, door prizes, gun raffles and a silent auction. We have a small area for greenwings to play as well. What would attract more women to the banquets? Even if it is ideas that would get the wifes of duck hunters to come as well? She is open to ideas. A few years ago we had a women's prize table for door prizes. So if you have any ideas on types of prizes, activities anything that would helpwould be great!!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 am

I like the idea of a woman's table for door prizes, especially for the non-hunting wives.

I'm horrid at coming up with ideas, but I'll think about it and post back if I have any inspirations! :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 am

Raffle off groups of maybe 2 or 4 husbands( duck hunters) to go over and do yard work, repairs etc.

also, for the prize table, maybe some songbird carvings or something like that, may be more appealing than duck decoys. I do quite a few songbirds along with the decoys, so i wiould be willing to donate one if your interested. just need about 2 months notice.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks! Crewchief, our banquet is Oct. 16th.
I love the idea about auctioning off male hunters for repairs/yard work!

Keep the ideas coming!
Tom

Still trying to get her to get on here with her own login. haha she is being shy.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 pm

I definitely agree with having just a women's raffle table.. because if it's for everyone and all the men win...what fun is that for us ;)

there are plenty of things you could raffle that women would love.. feet warmers... layout blind heating pads... etc.

Also, if you had some guides donate a hunt it would make the men want to bring their wives or just women hunters want to come.

Maybe talk to DU and offer a discounted membership for hunter's wives or women (or maybe just wives of DU members).

I'll keep thinking of more for you and your wife
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm

thanks for your thoughts! keep them coming when you think of more.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 pm

In light of my recent Trophy Bucks post...

I think it would be hysterical to have a Trophy Bucks shoot off there...

The game actually makes you call to bring in your prey...
It would probably almost be as hysterical as Wii games in a bar or guitar hero in bars.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:31 am

Definately some good ideas here.

To attract some of the non-hunting wives auction items like spa visits, manicures, etc. might not be a bad idea. Or cooking stuff? Maybe geared more towards outdoor or gourmet cooking? Dutch ovens, cast iron pans, spices or marinades? Wine? ;) Gift certificates to a nice restuarant? I'm just brain-storming here. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:38 am

This may seem like blasphemy, but I'm gonna bring it up anyway: One of the most off-putting things for women at these banquets is all the chicks in four-inch heels and low-cut shirts shoving their boobs in men's faces asking if they want to buy raffle tickets.

I know it's good marketing and it sells tickets, but it sends a really loud message to everyone in the room that "this event is for MEN." Those girls certainly aren't there for my benefit.

Do you really want to serve women? Go ahead and keep the raffle girls, but add a really hot guy to the mix. Make sure they can see his eight-pack abs. He can just target the women in the room. And if the men object, WHO CARES - we've been watching the cleavage girls target our men for years.

Other stuff:

I agree with others here about having a women's table of raffle items. There are several women's hunting clothing companies now that have good products: SHE Safari, Foxy Huntress, Prois Hunting Apparel. No one makes duck gear for women, but most of us hunt more than ducks. And if you get clothing items in a size that doesn't fit the raffle winner, these companies are super nice about exchanges.

There's also a woman in Colorado, Keli Van Cleave, who has a line of pink products coming out, including a pink compound bow from Alpine and pink binoculars from Alpen Optics. And there's a company, I think in Oregon, that's making pink duck calls (I'll get one of the first off the production line next weekend, so I can tell you more then if you're interested).

As for non-hunting stuff, you've hit on some good ideas here already, but consider adding a women's shooting or outdoors event, like BOW (Becoming an Outdoorswoman). I'm finding a lot of women are interested in trying shooting or hunting, and all they need is to 1) be invited to try, and 2) be invited to try in a "safe" environment, and for us, that means without a bunch of men watching as we take those first few hesitant shots. There may be some non-hunting wives who would see that and surprise their husbands by saying, "I want to try!"

Good luck - please let us know how it goes!

-Holly
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:13 pm

okie you could post another forum that asks what the femal hunter wants and then you could talk to companies that have thoes types of things and see if they are willing to donate.

you said that you do the auctions and things like the other places
have you tried raffels and acution that are just for the women offering things that they might need or want for the field.

another idea is that when you put on your event you can put opion cards out for the ladys to fill out so that next year your wife will have some new ideas
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 am

All good ideas. Thanks alot for your inputs. My wife agreed and cracked up when I told her about getting the "chippendale" kinda guy to walk around selling tickets!
Thanks again for the good responses here. If you think of anything else, let me know.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntingmama » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 pm

How about auctioning off a outdoor family portrait package. Where they would actually be out hunting or doing a outdoor activity together. Also you could do matching Mother Daughter hunting gear(shirts, hats, accessories, etc)
huntingmama
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:46 am

Good ideas. I like the family photo stuff.

We are having a women's table and we even have a pink .22 rifle as one of the giveaways! We are beating the stores for other woman ideas.

Thanks again for everyone's help on here. Great ideas!
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 am

Nice! I saw a pink 11-87 at the sporting goods store last weekend. Even though I'm not normally a pink person it would have been tempting if I only shot on the range. lol.

Maybe you could get some women's hunting clothes donated? With a possibility of exchanging it for the proper size if they don't fit?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks Outdoor Gal..
we are getting lots of stuff now piled up for the women's table. Stuff from Bed Bath and Beyond..and lots of other stuff. Big prize is a night in a very nice suite hotel and full dinner. It should be fun! We have 22 guns for our auction! woohoo! I'm gonna get another one! lol
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:31 am

That sounds great! I bet the dinner and hotel package should go over really well!

Have you or are you going to advertise that there's a large selection of non-hunting auction items as well as the usual stuff? Perhaps if the ladies know there's all that cool stuff, they may be more likely to attend? I've never been to a DU banquet, so maybe it's just standard. :huh:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:05 am

Outdoor Gal,
No, they do not advertise it. That was my point to my wife. I said...it's a catch 22. You are actually having all this stuff for women there but if there are not many women coming to the banquet then it has not done it's job unless the husbands go back and tell their wives about all the women stuff and hope they come to the banquet next year! Orrr...the men don't tell their wives a thing so they wont come next year! haha.. so it is kinda tough situation actually. But all the stuff will be given away and hope really to better the event for next year is what I'm hoping for. You really need to go to a banquet. Lots of fun and maybe even win a shotgun! woohoo!! We have 21 guns at ours this year. Should be a good one!
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:33 am

Yeah, that does make it a little interesting. Well, you know how ladies work, let a few know what's going to be thereand word should spread like wildfire. :thumbsup:

I hope the banquet has an awesome turnout! And good luck with the gun raffle! Everyone ALWAYS could use a new gun. :yes:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 am

So, did you have the banquet yet? :biggrin:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:10 pm

yep and it did go very well. I won a .17 cal varmet bolt action but no shotgun. It was fun and the women stuff did well. I am soooo ready for season to start here now. I'm going black powder hunting in the morning at my duck hunting spot so I can scout the hole out for opening day next weekend. Youth hunt for ducks is tomorrow but I don't have a youth to take! I will still have my call out in the morning as I deer hunt. More than likely my eyes will be in the sky and not looking on the ground for a deer! hahaha...
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 am

Any free gun is better than no gun! :thumbsup:

Sounds like the banquet was a success then! And glad to hear the women's stuff went over well. Good luck on that deer hunting.

Last week my husband went out bowhunting, saw one little buck, but tons of geese. So he went out the next night with the goose dekes and layout blind and saw 12 deer in the field. :rofl: I just wish I got out of work earlier so I could give it a shot too.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum