Who do you hunt with?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Who do you hunt with?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma for the opening day of early goose season. I normally hunt with my husband, his brother, and maybe a couple other friends. Well, this year the guys are going out for the early goose opener is "guy day". It's kind of a bachelor party for his brother who's getting married in September. I totally understand "guy time" and am fine with being left behind on occassion. Although, I'd rather be hunting too.

But there's no WAY I'm not going hunting on opening day. We already have planned where the guys will hunt and where I will hunt, but the hubby wants me to have someone with me. And I'd be more comfortable then too. The buddy system is always good. My sister was going to come along for the first time ever, but I just talked with her and her husband doesn't want her too. He's afraid of "crazy people" or something. Um, that's why there's two of us and um, one of us will have a gun. Besides, I'll be hunting in a pretty safe area.

So now, I'm stuck trying to find someone else insane enough to want to get up by 4am, hike for miles, swat mosquitos, and possibly get wet. And honestly, I don't have any friends that would be willing to try it. I'm a bit frustrated right now. I have two weeks to figure it out I suppose.

What about you ladies? Who do you normally hit the marsh with? And guys, honestly, do you mind hunting with someone of the female persuasion?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:08 am

Hunt alone!!!! I love hunting alone - very peaceful, no one telling you to take shots you don't feel like taking, and everything's on you, successes and failures alike.

I wouldn't do big game hunting alone because it involves remote locations where mountain lions occasionally dine on humans, and that just doesn't seem smart. But waterfowl hunting? Lord, every place I hunt is crawling with duck hunters, so I know if I'm injured, I will be found.

And as for worrying about being out there alone? You said it: You have a GUN. And when's the last time you ever heard of a predator donning camo to find some woman to rape in a marsh? Not a good place to look for women because there are hardly any women out there. I'm sorry to hear your brother-in-law doesn't see that.

My first duck season I hunted alone a lot because my job gives me a long break at the end of duck season, so I could go out when my friends couldn't. My second duck season, I'd made so many hunting friends - men AND women - that I hardly ever went out alone, and I really missed it.

Go for it!

-Holly
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:30 pm

NorCal Cazadora wrote:Hunt alone!!!! I love hunting alone - very peaceful, no one telling you to take shots you don't feel like taking, and everything's on you, successes and failures alike.

Exactly. And I don't have to worry about whether the person with me is cold, hot, bored, tired, hungry, miserable, having fun, etc. etc. Which I will end up doing if someone comes with me, especially if they're really not an outdoors person to begin with.

I wouldn't do big game hunting alone because it involves remote locations where mountain lions occasionally dine on humans, and that just doesn't seem smart. But waterfowl hunting? Lord, every place I hunt is crawling with duck hunters, so I know if I'm injured, I will be found.

It's almost the kind of the opposite here. Well, besides the mountain lions. I deer hunt on my grandparents farm, so no worries at all going out by myself there, which is rare, because so many other family hunt there. We've occasionally run into others while duck hunting, but not all the time. However the place I'm hunting has a lot of various outdoor recreational opportunities there, and I know it will be busy on Labor Day.

And as for worrying about being out there alone? You said it: You have a GUN. And when's the last time you ever heard of a predator donning camo to find some woman to rape in a marsh? Not a good place to look for women because there are hardly any women out there. I'm sorry to hear your brother-in-law doesn't see that.

Once again, EXACTLY. But then I was reminded by another family member last night that her husband's father is the world's biggest worrier. He grew up with it and apparantly it's rubbed off. (He's a really nice guy though.)

I think my husband is more worried about my tendency to be a bit accident prone and being near the water. I think he sees me getting stuck waist deep in muck trying to wade through somewhere or something. lol. I told him not to worry. If I was going to go in the water at all, I'd put a life jacket on, even if I didn't think I'd need it.

My first duck season I hunted alone a lot because my job gives me a long break at the end of duck season, so I could go out when my friends couldn't. My second duck season, I'd made so many hunting friends - men AND women - that I hardly ever went out alone, and I really missed it.

That's sounds great! I'm stuck in a 8-5 job, so the only time I can get out is on the weekends. I did find out last night that my cousin also hunts. Mostly bowhunting. I'm trying to figure out why no one in my family ever thought to mention that she hunts to me. Hello! And I have thought about seeing if my 14 year old cousin would like to go out. I think she'd enjoy it. She loves fishing and she's not bothered at all by the deer that her dad and brother bring home in November.

Go for it!

One way or another, definately! I'll be sure to post about my "adventures". :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm

LOL, last time I went hunting alone, it was on a really windy day, and I had a devil of a time hauling in my decoys. The goose dekes were blowing all over the place, and when I loaded everything up on my little gamecart 'boat', the wind kept tipping it, so it was taking on water.

The sun was going down, the wind was shrieking, and the boat was getting heavier and heavier and heavier with all that water, and I was screaming the most foul-mouthed things into the wind. But about five minutes after it was over, it was funny.

So, good luck with that, and let us know how it goes! Can't wait to hear about your adventure, whatever it is :-).

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby huntingmama » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

I agree with all, hunt alone but maybe you can get a dog that only hunts with you ( for future situations like this) I usually don't duck or goose hunt alone but i do all others by my self, more relaxing.
huntingmama
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:50 pm

And guys, honestly, do you mind hunting with someone of the female persuasion?

I found this thread interesting. I guess i never though about it from your side of the coin.

to answer your question i have no problems with it, I'm trying to get my soon-to-be wife in the blind a few times this year. I also attempted it with my ex-wife back in the day.

I will say that some times it's got to be "my time"..... time alone or time with the guys. It's my release, my way to vent the frustration of the other 9 months of the year!!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm

That's why it's so hard to find women who hunt because men are so concerned with their "guy time" :rofl:

I begged and begged and BEGGED last year for the hubby to take me... I got out all of 2 times. I begged and BEGGED for him to take me on his Canada trip this year, since there would be so many birds I might actually take some and really take to the sport more than I have so far... nope.

If men weren't so involved with their guy-time there may be a hell of a lot more women around me who hunt :biggrin:

As for me going alone, my hubbys boat is ANCIENT and I wouldn't trust it so that takes out public blinds and all the private blinds he's a part of, i'm only allowed in when he's there...

However, he has been informed when he buys his Chessie that he's buying 2 so that I have one when I am able to go alone
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Gotta get yourself a posse of women hunters! I've made so many female hunting friends lately that I'm actually worried about having TOO MANY girl-only hunts. But so far the boyfriend hasn't complained.

I'm just grateful he enjoys hunting with me. We both work so much that sometimes it's the only quality time we get together.

Sometimes I see guys in the Honey Hole saying, "Hell, I hunt to get AWAY from my wife," and the first thing I think is, "Gee you sound like such a swell guy I'm sure she enjoys getting you out of the house."

Ducky Lady, do you have any public hunt areas near you that don't require a boat? The ability to hunt on your own whenever you feel like it is a beautiful thing :-)

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 am

My husband's great and we really do have a good time hunting together, even he'll say so. But I also understand that sometimes he does need to get out by himself or with his brother. Our first year of being married was a little interesting at times, he didn't want to tell me he needed the time and hurt my feelings, I wanted to go all the time, but we got things worked out. lol. And when I am out with "the guys" I really try to pull my own weight. Joe jokes that I make a great pack mule to his friends. lol. I think it's a good sign. Besides, someone has to carry the rest of the gear when he's carrying a 100 lb. canoe 1/2 mile to get to water. ;)

NorCal, I've read those comments too in the HH and that's kind of what prompted my earlier question. It's like, "Is it really that bad? Then why are you married to or dating her?" But then I look at the girl my brother-in-law is marrying and though she's fun to be around most of the time, she would annoy me to no end out in the woods (or marsh).

Ducky Lady, Good luck getting your hubby to take you out with him more this season. Is it possible that you could get involved in a WITO or BOW program near you? Who knows? Maybe you could meet some more ladies that might turn into good hunting buddies!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Who do you hunt with?

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:And guys, honestly, do you mind hunting with someone of the female persuasion?

i've asked my wife to go duck and turkey hunting with me. she enjoys camping, hiking, outdoors in general, she even has a pistol that she shoots for fun on rare occasion. its the killing part of hunting that she doesnt like. i've offered to take her duck and turkey "looking" -- no killing, just photos - but this was all before we had 2 yr old daughter. maybe one day i'll get them both out with me!
bluewing77
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Well i'm currently working on getting his uncles daughter to take hunter safety and come along with me. She's definitely interested but the whole story is posted on the board.

And unfortunately, there is no public land that doesn't require a boat around me :(
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 pm

Interesting. I don't know how to get around some women's aversion to killing. I grew up on a little farm where we raised our own meat animals (rabbits, pigs, some chickens, etc.) so I learned early how to put up with the unpleasant task that puts food on our table.

My only suggestion is this: Some people who don't hunt think that they have to be "hard" about killing - totally emotionless. And they really don't! I can't tell you how many hunters I've met and talked to who admit to feeling sadness or sorrow when they see the animal they've killed - well, they admit it to me because I'm a girl, but probably not as much to their buddies out in the field.

If your wife eats meat, she understands that killing has to happen for your table to be blessed with food. Perhaps discussing what goes through your head when you kill will help. If all she hears about the subject is the whooping and hollering on Versus or The Outdoor Channel when some guy kills, she's definitely getting the wrong idea.

I shot a pig last week and even though it was a perfect shot (thank you, God!), I apologized to the sow's poor little body when I saw her lying there on the ground.

But there may be no persuading. Women give life by carrying babies; doing the opposite is a pretty big leap.

My two cents...
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 am

My personal opinion is it's almost something that you become a bit desensitized too. But then, I started hunting when I was 12 and was out in the woods earlier than that with my dad. I cried when I shot my first deer, but I was out there the next year, and the next. For me it's partly a rationalization that my steak has to die one way or another and I'd rather know where mine is coming from.

And the hunt isn't all about the kill, it's the experience. Being outside, enjoying nature, seeing things you'd never see while sitting at home, or even hiking. Although, that's partly where my husband and I differ. I have a hard time seeing things his way, a lot of it IS about bringing something home for him. And he has a hard time understanding that I can have a great time even when things do go badly. We actually had a very long talk last night about that.

I really do feel a bit of sorrow every time I make a kill, but there's a sense of accomplishment as well.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37 am

Amen! It's the hardest thing to explain, how you can love animals, save stranded baby animals, shed a tear or say a prayer when you kill them, and still experience complete joy in the entire process: hunt, kill, eat. But I honestly believe I have more respect and love for animals now than I did before I started hunting. I see them much more as equals.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:28 am

I agree...

You come desensitized in the way that you realize that even though you feel bad for the dead animal, you know that it's food and a great accomplishment.

I grew up in Canada so I was always around hunting and people with dead animals and freezers full of animal meat, so now I hardly get upset seeing animals be killed for purposes like that.

However, there are a few exceptions to that rule such as exotic game... especially zebras because I ride horses :eek: I don't think i'll ever be okay with seeing them dead.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Interesting side note on two of the comments -

save stranded baby animals

I was driving in my parents neighborhood a few years ago and watched a squirrel get hit by the car in front of me. It hadn't died and wasn't apparently critically injured, so I stopped, used an old t-shirt I happened to have in the car, and picked it up. As soon as I picked it up off of the ground, it had a seizure or something. It started shaking violently and freaked me out and I inadvertantly tossed it into the air. Thankfully, I think it died before it hit the ground. I slunk into my car, drove two houses further and pulled into my parents driveway. :rofl:

As for zebras, I kind of feel the same way. I don't think I could pull the trigger on one. I was talking to an African guide at a hunting trade show and he said he used to feel the same way - until he saw them in action. He said they were some of the meanest animals he had seen and since there were SO many of them he didn't feel sorry after all. I thought it was an interesting perspective.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Yeah but there are plenty of mean dogs and I could never bring myself to kill one :rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:50 pm

I think I could kill a coyote, but my problem with that is not its dogness, but the fact that I'm not sure I want to eat coyote.

Regarding babies: The other day, my boyfriend and a friend of his were out fishing, and on the ride home on a really twisty mountain road, they came across a fawn, still spotted, that had been hit by a car and was in the middle of the road dead. Or so they thought: As they drove past it, the fawn lifted its head. They were heartbroken.

I asked if they stopped and got out to put it out of its misery, but he said they couldn't - the road is way to dangerous to get out there and stand in the middle of it. But it almost makes me cry just thinking about it. No one enjoys watching suffering.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 pm

=( that's awful. I always do feel bad when I see animals that have been struck by vehicles that are left on the side of the road or medians.... which happens so often around here. Which does give me a better feeling about killing them out in the field because my hubby LOVES the meat and at least it wasn't a painful death by a car!
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 pm

Sorry, by awful I didn't mean that they didn't stop I just meant awful as in the deer suffering
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

No worries, I understood!
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:34 am

Well, opening day rolled around and my uncle came with me. It was his first time waterfowling. And my aunt came along with the camera. It would have been nice if we had seen a goose. :p My aunt did get some good footage of the wood ducks and a family of beavers at least. And as my uncle said, he'd rather have a bad day hunting, then sit at home. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 am

That's generally true for me too, although it mostly depends on weather :rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby MicCog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Glad you got to hunt. I went early teal but didn't get to shoot anything but a camera......story of my life. on the off hand chance that I find a sitter that is willing to watch a rambunous 4 year old girl at 4:00 am, it's usually crappy out or foggy, or I get stuck in the middle of the blind (I REALLY HATE THAT :mad: ) SOOOOOOO.....this year I talked my dad into going waterfowling for the first time in many years, and I know he'll let me take the shots and I won't have to compete with the boys....but in all honesty, when my husband took me duck hunting the first time he thought I'd hate it so I didn't buy my stamps just went along for the ride......well, imagine his suprise when he came home from work and I had a new pair of waders and stamps!!! he's good about taking me and I'm just one of the boys to them.........oh, and the camera person, and photographer, and secratary, and taxidermist, and therapist (to the other boys) and......and......and.....
good luck everyone and glad you all are out here.....just wish you all were closer to Gre-allity, CO (aka, Greeley, CO)
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby LibertyCBR » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:50 pm

HMM... I prefer to be alone. I don't have to follow anyone else's rules but my own. I can run my dog the way I want to run him and/or her. I don't have to worry about fluffing or unfluffing any male egos. Who the hell is going to piss off a woman with a shotgun and a dog anyway?
I haven't been able to hunt since I moved to northern california. It seems like a much more complicated process to find a place. Not to mention much more costly. I also run into much more of the "good ole boy" crap here since I don't know anyone. I have resolved to just run hunt tests with my dogs. I can tell they miss the hunting.
LibertyCBR
Newb

Next

Return to Outdoors Women Forum