small talk

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

small talk

Postby ripnrr's wife » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:57 pm

So we just found out when waterfowl opens. YAY :biggrin: I will be starting out on dove (first year ever hunting for those that didn't know) then can't wait till we go for some Ducks. I also got a cheap little semi-auto gun for this season its a Mossberg 935 I hear great things for being so cheap (we will see), its like brand new and I only paid $175, I was going to start with the 12ga remington pump I have but this was a good deal and could't pass it up.

On another note is it always this slow in here?????? :huh:
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 am

Unfortunately, yeah it is pretty slow in here. But hopefully we can generate a bit more traffic. :thumbsup: Although, I'll be a bit scarce for a while. My computer crashed this week, so I'll have limited web access for a while.

That's a great seems like a great price for the 935! You'll have so much fun hunting this year. I can't wait until Sept. 1, which is the opener for early goos season here in the state. I'll be scouting bright and early tomorrow morning. Can't wait!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby ripnrr's wife » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:06 pm

thats a bummer about your computer, hope you can fix it! Thats neat your goos starts so soon, ours isn't till oct. same with duck. Canvasbacks are off limits this year for us :sad: oh well maybe next year. well happy hunting and If I meet any women out there that hunt I will def turn them on to this site, thanks
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:03 pm

We lost canvasbacks in Cali too. And we're still limited to one pintail, despite the fact that we see more pintails than ANYTHING else. Except maybe spoonies.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

Yay! I have a computer again! Now I just have a ton of catch up to do. Boo.

We end up seeing more wood ducks and mallards than anything else where we hunt. Usually we hunt on small lakes, ponds, or marsh. It works best that way since we only have a canoe. :wink:

A canvasback is on my "shoot one and get it mounted list", but obviously not this year. We've never actually seen one. We only say one pintail last year which is on my hubby's "shoot and mount" list. We can shoot three woodies now instead of two this year, which will be nice. They are definately the best tasting duck we've had so far. SO GOOD!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Canvasbacks are out on the east coast here too :(

Hopefully this doesn't last too long, although they said the population decreased %44 from last year I believe... so it's not looking good.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 pm

I hardly ever see 'em, so it's no skin off my back. It just freaks me out because I've only seen them once here (and probably heard that jet-engine wingbeat one other time), so I'm not practiced at identifying them yet.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby ripnrr's wife » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Glad to see you back outdoor gal. :thumbsup:

Canvas are pretty popular here, well they were atleast last year for my hubby and some others, we have alot of mallards too, his firt time out he got a pintail. then shortly after that he came home with a meganser, what a crazy duck that is, its kinda freaky looking with teeth on its beek. I want a wood duck so does my hubby to mount. I think they are beautiful, but go figure they are more rare around here.

well good luck to everyone, hope you do great this year, I can't wait for the experience.
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 am

I hope you guys get your wood ducks! :) They really are absolutely gorgeous. We're waiting for the perfect one to mount. It's just a hard decision, do we eat it or mount it? They're SO tasty. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum