Duck Hunting Forum banner

Fathers with sons... who won't hunt.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Outdoor Gal 
#1 ·
My hubby's uncle has a daughter and a son.

So I find it pretty sad and discouraging that since he learned that his son has taken absolutely NO interest in hunting whatsoever, that he doesn't even want his daughter to take hunter safety and hunt.

She's actually very interested in it, and loves the idea of having another female (me) around... it makes her want to do it even more.

Before his son said he wasn't interested and we talked about his daughter and I going to hunter safety together he was thrilled... now he keeps telling her that she should "give him a good enough reason why she should go"

Now I understand that every hunting dad wants their son to hunt too... but hell if I were a dad i'd love my little girl to go and show all my friends up :rofl:

#2 ·
I agree, i would love for my daughter to take up hunting, i've tried to explain to her the beauty of the sunrise in the am, the amount of wildlife you get to see in it's natural habitat, and the many other things that make hunting so exciting, but she just doesnt want to, but's that ok too, i do have a 14 yr old son, who is out there every chance he can, but would love to have them both out there, my daughter is 20

#3 ·
Well, he's making a huge mistake, and he's part of the problem, where the future of hunting is concerned. The one segment of hunters that's increasing RADICALLY is in young girls, largely on the strength of smart dads (and moms too) who take them out hunting. When these girls all grow up, they will strengthen our numbers far more than today's boys will.

I try not to say unkind things about people in public forums like this, but his treatment of his daughter is downright stupid. Period. :thumbsdown: And you can tell him I said that.

-Holly

#4 ·
Well I think that next time I see him, i'm going to confront him. I love his daughter, she is the most awesome girl in the world.... she even won the NASCAR cookoff last year and I would LOVE for her to be able to come hunting with me more than anything. Especially because I understand the man wants his time alone, so hell i'd love to just some days be like well, actually, i'm going hunting with her you can't come sorry! haha :rofl:

#6 ·
I agree completely with NorCal. Hopefully, he comes around. It's too bad his son doesn't want to hunt, but that's a GREAT oppurtunity for him to get closer to his daughter. But at least it sounds like you may have found a young hunting buddy!

I keep saying I can't wait until my little niece gets a little older. I'm going to turn her into a little huntress. She's the youngest of three, only 2, but she's definately the spunkiest. Besides the other two are allergic to absolutely everything with fur. They get sick just going to the zoo. :sad: Thankfully, she doesn't show any signs of allergies yet.

#7 ·
Had to reply to the topic.

Start them young! And start them on something that they will experience guaranteed success with. Like full soda cans at ten feet, which also is a handy safety demonstration about the effects of a close range shotgun blast.
Poor guy waited entirely too late to plant the seed of interest. My dad started taking me to the woods scouting when I was 3. Two years later I couldn't wait till I was "big enough" to hunt. You can't wait until they're addicted to video games.
My sister hunts with us on occasion, though not as avidly as we do. (But then again, we are "ate up with it")
Incidentally, getting his daughter started is a great way to generate interest in his son, because he'll have to hear his sis go on and on about how much fun she had. Throw in a few subtle challenges to his manhood (which no red blooded, hormone overloaded, american teenager can resist) and his son may change his tune.
unless the father and son don't get along, and the son is just spiteful and is throwing it in the old man's face. In which case, an invitation to hunt with you would be another oppurtunity to do the same, but at least he might start hunting. if so, hunting may bridge the gap between them one day.
Has the father ever expressed interest in doing anything else with his son, like video games or whatever his son is into?
If not, why would he expect his son to show interest in his hobby?
It should be about spending time with your kids, whether it's in the woods or something else.
I hope something above helps. I'll get off my soap box now.
Take your niece hunting, whatever it takes!

#8 ·
Yeah the father and son get along great and they do a lot of stuff like crabbing together... I guess he's just not that interested. I was also thinking along the same lines that getting her to go might generate interest in the son as well.

Either way i'm just hoping I get him to let her take hunter safety and come out with me! :biggrin:

#9 ·
I think maybe he should let his daughter hunt and maybe that will light a fire under his son to hunt to. Siblings are always competitive in some way. That may be all it takes is for his sister to come home talking about what they seen today or about the buck she killed or the ducks she got. It just might work!

"Whatever a man can do a woman can do Better"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.