women's traveling decoy

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora, LadyK

women's traveling decoy

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Would you ladies be interested in doing a traveling decoy just for the ladies in this forum?

Each of us would hunt with it then mail it to the next?

The shipping would probably be costly... that's why i'm posing it as just an idea for now.

Or if you have any other ideas, maybe a different sort of traveling lucky item.
Last edited by one ducky lady on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:13 pm

I got a message from crewchief252 who was so very helpful.. thanks!

" shipping isnt really that bad, usually less than 10$ for priority shipping, which takes 3-4 days"

Do any of the girls on this forum carve? If not he offered to donate a decoy to our causes if we are interested :thumbsup:

So once again let me know if you are interested!
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:01 pm

That's an awesome idea! And thank you crewchief for the great offer! Count me in for sure.

Just an FYI, the Michigan season starts Oct. 11. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:34 pm

bump
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:59 am

Did you get this idea from NorCal's post about the traveling wigeon decoy? That was an awesome read, btw.

So I was wondering, what happens to the decoy after it makes the rounds? And are we going to send photos and a write-up of the decoy's adventures while hunting with us when it travels to the next person on the list? What do we want to do to make it special? :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Oh I definitely would love to see all the pictures and hear the stories of the girls hunting with it.

I actually haven't read her post about it, but I plan on getting on and reading it right after this :biggrin:

I wasn't really sure about what to do with it afterwards... crew recommended we raffle it off.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 pm

I'm doing one on the Jersey forum, at the end of the rounds , i am going to have my son pick a name from a hat from all the participants, and they get to keep it.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ripnrr's wife » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:14 pm

that sounds kinda neat, I would be interested. Let me know what you decide?
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Belatedly: Of course I'd love to do this!

But unfortunately, I don't know anyone who carves decoys (male or female). I'll ask around.

Or, maybe we could get one donated for a waterfowl organization...

Hmmm. Got some emails to send.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:44 pm

If we would like, crewchief offered to donate one to us. If we need one ASAP for start of the season he has a bufflehead for us and if we can stand to wait a little he offered to make one. That's if we are interested :tongue:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

That's sweet! But if for some reason that doesn't come through, I have no doubt that getting a deke for us would be easy. That post I did about the all-girl hunt with the traveling decoy is the most popular thing on my blog ever. Someone will get good publicity out of working with us...
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Definitely, and I know that the week I have it i'll be doing more than one hunt... and even if I go goose hunting i'm still taking it with me for luck :biggrin: and then taking plenty of pics
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 pm

So we haven't had any more offers on girls who want to do this, but regardless i'd still like to do it because I think that it would be a lot of fun.

So what would you like the decoy to be? We should start deciding now and stop slacking :rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Redheaded Girl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 pm

I would love to do it but at this very moment i have a newborn little girl so i dont imagine as i'll be doing too much hunting. my father however who is moderator in the taxidermy forum makes decoys also, he has two mallard dekes made already and is making some for my brother i can ask him to specifically make one for this and bounce it off his head..its not much but hey...who knows? :lol:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:38 am

Aw, baby pics please! :biggrin: Congrats!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:37 am

Yes please post pictures!
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Redheaded Girl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm

there you go :thumbsup:
Redheaded Girl
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:23 am

Congratulations! Make sure you keep posting pictures - I'm looking forward to seeing some little girls out in the duck blinds :-)

Ducky Lady, I have a friend looking into possible decoy donations too - I've just been too slammed for the past week to stay active in this. (I teach, and school started Tuesday). I'll holler if she has any luck!

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 am

Aw, she's a doll Redheaded Girl!

Ducky lady - I'm guessing it should be some sort of puddler. I'm assuming we all hunt puddle ducks mostly. And really, I don't care, whatever the person donating the decoy wants to do I guess. :shrug:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby ripnrr's wife » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi lady's just checking on the decoy stat. Cute baby, I had one in april baby boy 9lbs 2oz & 22in long. hers a pics (maybe if I can get it to work) Puddle duck works for me! I don't care it just sounds fun!

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:39 am

Dang, that's a BIG BABY! Cutie, too.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am

He's such a cutie! He looks like a very happy baby. :smile:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Carolyn Odell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 am

A little late but I would like in on this little adventure....:yes:

BTW OutdoorGal guess what JD just got me.....Cabela's Women's Ultimate Hunting Wader with Armor-Flex™ they are awesome...I can't wait for duck season too start up.......... So now I am set for awhile on hunting gear....not trying to brag just excited to have my OWN gear....
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.
-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Carolyn Odell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:16 am

Oh yeah and BTW how are you going to be setting this up?

Like are we going to poll on who lives in what area of the country to see who's season ends first? that way everyone will have a chance? Like I live in AL our duck season runs from Nov 27 until January 25
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.
-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Brag away Carolyn, I would! :rofl: I'm totally jealous, everytime I look at waders my husband's like, I'm not sure if you need them. So far he's been right (more or less), but I can't tell him that. :wink:

I did buy a pair of early season waders from one of the guys on the site for $25, but they're going to be COLD if I have to wear them later in the season.

I'll drop ducky lady a PM and see how the traveling decoy plan is coming along. Our season just started on Saturday and runs until early December.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum