This year's hunting plans?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

This year's hunting plans?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:08 am

So what are you ladies planning for this season?

Early goose season for me was a bust. :( I was only able to get out twice and got skunked both times.

I'd LOVE to be able to go up north and do some partridge hunting, but I don't think that will be feasible in the next couple of weeks, so I may just take my 20gauge with me see if I can flush a snipe or rail while scouting for ducks. That would be a first for me too.

October 11 is the opening of duck season, so obviously I'll be in the marsh then.

November 15 is the opening of firearm deer season, so I'll hopefully knock down a doe for the freezer and if I'm really lucky have a buck get within range. But I'm a meat hunter, not an antler hunter. This week is a special early firearm doe season (for private land), but the spot my husband will be hunting is in the shotgun zone. I only have a .270. Oh well.

And then when Januaray hits, we'll be heading to Tennessee. We booked a guided duck hunt for the 5-6th! I can't wait! This will be the first guided trip I've ever been on. I hope my shooting improves before then. lol. I'll be doing a lot of practice between now and then.

And as soon as we get snow and duck season is over (or it's iced over), we'll be out with the hubby's family running the beagles and rabbit hunting through March. :biggrin:

Hurrah for hunting season!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:55 am

well, we've already been on two hunts this year, so far. Once for opening Dove season.....and again for early teal. Huntin' wasn't too bad, but nothing like when the migration is in full swing! Other than being the camra-girl, techy, taxidermist........I don't have much in the plans for hunting. Didn't draw a deer tag this year, and the kiddo isn't quite big enough to go with yet anyway......
I have aspirations of hunting some ducks this year, with a gun and not a camera....... :wink:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 am

You definately have to get out there with a boomstick! :thumbsup:

Now where are you located again? That's a bummer that you didn't get drawn for a tag. We have deer coming out our ears around here. They even opened a special early doe season this year to help thin down the herd. It's pretty crazy.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:49 pm

I live in Greeley, CO. also sucks that I might not get to do as much hunting as I wanted to this year, but hubby says he wants to get me on camera..... :lol: :fingerhead: I don't think so........but we'll see where stress leads me, I might just drop that 20 extra lbs before it gets cold!!! :crazy2:
but I'm excited just got two geese in from MN to mount up this week and next, plus get the rest of the stuff out of the freezer so I can start saving for this year. my four year old really loves Mallards (which we usually pass on shooting) but this year I'm gonna try to bag her a nice drake to put in her room. She's already told me she wants it to be locked in landing for a pose! too cute for a four year old. we've been hunting with stick horses (stick parts) to the duck hunting videos, I tell her when to shoot and we send the "tend" dog to retrieve......love the imagination of children, so I've got her on the right path!!! :devil:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby stonewalldogs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 am

I got to go dove hunting twice so far. I got my limit the first day which was Wednesday after the opener. The second time, I only got 3.
This duck season is going to be short for me. I have to be frugal since I am on a budget. If fuel prices stay where they are, I can go 8 times. If the prices continue to drop then I can go more.
I have a big F350 deisel 4x4 dually with a flatbed 8 hole dog box.
That thing gets about 14 miles to the gallon. It will cost about $150 a trip in fuel alone to get to the refuges that I like.
:rolleyes:
Stonewall Retrievers www.stonewalldogs.com
stonewalldogs
DHC Sponsor

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 am

MicCog - So do you guys just record the hunts for your fun or are you putting together a hunting video? Either way, that's pretty cool. My aunt came out with the video camera with us on the early goose opener, too bad we didn't do any shooting. :no:

That's SO cool about your daughter! lol. She sounds too cute. Way to get her practicing early. :thumbsup: And how come you don't shoot mallards much? Just curious. :)

stonewalldogs - :welcome: Aren't gas prices just horrid? We'll probably end up hunting a lot closer to home as well, or doing a lot more camping. I sure hope you can get out more than just 8 times!

I checked out your website, very nice! I bet you have some great dog stories. :) I have two lovable mutts at home, but they're definately not working dogs. Unless you consider napping and trying to chase the neighbor's cat working. ;)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am

Oh yeah! As for hunting... (I'm having way to many blonde moments today. :rofl: ) ...I ended up out at my grandpa's farm for early doe season yesterday with my husband. We saw one deer at dawn, but we gave it a free pass, it was just a little thing. It looked coyote sized! lol. But my husband did end up taking a doe just after lunch. We had run into town to grab a bite to eat and when we got back to the farm we saw some deer in the middle of the wheat field. We hoofed it over to the edge of the field using the rises in the field as cover and ducked into the edge of the woods. While we were in the field, I did have one shot present itself but I couldn't quite get steady enough to take a confident shot and then the doe spotted us and hightailed it into the woods. Once we got into the woods, I didn't really have a shot where I ended up (at a mature doe), but I watched a little button buck about 20yards away. The little guy saw my husband and kept walking closer and closer to him, the buck was only 15 yards from Joe when Joe ended up pulling the trigger on a 2-year old doe in the field. It was pretty cool.

This is the first time Michigan has ever had an early firearm season, so we were new to hunting in shirtsleeves rather than freezing our tails off! I could get used to hunting in 60 degree weather. We did have to skin and quarter the deer immediately and get it into coolers, but it makes things nice today. We have a head start when I get home from work.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

:grooving: hello! yea, we're putting together a hunting video! should be interesting.......I'll post a link when we get the website up if that's ok????
I'm excited about filming this year, figure if nothing else then I'll be a better shot after all that!! lol.....

OK, here's the skinny on greenheads......we see so many of them and we get a great variety of ducks: wigeon, teal, golden eyes, red heads, ringnecks, gadwal, buffleheads, pintails....we'd rather limit out on the variety see how many different types we can get in a single trip. But that's not to say that early season when there's not much around but mallards, we'll blast any that come in to the decs!!! (many aren't in good plumage though, thus the trying to get a late season mallard)

kiddo is pretty darn cute! lol.....I just haven't figured out how to tell her that mommy is going to hunt without her some this winter....that should go over like a led balloon........ :sad:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 am

As long as your not selling anything on the link, I don't see it being a problem. If you are, you can send it to me via PM. :)

Gotcha, 'bout the greenheads. It's kind of the same as us seeing tons of wood ducks. lol. We know one would make a beautiful mount, but we see so many we don't feel rushed to do it. I kind of regret not getting my first one mounted though, even though it was a hen. She was HUGE! At the time, I didn't realize how big she really was. She was awfully tasty though. ;)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum