Hello

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Hello

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:17 am

My name is Carolyn Odell and even though I have been on the forum for a little while now I hardly ever if ever write in the womens forum mainly because no one is ever on here...

I started hunting last year got hooked and love it...

I have an Xtrema 2 shotgun that JD (my husband) bought me this year. I finally got my own hunting clothes this year which is mostly all men clothing just in small/medium still too big but can layer under it so it works for me hate the woman's clothing lines they are all for show none of it ever ranks up there with men clothing quality meaning not the same Thinsulate grams and the list goes on and on. I got my first goose this September sorry no picture. We (JD & I) Own a Chesapeake Bay Retriever her name is Carolyn's Coon Creek Kyla Call name Kyla me and JD are training her she is almost 8 months old and is just wonderful. Hopefully will be ready for hunting by December. This is KylaImage

So what all do you shoot with? What type of clothing do you wear? How long have you been hunting?
[/img]
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.
-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 am

Hi Carolyn! :welcome: I've seen your posts in the Hunting Dog forum and was hoping you'd make your way over here. Traffic has slowly been picking up here and hopefully it will just get busier and busier! :thumbsup:

I LOVE your chessie! My CLF does that exact same pose as Kyla's picture. lol. Gotta love the dogs!

I know what you mean about hunting clothes. It's SO frustrating trying to find hunting clothes, ESPECIALLY for waterfowling. I'm a bargain hunter and that doesn't work so well when it comes to finding women's hunting clothes either. I end up buying a lot of mix and match items from ebay and I just wear old Army surplus BDU's when I need camo pants. I'm still pretty new to duck hunting, so I'm still working on aquiring good waterproof clothes. My plan is to go with what I already own or can patch together, and then, when I'm end up so miserable because I was lacking a certain piece of equipment/clothing, I'll buy that one next. We'll see how that goes. lol.

Speaking of being new to waterfowling this is my second season. I did however grow up deer hunting, so I'm not new to hunting in general.

I just picked up a Beretta for this season as well. I found a used AL390 for $500 and picked it up. I plan on taking it to the gunsmith in the next week or so to get the stock cut down to fit me and it should do great for this season. I shot a Supernova last year and couldn't hit anything with it. The only birds I got were either waterswatted :oops: or I was cleaning up cripples that the guys had dropped. Hopefully, I do a little better this year.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Hello

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 am

Well I too waterswat :oops: :oops: But I know that eventually I will get better and be able to shoot like the big boys..LOL anyway hi and thanks for responding.
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:39 am

:rofl: Exactly!

Hey, just noticed your signature. I take it your a bit Irish? I don't really know any Gaelic, but I generally recognize it when I see it. I have a slight Irish obsession, according to the hubby. lol. Just because my license plate is "slainte"... :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:52 am

Outdoor Gal wrote::rofl: Exactly!

Hey, just noticed your signature. I take it your a bit Irish? I don't really know any Gaelic, but I generally recognize it when I see it. I have a slight Irish obsession, according to the hubby. lol. Just because my license plate is "slainte"... :thumbsup:

My Husband is a bit Irish:rofl: :rofl: and I just got the Irish bug after we went to Ireland last year. I love Ireland, Gaelic and Notre Dame Football LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Had to throw that in there because I know JD will read this....... :wink:

And Slainte or Cheers to you too that is Kewl that your license plate says that ours says BRNDWG...LOL
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Love the Chessie plate! I have people trying to figure out my plate all the time, it's hilarious. Then I'm like, "It's Gaelic... for 'cheers'." and they blank look on they're faces turns to a not quite so blank look and I just laugh. :rofl:

I'm SO jealous. Ireland is at the top of the list of places that I want to go to overseas. It's one of those "some day" places. Oh, but Notre Dame, :no:. How did you like the game on Saturday? I'm a Michigan State fan. :wink: :yes:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:Love the Chessie plate! I have people trying to figure out my plate all the time, it's hilarious. Then I'm like, "It's Gaelic... for 'cheers'." and they blank look on they're faces turns to a not quite so blank look and I just laugh. :rofl:

I'm SO jealous. Ireland is at the top of the list of places that I want to go to overseas. It's one of those "some day" places. Oh, but Notre Dame, :no:. How did you like the game on Saturday? I'm a Michigan State fan. :wink: :yes:

Don't worry about that NO One is perfect... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Lucky chance for them I guess not so lucky for us..but hopefully next time we have the Victory...Irish are now 2-1 and Michigan State is 3-1 so not too bad starting out for either team...

Keep Ireland at the top it is worth every cent the most beautiful place I have ever been (not that I have been that many places just Ireland and the Bahamas)absolutely wonderful .....excellent people....
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 am

It's okay, my husband is a Univ. of Mich. fan and his brother started rooting for Ohio State. That's almost worthy of getting kicked out of the family for! :lol: UofM vs. Buckeyes is even a bigger rivalry than UofM vs. MSU around here!

And I'll definately keep Ireland at the top of the list! Do you listen to Irish music at all?

And man Carolyn, I can't get over how much that picture of Kyla reminds my of my chocolate lab Sydney. She does that exact same pose and she's a lot lighter brown than alot of chocolates. She's been mistaken for a Chessie a couple of times I think because of her coloring, but she's all lab, that's for sure!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Hello

Postby Carolyn Odell » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 am

Yes I listen to some JD has some that he bought on one of his trips there. He has hunted in Scotland and fished in Ireland but I have not as of yet :sad: LOL JD has a CD by The Big Jigs Live at the Dixie Bar and I also like to listen to http://www.liveireland.com/ Has old and new on it.....
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 am

Awesome! Thanks for the link, I'm listening to it now. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost all my music files that I listened too. I'm set up with a temp computer right now, so I don't want to upload any cd's to it, since I'd just have to transfer the files anyhow.

There's just something about jigs and reels that makes the day go faster. ;)

I'd highly recommend Gaelic Storm if you haven't heard them. They're hilarious. And if you ever get the chance to see them live, it's well worth the $15-$20 ticket!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Hello

Postby Carolyn Odell » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 am

I will look them up see if they are on live Ireland.....Thanks
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:38 pm

:welcome: Hi!

So what all do you shoot with?
Beretta Extrema 2

What type of clothing do you wear?
All of my hubbys hunting clothes from when he was little

Your Chessie is gorgeous, where did you get her?

When my great grandmother was in a nursing home before she passed she used to swear in Gaelic all the time, it was hilarious
:rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Hi

Postby Carolyn Odell » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:04 pm

We got Kyla from Crossfire Chesapeakes out of MO... Owners Bruce Ahlers, DVM and Marlene Drag, DVM.. Very nice people and really great Chessies..
If interested look at their website http://www.crossfirechesapeakes.com/Home_Page.html

Well we shoot the same gun and I got some new hunting clothes for this year but they are men clothes. Nothing wrong with wearing hubby's clothes ......I looked like the Michelin tire guy last season from wearing JDs and layering under it but I was not cold....and that is what counts.....

Sounds like your Grandmother was an awesome woman :wink:
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 am

one ducky lady wrote::welcome: Hi!
When my great grandmother was in a nursing home before she passed she used to swear in Gaelic all the time, it was hilarious
:rofl:

That's great! :lol:

So we all shoot Beretta's so far, eh? I guess we ladies like our guns like we like our shoes. Italian. :rofl:

Carolyn, I hear you on all the layers! I look like that during rifle deer season. November's in Michigan get COLD! I've been wearing men's insulated coveralls and have to wear a belt so the crotch doesn't go to my knees. And then because of the belt the top part is all blousey and crud. And do you know how annoying coveralls are when you need to pee? lol. :tongue: I found a good deal on some women's bib's last year and can't wait to use them this coming season.

I've slowly been acquiring women's hunting clothes the last few years when I can find good deals on them. What makes me mad though, is after high school, I had some really nice women's big game cold weather gear. I moved a couple of times and they dissappeared. I still think my Dad threw them out on accident. :no:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 am

Your dad sounds like mine.

When I was growing up I always called him Danny Tanner because every time I turned around he was cleaning... and cleaning to him was either moving or throwing my stuff out :rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 am

lol. My dad's actually the opposite. He's such a packrat that when he decided to clean, I think he just put them in the while pile and they got tossed out. Grr....
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum