Where to begin?!?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Where to begin?!?

Postby MN Lisa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi- I'm new to the site and a little intimidated to even post.... My boyfriend is an avid hunter and I've gone with him a few times but I want to do more than just ride along. I'm just not sure where to start, what kind of gun would be best for me, where to get lessons on shooting....etc. I've looked at the Women In Outdoors and BOW info online but it seems I've missed most things this year. Guess I'm just looking for any kind of suggestion!
:help:
MN Lisa
MN Lisa
Newb

Postby duckwizard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:37 pm

I bought my girlfriend a remington 870 20 gauge, and she handles it perfect, as for the lessons, just get your boyfriend to teach you, i tought my girlfriend :thumbsup:
The wicked flee when no man pursues.
duckwizard
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:35 am

First, don't be intimidated. I just started posting here myself and everyone is very nice and helpful.

This is how I got into hunting. I followed around my hubby for so many years and finally started doing it myself. I've been fishing my whole life and my dad had me shooting since I was a kid, so I had that part started, but it is harder to shoot moving targets that aren't predictable. I would recommend your BF teach you how to shoot still targets first so you get comfortable with a gun. Then move to clay birds and then give it a shot out in the field. You could also take a gun safety course if you want since this is all new to you. This is only my second year hunting and my aim leaves a bit to be desired still on moving targets, but I'm getting better and better everytime I go. It all comes with time and practice.

The gun depends on your size. I'm 5'5". I have a Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge. The Super Nova has a recoil reducer and a little extra padding on the end of the stock, which I like. I shot the regular Nova before and you can tell a difference in recoil between the two. I know my son started off with a 20 gauge (he started hunting at 10), but honestly if you can get comfortable with a 12, I would highly recommend it. When he moved up to a 12 last year when he was 14, he was downing things a lot better and did awesome with dove this year.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I think hunting is a great way to spend time with your man. Many women complain about their men hunting, but maybe they should try it. They might end up liking it as much as them.
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Never be intimidated, but be able to laugh at yourself.
Read the hunting magazines.
Get the warmest clothes, bring lots of gloves, and hand warmers, don't chintz on the clothes you will have them for a long time.

Get a gun you love, take a girlfriend, or your boyfriends friend, not your boyfriend - he will get you to buy what he wants. Talk to the guy at the counter.

Look at youth guns, or guns with shorter barrels, they are easier to lift, and to carry in the field on pheasant hunts.

Go sporting clays shooting, try everyones guns to see what you like.

Get an 12 gauge semi-automatic.
Take a hunters safety course, it will give you confidence.

If you get a chance to go hunting, ask for a turn to shoot someone elses gun, you will be hooked fast after your first kill - nothing is more empowering.

Good luck, let us know how you get along.
Have fun and relax, it's no contest except personally.
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum