HELLO!!! Hunting ladies

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

HELLO!!! Hunting ladies

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Wow, finally found some fun and chatty hunting ladies, with good information, this is so wonderful I had to join right up. Where have I been???

Been married 14 years to an avid duck hunter. I had always been somewhat outdoorsy, camping and fishing. DH took me duck hunting with him a few times, we got our first Chessie, joined a HRC club, went pheasant hunting with him, etc. One time pheasant hunting with friends, he asked would you like to shoot too you can take my extra gun - shot my 1st bird, 2 months later had my own gun, then my own Chessie - suddenly I was getting hunting stuff for b-days and the trip to the Bahamas turned into Sasketchewan, a 3rd Chessie, dog shows, hunt tests, on the board of the HRC - so I guess I'm a hunter.

I do have a great dh who is a very considerate teacher and can carries the balance of the loads I don't have the strength for. Some of our most romantic days have been just hunting together, as well as some of the funniest moments of our married lives.

We have 3 chessies, Hoagie (dh) is 13 and blind and dysplastic now; Thor (mine) is 11 a finished show champ with a few HRC and AKC hunts tests under his collar he is a regular steady freddy out hunting, but tires easily now. And Flash is 7, highly untrained, thinks she is a princess, loves to swim and pheasant hunt and we are still working on her duck hunting.

DH and I had a beautiful boy-he was going to be the next TV outdoor host. He was born premature and was doing great but at 6 months started having seizures, we were never able to get them under control and we lost him to a seizure at age 2-1/2. I had done a little hunting as he was growing and had started our little guy out early, but lost a little enthusiasm after he died and after 3 years am just now getting back in the groove again.

Hope you don't mind my long winded story, I hadn't had anyone to really share my joy (and loss) in the sport with anyone besides dh.

Thanks for being here, I look forward to chatting and sharing stories and information with you all.

Duckgirl123
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:09 am

Hey duckgirl! :welcome:

While since your a Chessie owner you may want to check out the hunting dog forum as well. There's a few other Chessie fans there. :) Do you still run the hunt tests? I'd love to go watch one sometime but I'm not even sure where to start looking for them.

Sounds like you have a great hubby! Me too! I still can't believe he puts up with me sometimes. :rofl: :biggrin:

And wow, I can't imagine going through the loss of a child like that.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Welcome! I too am so glad I recently found this forum.

Your hunting background is similar to mine. I've always enjoyed everything outdoors and followed around after hubby for so many years that I finally decided to hunt myself, and I love it! I also love fishing.

I wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your son. There are really no words to say except I am sorry. I honestly can't imagine what you have went through losing a child. My brother died young (we were very close and did a lot of fishing and camping together) and I know how hard it was on me, but I saw the grieving process my mom went through and still goes through almost 13 years later. Some idiotic people told my mom to get over it because it has been long enough, but you will never get over it. You just cannot get over losing a child ever! You will learn how to live through it, though. And although my mom still misses him just as much as she did 13 years ago, it does get easier with time.

I'm glad you found us! All the ladies here are very nice and helpful.
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:25 am

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

The hunt tests are fun, but a lot of work, and if you belong to a club and train with them all year, they usually run their own hunt test. There are a lot of "breed" clubs associated usually with the AKC around everywhere. But we belonged to the UKC Hunting Retreiver Club, there was a club pretty close to us and we met some wonderful people there, some who we are friends with after 10 years. HRC is more geared toward "hunting" and training and the AKC is really more about the titles, although the hunt tests are very similar.

Here is the national website for HRC, you can find a local club nearest to you, give them a call, join them for training day, the website also lists when the hunt tests are, usually in the spring and fall.

http://www.hrc-ukc.com/

Great Lakes HRC may be the closet to you in Paw Paw, MI

We haven't really had time for the club since our little guy was born, but I was membership secretary for a long time, and did just about everything and anything for the club - I loved it, but very time consuming. Our dogs are older now, as am I - may join again sometime in the future.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Leslie
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll definately check it out. I'd love to train a lab, but we already have two dogs at home and we have a two dog limit. I promised that the hubby can get a beagle next. He really wants a rabbit dog. The two muttleys at home right now are definately mine. :rofl:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: HELLO!!! Hunting ladies

Postby Quackity Gal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm a bit late to the topic, but figured this was as good as a place to post as any...

I always wanted to go hunting, but wasn't "encouraged" to get into. I finally decided to do it on my own. I made the commitment to start hunting this year, and it's been the best choice I've made this year! After trying in vain to buy some women's waders (was too hesitant to purchase Cabela's online without trying them on first, and procrastinated), I gave up and purchased some men's Redheads from a Bass Pro Shop. While the boots are still big (size 6 men's) the rest "fits" well enough, and I use my brother's old school camo jacket which fits perfectly.

I shot my first duck (pintail) on Christmas Eve morning (thanks Santa!). Absolutely the proudest moment of my life this year! Went out again on Sunday, and discovered just how quick teals are!

Look forward to being able to contribute to the forum, and can definitely say I'm quack-crazed!

-Duck-smitten Remi
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 am

Quackity Gal wrote:I'm a bit late to the topic, but figured this was as good as a place to post as any...

I always wanted to go hunting, but wasn't "encouraged" to get into. I finally decided to do it on my own. I made the commitment to start hunting this year, and it's been the best choice I've made this year! After trying in vain to buy some women's waders (was too hesitant to purchase Cabela's online without trying them on first, and procrastinated), I gave up and purchased some men's Redheads from a Bass Pro Shop. While the boots are still big (size 6 men's) the rest "fits" well enough, and I use my brother's old school camo jacket which fits perfectly.

I shot my first duck (pintail) on Christmas Eve morning (thanks Santa!). Absolutely the proudest moment of my life this year! Went out again on Sunday, and discovered just how quick teals are!

Look forward to being able to contribute to the forum, and can definitely say I'm quack-crazed!

-Duck-smitten Remi

Welcome to the sport and great job on your first! Teals are crazy fast and widgeons can do the same. You'll get better every time you go out.

Mens clothing is something we just have to get used to at least for now. I bought some waders at Cabellas this year and do I look very fashionable? Notta, but they do the purpose. I bought the kind with the separate boots. I got medium waders and then I got my shoe size in womens wader boots. I love them. Best purchase I've made instead of trying to clunk around with the mens boots that were attached to my old waders. It's so much easier to walk now with shoes that fit me! Bass Pro does have some women's camo clothing. I bought a pair of pants there before my elk hunt. The only thing I can't stand is the waist goes just about up to my boobs. I fold them down so I'm more comfortable. Do the makers not know that most of us women don't like the high waisted pants? Urgghh! E-bay is where I got all my first camos. Old army clothes and they are still my favorite camos and most comfortable camos.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby ladyoftheblind » Mon May 17, 2010 6:15 pm

hi all!
I am also a little late to this post, but I guess later is better then never. I am brand new to DHC... my husband actually got me interested in it. (I guess I was complaining one day about not having any female hunting buddies) LOL... anyways. I am a lot like you all. I got started by wanting to spend time with my hubby, when he decided that he wanted to start Duck hunting, he warned me that I either need to get out there with him, or bear becoming a "hunting widow".. So I bought some cheap waders to start out with and a youth 20 gauge shotgun (which be forewarned kicks worse than my husbands 12 ga. No joke) and I've been hooked ever since!! I have only been hunting for 2 years now so I am still fairly new. My first year out I only got 2 birds.. 2 mergansers and a woody I believe... We are out in VA and military so it makes it hard to find land or public hunting areas are pretty scarce. Anyways, I'm rambling on here but wanted to say Hello and hope to keep chatting with you ladies!
ladyoftheblind
Newb

Postby Quackity Gal » Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Lady!

Welcome to DHC. I've managed to meet some great guys via the boards, and now have a group that I can go trap shooting with. I'm working on getting my friend into shotgun hunting (she's a deer/elk gal, but is willing to try duck hunting this winter!). I'm not at all familiar with Virginia hunting, but if you ever make it out to Northern California, let me know!

Cheers,
Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey Lady! I had to laugh when I read your comment about complaining about not having any other females to hunt with. I'm saying that all the time too. lol. I've just recently started to meet a few other ladies that share a love of the outdoors. But it's taken three years of networking and I'm still not sure if I can get any to go duckhunting next fall. And to be honest with 8 month old twins at home, I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to get out. Hopefully a few! Anyhow, just wanted to say hi, and I'm afraid I'll be rather scarce around here. I'm without internet at the house for a while, I happen to be posting from my parents house right now.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Ladyoftheblind! Welcome. I'm actually a lot like you but I followed my husband around with him hunting for 7 years before I decided I wanted to hunt myself the last few years. I just liked spending time with him and being outdoors and hunting just grew on me. I started with all cheap stuff and hand me downs. I'm just starting to get my own "new" stuff and I love it. Still wish there were more options for women's clothes though, but little by little I think it will happen.

I too am just starting to meet some other females that like to hunt too and have been out a couple times with other women on a javelina hunt and dove hunting. I haven't found any female duck hunters yet but hopefully soon.

I'm thoroughly addicted to bow hunting and just got my new Passion and can't put it down! The Passion was made just for women (see they are getting the hint that women like to hunt too)!

Anyhow, keep on doing what you are doing. I totally agree that I'd rather be out with my family hunting than a hunting widow at home (yuck). I love the outdoors! And honestly the women's forum is a bit slow so I tend to stick with the other forums. The guys are nice and helpful.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum