LADIES I GOT MY FIRST BANDED DUCK!!!!!!!!!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

LADIES I GOT MY FIRST BANDED DUCK!!!!!!!!!

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 am

I got my very first ever FLYING DUCK!!!!!!!!! and it was BANDED!!!! I usually have to water swat them I know that all the big time hunters don't ever water swat but I have only been hunting since last year and not many times out since JD was in Iraq but now he is home we will be hunting more and hopefully I will be improving more and more. I was so excited I came home and mass emailed all my family and friends LOL

It was so cool we had 8 ducks checking out our spread and they circled about 5 times JD said this is it now or never so we stood and pushed the blind top down and we fired I picked out the second from the back and thought I hit it but then it kept flying so I said I guess I missed big time then all of a sudden mine just folded and dropped DRT we went to get it JD was real excited because this was like I said my first flying duck He was saying all the way out to pick it up I am proud of you It was so cool but when we got out to it and he picked it up he was like OMG I don't believe it YOUR VERY FIRST FLYING DUCK EVER AND ITS BANDED!!!!! I said no way and then he showed it too me I don't think I stopped grinning the rest of the day heck I am still grinning :gatgun:
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.
-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 am

Way to go Carolyn!!! :biggrin: That's so awesome! So are you having it mounted or for dinner? ;) Seriously, that's so cool!

And don't worry about the water-swatting. That still seems about the only way I can kill anything too. I was really hoping that I'd be able to fold a couple this season, but it hasn't happened yet and it looks like the season is about over for us. :( I figure I'd rather make a clean kill water-swatting than flinging steel attempting to pass shoot, right?
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Carolyn Odell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:Way to go Carolyn!!! :biggrin: That's so awesome! So are you having it mounted or for dinner? ;) Seriously, that's so cool!

And don't worry about the water-swatting. That still seems about the only way I can kill anything too. I was really hoping that I'd be able to fold a couple this season, but it hasn't happened yet and it looks like the season is about over for us. :( I figure I'd rather make a clean kill water-swatting than flinging steel attempting to pass shoot, right?

I am getting it mounted...and Yep I totally agree with the last statement. I try to pass shoot but not when I know that I want be able to hit for sure and I know my limits I am a water shooter or a close pass kinda gal not making no 60 or 80 yd shots...LOL
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:05 am

Hey, nice big fat greenhead with "jewlery".

Congrats!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let us know what you find out when you call in your
band #.

So do we call you "Drop'em Like a Rock" now?
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 am

:rofl: I think we should!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Carolyn Odell » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:07 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is too funny Ladies..... :yes:
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Way cool! Congrats! Some people never get a banded bird!

I guess that is why I don't get many ducks cuz I won't shoot em off the water. I will make them fly if they are on the water before I shoot them. I did that with my first dove (shot it out of a tree) and felt horrible about it. I just wanted to make sure I could hit something because I kept missing so many. As hard as quail is, I recently had the opportunity to shoot two off the ground and passed. I just can't do it. I'm not judging at all, but for myself I felt so bad for shooting that dove out of a tree and I don't want to feel that way again.

You should post your mount when you get it back and let us know where the bird came from when you call in the number!
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Carolyn Odell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:25 pm

I actually shot this duck flying and I understand your feelings about water swatting; however, I am of the mind set if they land in our decoys then we have actually closed the deal, and shooting them off the water assists with eliminating the dumb ones from the gene pool.
Adh mor!
Carolyn Odell

-Otto von Bismarck
Carolyn Odell
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Carolyn Odell wrote:I actually shot this duck flying and I understand your feelings about water swatting; however, I am of the mind set if they land in our decoys then we have actually closed the deal, and shooting them off the water assists with eliminating the dumb ones from the gene pool.

I had originally read that this one was flying, but was just referencing the other part of the posts about shooting em in the water.

Again, absolutely awesome that it was banded. I've only seen a few banded birds on the flyway website that were killed in AZ so my chances are extremely slim. Keep us posted when you get the band info!
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 am

Way to go on the band and the shot, i've been at for .....well..alot of years , and i still havent shot a duck with a band, got a few on geese and 1 brant but no ducks. Congratulations.....oh yea, dont sweat the swatting. If a bird lands in my deeks, he DOES NOT get up again.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum