What do you shoot?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora, LadyK

What do you shoot?

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Just curious what guns you ladies shoot. After some trial and error I've found that so far, I like side-by-sides best. The balance works well for me and I love that straight stock. I'm a little unconventional though. lol.

My favorite shotgun is my Beretta Silverhawk. It's a 20g, and it feel so good. AND it's pretty. lol. It was a Christmas present from the hubby the first year we were married and he REALLY shouldn't have spent that much money. But, I'm glad he did. :rofl: I know some people would be appalled, but I take it rabbit hunting and duck hunting on the nicer days. It has some "character engravings" on the stock. But what's the use of owning a gun and never taking it out hunting, right? ;)
[img]http://armpou.com/images/BERETTA%20471%20SILVER%20HAWK%20CAL.%2020.jpg[/img[

I just recently traded my Beretta 390 for a CZ Bobwhite in 12g. This is going to be my backup for my Silverhawk on the nastier weather days. I shot it for the first time last Saturday and it feels pretty good. The trigger pull is a little heavier on the front trigger so I'll have to get used to that, but it swings really nicely.

I also have a Ruger M77 in .270 that I use for deer hunting. It's a really nice rifle. It's been passed around my husband's family for years. He used it, then his sister did, now I am. And my husband gave me his old Browning lever-action .22. It's a very fun plinker.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I shoot a Benelli Nova 12 gauge. I really like it. It is camo, but I use it for upland birds too. I hinted about getting a different shot gun for x-mas and reserving this for waterfowl, but we will see.

DH got me a 22 about 6-7 years ago for x-mas. These are my only two guns that are "mine."

I'm using DH's Contender for my upcoming javalina hunt in February. I can't wait to get out there and start practicing with it, but I will concentrate more on that after duck season is over.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:29 am

Are you using a full-size Nova or a youth model? I used a Supernova last year and couldn't hit ANYTHING with it. The stock was too long, it was too heavy, I totally sucked with it. I'm not the best shotgunner anyway, but it made things even worse. It's a nice gun, just the fit was all wrong.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 pm

I have an old browing 12 Ga pump I use for most duck hunting, and a Ruger Red Label 20 ga over and under I use for upland. (but I sometimes take it out duck hunting because I'm better with it than the pump)
I have my "personal proctection" gun for my side arm when big game/camping it's a Ruger .45ca semi (it's so fun to shoot!) and I'm thinking about selling my deer rifle, it's a frankensteined browing lever action, but has winchester stock...weird caliber, I can never remember until I look at the box of shells.
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:30 pm

That's part of why I like my .270. It's easy to remember the caliber. ;)

I forgot that technically I own a snubby Taurus .38 Special. It's actually my dad's but we transfered the registration to me, so I could take it to a concealed carry class. I figure once he asks for it back, we'll do the paperwork to transfer the registration back to him. But he hasn't asked yet. :wink:

My brother-in-law has a 12g Red Label and loves it. I hear you about shooting the double better, that's why I'm just sticking with side-by-sides now. I shoot so much better with them, than I do anything else.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum