End of Season Blues

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

End of Season Blues

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 am

The Michigan season has been wrapped up for a while now, minus a 2-day late season New Year's weekend. Late goose season is still open, but I haven't seen any geese in a while, either. And we don't really have the equipment for goose only. I'm bummed. Are the rest of you ladies still hunting? If not, what are you doing now that the season is over?

I did get one last cool hunt in last week. I had to go to Tennessee to do it. lol. The hubby, his dad and I booked a guided hunt on Kentucky Lake for two days. The weather had been pretty crappy for duck hunting prior to us getting there. The group the day before we hunted got skunked completely. It was really warm out. But thankfully the temps dropped and our first day there our group of five in the blind shot a mixed bag of GW teal, mallards, pins, widgeon and gadwall. We had a total of 10 ducks. We embarrassed ourselves with our shooting on a flock of 15 teal, but the rest of the day we only let about 3 ducks leave our spread. Not on purpose. ;) It was so cool though, cause we normally shoot mallards, woodies, and a few teal. We'd never seen the others. And we have one of the pins at the taxidermist. We think we scared it to death, couldn't find a mark on it. lol.

The second day of the trip was all mallards. We had a good shoot the first couple hours of the morning, but then it started raining the rest of the day. The birds just stopped flying with the rain. We didn't limit out either day, and there were a few things that we would have done differently than the guide, but it was still a really cool trip. It was our first time hunting big water and it's really neat to watch the birds circle 3-4 times and then drop in. Normally we hunt little woods ponds or marshes and the birds are swimming in your spread before you have a chance to react. lol.

I had had some horrid luck duck hunting this year. My confidence was a little (read, a lot) shaky. I had a few "party" kills, but I hadn't yet dropped one duck in flight that I knew without a doubt was mine. Until Tennessee. The first day of the trip we had a pair of mallards work the side of the blind that the hubby and I were on. I pulled up on the drake, but Joe pulled the trigger before I was able to. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, wanted a duck of my own. I can't tell you how much. so I swung on the hen and bang! She dropped. It felt REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good. :thumbsup: I laugh when I think about how much money was spent and that I had to go to TN to finally shoot my first duck of the year. And it was Suzy. :rofl:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Post production starts, and maybe just maybe I can actually get something mounted of my own............. :fingerhead:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 am

Oh wow your TN trip sounds like great fun, what a way to top off the season.

We never did find any geese to hunt since the 1st, too much snow and too much ice, not enough open water.

We have switched to ice fishing. Went out last weekend caught a few pot licker (not big enough to keep, only big enough to lick the pot) perch and a couple crappies. This weekend was way too cold, to drag everything out on the ice, maybe back out next weekend. DH had to work today, otherwise we would have been out there today.

And now I'm ready to think about the gobblers already, will be applying for our permits soon, and scouting when the snow melts, although we have our favorite areas.

Outdoorama at Rock Financial end of Feb and March brings our big local DU banquet, always something.
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:30 am

Never been to Outdoorama, but I'm looking forward to the Sports Show here in GR. It's put on by the same group. And yep, I'd really like to go to a Delta banquet that's next month. I've never been to a DU or Delta dinner, they sound like a lot of fun.

I'm totally thinking turkeys too. My husband and I applied for our permits last night. And now it's just a matter of keeping our fingers crossed. Time to start watching turkey videos and practicing the turkey calls. lol. I've never icefished. It sounds fun, but I think I'd get bored... and cold. We'll be doing some rabbit hunting on the weekends though for sure.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum