**Research on women in hunting**

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

**Research on women in hunting**

Postby MK2022 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:40 am

Hello everyone! I have been a member of duckhuntingchat.com for a while. I consistently visit the website, but I have not made too many posts. I have been an avid duck hunter since I was about 12 and took my first deer this past season.

:hi:

I am a graduate student in Communications at Florida State University and am writing a research paper on one of my favorite topics-- Women in Hunting. I was hoping ya'll could help me out a little by answering a few questions. My main research question is how message board forums are helping the the trend of women in hunting grow and what women hunters are concerned with.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:biggrin:

Thanks!
Katie
MK2022
hunter

Re: **Research on women in hunting**

Postby MK2022 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:49 am

Here are the questions:

1.) Did you start hunting because of a male relative, partner, or spouse?
Father, grandfather, uncle, brother, boyfriend, husband?
2.) How old were you when you first started going hunting? (Whether or not you carried a gun or just came along with someone else.)
3.) Have you noticed more of a trend in women-in-hunting?
4.) Do you find it difficult to find other female hunters and/or find ways to communicate with them?
5.) Have online message boards and forums helped you meet other female hunters?
6.) Do you hunt with all women?
7.) Do you hunt with all men?
8.) Are you encouraged to hunt by your male partner and/or male friends?
9.) Do you feel that women hunt in different ways than men?
10.) What types of hunting do you do?
11.) Do you find it difficult to find clothes for hunting? How do you find them?
12.) Do you find it difficult to find appropriate gear (guns, stands, etc)? How do you find them?
13.) How do you feel you are treated/accepted as a female hunter by male hunters?
14.) Do you feel there are enough female hunters portrayed on TV and in magazines?
15.) Do you feel there are any famous female hunters or female hunters in the media? Any comments about this?
16.) Any other problems, thoughts, or points you’d like to share?

THANKS!!!
MK2022
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 am

:welcome: Katie. Don't be a stranger! :)

Sounds like a really cool project, I'll be back to answer the questions a little bit later. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:51 pm

:welcome: Hello!
I'll be adventous and answer some questions for you.
1. I started hunting with my dad
2. I imagine I was 3-4 when we started to go out hunting and fishing. I didn't start shooting until I was 10-12 tho
3. I have, but I'll keep my opinion of that to my self. Seems to be more trendy, kinda like the song "I was country when country wasn't cool"
4. Until I found this web site, I thought other women hunters (besides my sis) were a fairytale......
5. See above
6. no
7. mostly unless me and my sis go out and work over Dad's dogs
8. most boys think it's pretty cool I can kill my own supper. :thumbsup:
9. mostly, in my experience anyway. I'm more patient on a stalk than the hubby.
10. anymore just ducks/waterfowl, upland game.
11. not really, I'm almost 6' tall so most mens stuff will fit me, all be in a little more snug in the hip area after the kiddo came along. :sad:
12. never really had a problem with it
13. sometimes, there's always those with "tough guys" that I think judge me, but I've proven myself on more than one occation. :wink:
14. there are more but some look like they there for the "looks" of things and it's always thier first white tail, what's up with that. I want to see a gal out in -22 in a blind!!! :lol3: (I could take a picture of anyone of us! LOL)
15. don't watch enough hunting shows to tell you. I imagine there's some out there how popular they are I have no idea.
16. Nope, I think you covered it.
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 am

1.) Did you start hunting because of a male relative, partner, or spouse?
Father, grandfather, uncle, brother, boyfriend, husband?
My dad. I always loved being outside, camping, and animals. Hunting was just a natural progression for me.

2.) How old were you when you first started going hunting? (Whether or not you carried a gun or just came along with someone else.)
I was probably about 9-10. Dad would let me carry a BB gun around the woods, while he would set up tree stands, etc. (At the time kids couldn't small game hunt in Michigan until age 12.) After hunter's safety, we would squirrel hunt together, and when I was 14 I started rifle hunting for whitetail. I would have hunted sooner, but darn those Michigan laws.

3.) Have you noticed more of a trend in women-in-hunting?
There definately seem to be more women hunters than 10 years ago. Bowhunters especially.

4.) Do you find it difficult to find other female hunters and/or find ways to communicate with them?
Yes and no. In my immediate social circle and area yes it is hard. Or those that I do find out that hunt, are much more casual about hunting than I am. Or they're bowhunters. Something I'm not especially interested in. I've driven to the other side of the state to pheasant hunt with women only before. I would love to find another chica closer to my home that would be interested in duck/goose/ or turkey hunting with me.

5.) Have online message boards and forums helped you meet other female hunters?
Absolutely.

6.) Do you hunt with all women?
Very rarely. Once on a Becoming an Outdoor Woman pheasant hunt. And one pheasant hunt with one of the ladies I met at the previous hunt.

7.) Do you hunt with all men?
Yes. I deer hunt with my dad and uncles. And I rabbit, turkey and waterfowl hunt with my husband, his brother, and his dad.

8.) Are you encouraged to hunt by your male partner and/or male friends?
Yes. At the same time, my husband also enjoys going out with just the guys. I have to remember that he needs his "guy time" too.

9.) Do you feel that women hunt in different ways than men?
I'm torn on this one. I don't think gender necessarily plays a difference in the ways people hunt. You could ask multiple men about the way they hunt and they each could be different. But, men and women do think differently, it's just they way we're made and that could translate into the way we hunt. I believe that men tend to in general have more of a single focus, while women tend to think about about multiple things at a time. And a lot of women aren't willing to put up with some of the crappy weather that men will.

10.) What types of hunting do you do?
Pretty much anything that I have the opportunity to try. My favorites are waterfowling, turkey, and small game (especially rabbits), I'd like to do more upland bird hunting (pheasant and partridge), and I deer hunt.

11.) Do you find it difficult to find clothes for hunting? How do you find them?
I find it hard to find AFFORDABLE clothes for hunting. I'm small so I can wear some youth clothes, I do a lot of online shopping for deals (such as ebay). The stores near me only have the very basics in women's hunting clothes. There are a lot more companies starting to sell quality women's gear online though. If your willing to pay for it.

12.) Do you find it difficult to find appropriate gear (guns, stands, etc)? How do you find them?
It's virtually impossible for me to by a shotgun off the rack that will fit me - stock length and comb height especially. I plan on having my shotguns fitted to me by a gunsmith.

13.) How do you feel you are treated/accepted as a female hunter by male hunters?
Often I'll have guys say they wish their significant other was as interested in hunting as I am. In certain stores I may get "talked down to" by staff thinking I'm a beginner or shopping for someone else.

14.) Do you feel there are enough female hunters portrayed on TV and in magazines?
I don't watch tv, but I have noticed more about women hunters in magazines lately. Often articles are very basic though.

15.) Do you feel there are any famous female hunters or female hunters in the media? Any comments about this?
Since I don't watch tv, I don't really feel qualified to answer.

16.) Any other problems, thoughts, or points you’d like to share?
Anyone ladies want to go duck hunting with me? :lol3:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MK2022 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Every bit of info has helped and I have finalized my research paper.

:clapping:

Katie
MK2022
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum