Which Version/Translation of the Bible?

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Which Version/Translation of the Bible?

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Which do you read, own, prefer?

I have a small, very portable New International Version (NIV), also have an old English Standard Version (ESV) hardcover. both are easy reading.

I have been spending some quality time in the New Testament lately.
bluewing77
hunter

Re: Which Version/Translation of the Bible?

Postby RiceMagnet » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:28 pm

I like the ESV. It's what I use. We probably have the same kind. Mine's light brown, and fairly small. I would guess about 6 inches X 12 inches. My buddy was the youth director at my church and got me a deal on it. :-D
RiceMagnet
hunter

Postby Chance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:52 am

I like the King James Version (KJV) as it makes me concentrate and research some of the words to fully comprehend the message.
Chance
hunter

Postby Daen East » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 am

NIV seems to be the old standby, some of the older language but very readable. I've recently started reading out of the New Living Translation which is great for new christians or group study. It really takes the message of the text and expresses it with modern language- you may not recognize some of your favorite verses though.
"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"
Philippians 3:14
Daen East
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 am

ncv and nasv I like both of em.
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 am

ESV for reading and NASB for studying.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:30 pm

I prefer the King James version. I need to get back into reading at nights like I use to when I was younger.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby FroMan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm fine with most translations. If I'm trying to find literal meaning I'll use ESV or NASB. I usually read NIV for personal reading and sometimes when I preach I'll use NLT or the Message (which is not a translation, it's a paraphrase).

I don't care for KJV or NKJV or anything based off of it or similar to it.
FroMan
hunter

Postby byf41 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I love the King James version,get an old websters dictionary from the 1800's and you will learn more from the King James than any of the newer versions. Did you guys see the movie Raiders of the lost ark? There was a program on tv about the ark. They had a panel of college professors and theologians that didn't know where it was or what happened to it. The old King James knows where it is.And they shall make an ark...And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.ex 25:10-16 The ark of the testimony,and the staves thereof, and the mercy seat, ex 39:35. Now look at Rev.11: 19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament:...
byf41
hunter

Postby Mokan Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Ilike the nasv, nkjv, and the good old kjv. I have my Grandads old study bible and it is a Liberty anotaded (sp?) and I learn so much with the commentary and yes it does prove itself within the bible to prove the comentary.
Mokan Jeff
hunter

Postby HotDog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 pm

I have The King James version, The NIV and The Message. It's great to cross reference things as I study the word.
The King James was the first Bible that I have read through.
I find it easier to study in the NIV.
The Message seems to simplify some concepts making it easier for me to study the other two.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby dmac1175 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm a KJV only reader. You should do some research on some of the revisions it might shock you how much is left out and worded incorrectly. Very important subjects like the virgin birth and the blood atonement. Check out some of Jack Chicks literture on revisions.
dmac1175
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 am

King James, as translated correctly. :yes:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby cannon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 am

From '04-06, I read KJV. When I finished that, from mid '06 to '08, I read the NASV. I'm currently in the NIV. Stephen got stoned again this morning. He's been getting stoned alot since '04.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby WTN10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I use the ESV and the NKJV.

Since someone else brought it up, Dr. James White has dealt extensively with the topic of KJV-Onlyism:

http://vintage.aomin.org/kjvo.html
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Gideons. Price was right when I got it @ the motel.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby utduck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:58 pm

King James version. After all the work, persecution, imprisonment and pain the great translaters went though to get a bible to the common man I just can't read anything else. Also its what I grew up with and I understand it well and the writting style speaks to my soul in ways that newer translations or transliteratins don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
utduck
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Holman Christian Standard here. They have a hunter's version (yes, it's camo) which has some pretty interesting testimonies in the back, along with lessons God teaches us while we're in the field. My first time reading the Bible, and which caused me to be saved, was this version, read almost 100% in treestands and duckblinds.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby okduckdude » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:55 am

KJV or NKJV..... I also sometimes read the NIV, but what i have found to be MOST important is the words that come out of it and the Holy Spirits guidance when reading the bible and asking for guidance as you read it. I usually always go back to the KJV or NKJV to do my in-depth studying.

Let me just end saying this: Words are powerful, look at how they are used, and ask for guidance....... If you get my drift......
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 pm

The most accurate of all the translations compared to the greek language is the NAS. I use that one the most. But you really need to be careful when choosing a translation but, also you need to be careful when choosing the publisher. Zondervan makes about the best and complete versions without all the added weird of man. To really understand or to study you need a couple of different translations, like I said I use the NASB and NKJV, but also use a good concordance. It really helps a lot.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby open door » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 am

I use the KJV and the NKJV - I have others for reference material only. Scripture is to be interpreted from a literal standpoint, except of course where figure of speech or symbollism is obvious - even then, there is a literal meaning behind it when you do your research. I've heard the NASB is good, but don't have one. I've studied end-time Bible prophecy for a few years now, and all that is going on in the Middle East as we speak is directly in accordance with scripture, it's laying the groundwork for the beginning of the 7 year Tribulation Period, a/k/a Daniel's 70th Week. It will begin soon - how soon no one knows, but the pre-trib rapture of the born-again believers MUST happen before the tribulation period starts - so, we don't have much time left. I'm looking forward to that shout "come up here", and all believers will be translated, in the twinkling of an eye, to be with our Lord, for eternity. Bible prophecy is at an 100% accuracy rate, so look for something big, and soon. The most important question any of us will ever answer is "are we ready"? There's only one way, and that is to trust Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal saviour. It has to be from the heart - not from the head, or intellectually.
open door
hunter

Postby Decoy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:48 am

I like the New King James. It reads the best for me and there are small things dropped in some other translations that don't seem to be left out in NKJV. My wife likes the NASV.
Decoy
hunter

Postby duckdodgers44 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:King James, as translated correctly. :yes:

dont you mean as translated correctly by josesph smith, always remember the word of God will stand alone and never has nor does today need any help
duckdodgers44
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality