Holiday Season or Christmas Season?

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Which is it?

Holiday Season?
12%
Christmas?
88%

Total votes : 43

Holiday Season or Christmas Season?

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:36 am

I don't know why we here in North America are ashamed to stand up and say this is the Christmas Season as this is the time of year we as Christians celebrate the birth of our lord Jesus Christ. Now in my humble opinion it was christians who sailed across the Atlantic and proclaimed this land America in the name of Christ Jesus and their Queen/Kings was it not. Therefore it is a Christian Found and proclaimed continent and we should not hide our religious beleifs or holidays because some one else may not like it.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:14 am

Greg, I agree with you, but I think it is a holiday season. One of the things I love the most about this country is that it allows its citizens to embrace all forms of expression, be it in speech, print, or how we choose to celebrate our religious beliefs. This country (and continent) was founded by a great proportion of misfits who didn't fit in anywhere else, and despite some of my grumblings from time to time, I still embrace the great diversity that descended from those misfits. In my house, it's all about Christmas, including a tree and a nativity. I am proud of that and would never try to hide it, but I am also proud of the fact that some of my best friends are Jewish, and for them, this is the holiday season. I think that the most important thing to remember is that this wonderful time of year is for celebrating, rejoicing, gathering with family and friends, and thanking God for all the wonderful blessings He has given us in the last year.
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby Cephous » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:24 am

I hear that some stores are refusing to allow their employees to greet customers with "Merry Christmas" to avoid offending anyone. Does anyone see this as a problem?
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby Butchhe » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:34 pm

HuntingWife wrote:Greg, I agree with you, but I think it is a holiday season. One of the things I love the most about this country is that it allows its citizens to embrace all forms of expression, be it in speech, print, or how we choose to celebrate our religious beliefs. This country (and continent) was founded by a great proportion of misfits who didn't fit in anywhere else, and despite some of my grumblings from time to time, I still embrace the great diversity that descended from those misfits. In my house, it's all about Christmas, including a tree and a nativity. I am proud of that and would never try to hide it, but I am also proud of the fact that some of my best friends are Jewish, and for them, this is the holiday season. I think that the most important thing to remember is that this wonderful time of year is for celebrating, rejoicing, gathering with family and friends, and thanking God for all the wonderful blessings He has given us in the last year.

Huntingwife/Greg I agree with both of you. The problem I have with the whole thing is that we seam to bow to a small percentage of prople who get offended by it. So the majority of the people have to change their ways. It's the same as the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm not trying to pick a fight, it just my opionion. :umm:
Butchhe
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:03 pm

Butchhe wrote:Huntingwife/Greg I agree with both of you. The problem I have with the whole thing is that we seam to bow to a small percentage of prople who get offended by it. So the majority of the people have to change their ways. It's the same as the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm not trying to pick a fight, it just my opionion. :umm:

Not at all, Butch, you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, religion and faith has fallen victim to the evil of political correctness more than anything else. If only we could just preach tolerance -- then we wouldn't have to worry about offending anyone. I guess the thing to do is to try to effect small changes in our own communities, and hope that it eventually spills over to the outside world.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:56 pm

look its a christmas season. everywhere you look you see christmas stuff and schools focous there break around christmas last year honikia (orry can't spell it) was not givin a break. that shows that the focus is on christmas so it is a christmas season.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:30 pm

christmas season!!!!

i like what greg said about our ancestors sailing to america. being able to worship what we please. for the majority of them, that was christianity. christmas: the celebration of Lord Jesus Christ's birth. i have accepted the free gift Jesus gave to me and i will always fight for everything that pleases Christ.

christmas season! sailing to america-for christianity beliefs-celebrating Christmas for the birth of Christ- AND KEEPING IT THAT WAY FOREVER.

:hammering:
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby duckdog » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:49 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:03 pm

AK Ducks wrote:look its a christmas season. everywhere you look you see christmas stuff and schools focous there break around christmas last year honikia (orry can't spell it) was not givin a break. that shows that the focus is on christmas so it is a christmas season.

Not to get too technical, but Hanukkah is right around Christmas, and most schools are on vacation during the 8 nights of Hanukkah (most if not all).

duckdog wrote:MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You too, duckdog!
Last edited by HuntingWife on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:04 pm

AND TO ALL, KEEP IT REAL WITH JESUS CHRIST :salude:
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby steelshooter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:35 pm

O.K. correct me if im wrong, but if we take christ out of christmas than we have nothing to celebrate, after all the holliday is the celebration of his birth. I tell you what, its getting to where i just understand peoples thinking anymore, me, i'll always keep christ in christmas not matter what happens in this world. Oh yea one more thing for those of you that dont believe in christ go to work cause you have nothing to celebrate.... PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY.
steelshooter
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:19 pm

It's the Christmas season (for myself anyways). I remember a couple of years ago here it became frowned upon to call it Christmas, our city hall renamed their Christmas tree to a "holiday tree" and the Manitoba legislature renamed their tree to a "multicultural tree" as to not offend any non christians in the province. They have since returned to calling it what it really is, a Christmas tree.

Merry Chrismas everyone and all the best in the new year!!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:20 am

Well said HW.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays to all.
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
Forum Moderator

Postby chevyZ71 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:20 pm

merry christmas.

good post steelshooter. why celebrate christmas if it has nothing to do with Christ. its says on the Bible that if you havent accepted Christ's free gift to you, then you decide to pray, God will not even listen to your attempted prays. it wont do any good to pray for anything at that point. BUT, you shouldnt ask for salvation just because you'll be able to have God at least listen to your prayer.
chevyZ71
hunter

An exciting question

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:34 pm

I read this post about three days ago and could not get it off my mind. My Mother-in-law had a similar discussion with the manager of Best Buy and told him that they, by not recognizing Christmas, have offended her.

While pondering it I had some questions that I think the Bible gives clear answers to.

1) If Kwanza fell around other holidays would we call it "Happy Holidays"?
2) Halloween is a holiday that is rich in satanic rituals and traditions. I find it offensive, and my family doesn't participate. Would it even be considered to rename it to "Happy Holidays"?
3) There are many people living on our soil who are anti-goverment or from other countries. Should we rename Veterans Day, Memorial Day or even Presidents Day?

I think these questions open the door to even deeper questions?

4) Why, when people curse, do they say "Jesus Christ", "GD", "Jesus" or "God"?
5) Why don't they say Buddah, Mohammed, etc.

I think the Bible is very clear about this. In Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Paul talks about how we are in a war that is in direct opposition to the Glory of God. In Philippians 2:9-11 it says "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Those who have surrendered thier life to Jesus Christ in the manner in which it talks about in Luke 9:23-26 "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." who know what it means to be saved by grace as it talks about in Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." They rejoice in bowing their knee to their savoir. When we realize without the cleansing blood of Christ we are enemies of God we cannot help but rejoice in his birth at Christmas and his resurrection at Easter. It is everything to us. For those who haven't bowed a knee to Christ, the day in which they don't will not be a day of rejoicing but a day of great sorrow and suffering that will last an eternity. The Bible is clear that the name of Jesus is a stumbling block. In I Corinthians 1:23-24 it says "but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

So when there is even a question of "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" it should be a reminder to us all the we are in a war that has already been won. Our role is to put on the whole armor of God as it spells out in Ephesians 6:11-18. Serve God in all humility and obediance, and do the work of an evangalist.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:54 pm

What Jay said....I wish I was that good. I'm not.
But the point about Veterans day...since the majority of people are not veterans, should we rename the day not to offend people? NO! Nobody is stoping any religion from practicing whatever belief that they want.
This country was founded on freedom of religion, NOT the freedom from religion.

This burns a hole in my shorts.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:10 pm

:salude: To you all no matter what religion or beliefs you hold I wish you one and all A Very Merry Christmas and may the Lord Bless you and Yours through out the New Year. Enjoy the Holidays! :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:25 am

Merry Christmas and Happly Holliday's to everyone.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
Forum Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:54 am

Cephous wrote:I hear that some stores are refusing to allow their employees to greet customers with "Merry Christmas" to avoid offending anyone. Does anyone see this as a problem?

Thats just a stupid law. Remember your liberal fore bears who fought for freedom of religious expression? Now so called "liberals" (illiberals to me) are fighting against it. :thumbsdown:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby poacher » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:29 am

Holiday season. Thats my vote. Yes, christians sailed to this country and took it as their own. They "discovered" it...as the saying goes. I'm pretty sure there were already people living here, that never heard of Jesus Christ, or X-mas.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby cinrds » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:33 am

As I learn what stores will not let employees say Merry Christmas I make sure I never go there again and shop, I also email, call, and or wirte the company and let them know why I will not spend money with them. If the Christians of the world would stand up and do this WE COULD CHANGE THE WORLD. We as Christians have stood by in years past the they have taken away our rights and freedoms one at a time.
cinrds
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Jesus is the reason for the season.........."Happy Birthday Jesus" !!! Lest us not forget why we celebrate Christmas in the first place, the birth of Jesus Christ our Savour.
hankrt
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:08 am

I like "Christmas"....

:salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby carp » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:55 am

Good post everybody. I still like Christmas, and Peace on earth and goodwill towards man. :smile:
carp
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Christmas all the way for my family. "We", North American's, are basically a Christian society based upon Christian beliefs. I think we are forgetting that as a whole and I for one am tired of accomadating the rest of the world. They don't do it for us so why are we so eager to appease them? The 25th of December is a celebration of birth for a man named Jesus Christ, "Christmas", so for me it's MERY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND NOT "Happy Holiday's".
Just my feelings, if I have offended you, sorry and and I'm sure you'll get over it.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Next

Return to Faith-Spirituality