Rediscovering God

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Rediscovering God

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Coming up in an Irish Catholic household; being made to go to church at such inconvenient times that it seemed deliberate by my mom as a method of punishing us, Catholic HS and College, I couldn't wait to NOT go to church once I was deemed "old enough" by my parents. Well, I realized how Catholic I was when I became engaged to a girl who went through all of her early sacraments, but her parents never really went beyond that. I rediscovered the church as I "taught" my fiance in preparation for our wedding. We have made a solid effort to go to services and boy what a pleasant experience without my parents cracking the whip. We just had our first child, first seven days of his life he spent in ICU with an infection. It wasn't serious, but needless to say, I ran to the chapel in the hospital and million things went through my mind. My parents are great people, but as we bring up this little guy, I am going to really try to find a way to make it all make sense to him (church etc..) I am SO happy that we opted for a hospital affiliated with the diocese.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Rediscovering God

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:20 am

Glad to hear your son is now doing well. I have been a Newborn ICU nurse since 2001 -- it has been a rewarding, challenging career. My wife and I are now in our early 30's, she was raised catholic, I was raised methodist. we both spent the last 13+ years "out of fellowship". we now have 2 wonderful daughters and less than a year ago found a Baptist church in our rural area that we was "kid friendly" and where we felt welcome. Renewing our relationship with Christ has been good for our marriage, family.
bluewing77
hunter

Re: Rediscovering God

Postby bayouboy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Coming up in an Irish Catholic household; being made to go to church at such inconvenient times that it seemed deliberate by my mom as a method of punishing us, Catholic HS and College, I couldn't wait to NOT go to church once I was deemed "old enough" by my parents. Well, I realized how Catholic I was when I became engaged to a girl who went through all of her early sacraments, but her parents never really went beyond that. I rediscovered the church as I "taught" my fiance in preparation for our wedding. We have made a solid effort to go to services and boy what a pleasant experience without my parents cracking the whip. We just had our first child, first seven days of his life he spent in ICU with an infection. It wasn't serious, but needless to say, I ran to the chapel in the hospital and million things went through my mind. My parents are great people, but as we bring up this little guy, I am going to really try to find a way to make it all make sense to him (church etc..) I am SO happy that we opted for a hospital affiliated with the diocese.

like you, i couldnt wait not to go to church, now, i'm grateful my parents took us to mass every weekend. it's amazing all things i learned that have come back and now make sense.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality