Christians and war???

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Christians and war???

Postby duckslam » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Here is something that has been on my mind over the past years. Should christians be involved with war and the military? Christ said so much about love for people, our friends, neighbors, family, even our enemies, and especually our brothers and sisters in Christ. With all the horrible things that happen in war, bloodshed, destruction of homes, familys, lives, etc, how could a christian be involved? The greatest comandment is love, 1 John 4:21, 1 John 3:23, There are many verses on love. And if we as christians are call to share our faith with those that are lost, if christains are going to war isn't that defeating the purpose and send lost souls straight to hell? And if christains say it is ok to go to war, mutiple countries are at war with christians on each side, how can a true christian shoot or kill another christian. We as true christians are held to the high calling of God to live true to the word of God and be a light to those around us, to do good, to witness our faith with those that are lost, and to love our brothers in christ. Anyway thats what I have to share.

Gun:bang + Duck:splash = one more for the table
duckslam
Newb

Re: Christians and war???

Postby mixedbag916 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Great points. Very complex question IMO. Depends on a lot of things. I think there are instances when was is necessary (NOT for oil though). I'm not sure on the passage or the details, but before when Jesus was taken prisoner so that he could be crucified, at least one of His apostles was armed with a sword and cut off his ear. Just thinking out loud. I don't think this is a black and white question, but I could be wrong. I'm not a Bible scholar.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 am

Yes they should be involved with the military. As Christians we are called to stand up for those that can't stand up for themselves, which is what you are doing in a war. By entering a war you are protecting people and helping people. War in the long run helps save lives and whether anyone will admit to it or not, the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan are saving lives somewhere. Our God is also a God of justice and will understand what is happening and that we are doing what we are to bring evil people to justice.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 am

Its also important to remember that history is full of prominent religious figures who used their power of position to "persuade" fellow christians to go to war. Fighting for christ is a conveinent euphemism that can guise any number of ulterior motives.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby 37lbgoose » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 pm

faith helps us through. i cannot tell you how many people i have met that have become religous during their time served. especially when they go overseas.

"The soldier is summoned to a life of active duty and so is the Christian."
~ William Gurnall

"He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes."
Psalm 112:7-8
Arkansas River Valley Outdoors Prostaff
37lbgoose
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:58 pm

The Bible is filled with wars. From Genesis to Revelation you’ll read of wars past and future.
David the Bible said was a man after God’s own heart. Yet we find him in Psalms 35, making this cry to the Lord 35:1-3 “Fight against those who fight against me. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help. Also draw out the spear and stop those who pursue me.”
As a Christian you’re called to be soldiers in Christ, sure that’s a spiritual soldier and if our country calls us or we volunteer and we swear an oath to defend against all enemies foreign and domestic then we know we will be in the will of God. For the Bible says that we should first count the cost and if we choose do so, then it says our yes should yes and our no’s should be no’s. In other words we’re not to change our minds. It also says’s that if a man doesn’t defend his country and household he’s worse than a non-believer.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:40 pm

while i don't think we should go to war for every random little thing that upsets us. i do believe that war is necessary sometimes. all throughout the Bible the Lord himself used war to bring many nations to their knees. He use war to overthrough corrupt nations and bring them to justice. The Lord is a just God and has and will bring nations to their fate if they choose not to follow his ways (and i believe this includes the U.S. if we continue to follow down the wicked path we are going down). this has happened more times throughout the Bible than i can even count. as Christians we are called to profess the word of the Lord to all nations. this might only be done by war in some instances. if it wasn't for war we would not have the very freedoms we have today which enables us to preach the good news to the world. without a persons freedom of speech and religion the Word of the Lord would be squelched dramatically. So let me ask you would you fight to profess the name of the Lord.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 pm

i've pondered this myself many times and i agree with what you say. but, to have a free country where we can practice religion we need to fight for our right. it's a tough question. i don't know.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

870 wrote:David the Bible said was a man after God’s own heart. Yet we find him in Psalms 35, making this cry to the Lord 35:1-3 “Fight against those who fight against me. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help. Also draw out the spear and stop those who pursue me.”

He was also a murderer and an adulteror, and was prohibited from building a temple because his hands had resulted in far too much bloodshed. On the other hand, there were the instances where figures in the Bible were commanded by God to destroy a community, including women, children, animals, etc. I don't think the issue is with the involvement of Christians in warfare. I think the issue is with corrupt governments convincing nations to enter into wars that have NOTHING to do with their stated goals.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby skeeterbit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am

Just one other thing to think about. When the gentiles were give the gospel (Acts 10) it was through Peter and Cornellius; Cornellius was a Centurion which is a military leader. Seems like if the military was an evil occupation God would have chosen another route to pass the gospel along. I think this is speaks of God's view of people serving in the military that are "God-fearing." By the way if you want a good scripture to justify hunting this is a good chapter to use, along with Acts 11.
skeeterbit
Newb

Postby 870 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 am

Acts 10:13 perfect
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby snieff » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:10 pm

The Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

I don't care for war but as a follower of Christ I believe we should stand for whats right and protect those rights.
snieff
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes, we should stand up for what is right. But does that mean by using force? Yes Jesus' disciple cut off the soldiers ear, but that's not what Jesus wanted. All the examples people have brought up are from the Old Testament. When Christ came to earth he said no longer shall it be an eye for an eye. In the Beatitudes he says Blessed are the poor in spirit, Blessed are the meek. NOT Blessed are those who have the most weapons and force. I understand it most certainly is not a Black and White question but after more research and looking into what Christ said when he came to earth. He says to turn our other cheek. So I don't know.
bdub20
hunter

Postby Decoy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I don't know. I have thought about it many times.
Decoy
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:59 pm

There's a huge difference between a personal war and a national one. I believe that the Bible clearly mandates that followers of Christ be passive in their individual pursuits. In other words, individually, I believe that Christians should live by the philosophy that "if someone's got to be uncomfortable, it might as well be ME". For a soldier who is acting on direct orders in a nationally-mandated war, however, I think the Bible paints a different picture.

There isn't a single passage in the Bible that I'm aware of that condemns national-level wars on the soldier's individual level. Quite the opposite, there are countless references, even by Jesus himself, to the soldier, his duties, and how a good one doesn't get caught up in civilian affairs. I can't imagine a teacher who would use someone as an example of doing what's right and then turn and condemn the same soldier for doing his prescribed job. Personal vendettas, on the other hand, are clearly forbidden. To my shame, those are the ones I'm more prone to engage in.
cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

AidanK wrote:
870 wrote:As a Christian you’re called to be soldiers in Christ, sure that’s a spiritual soldier and if our country calls us or we volunteer and we swear an oath to defend against all enemies foreign and domestic then we know we will be in the will of God. For the Bible says that we should first count the cost and if we choose do so, then it says our yes should yes and our no’s should be no’s. In other words we’re not to change our minds. It also says’s that if a man doesn’t defend his country and household he’s worse than a non-believer.

Christians dont take part in an Unjust or Immoral War.

Says who? The Bible clearly endorses the responsibility of soldiers to follow the orders of their commanding officers. Why would you argue was the "Christian" motive behind the jewish invasion of Canaan?

It was a nice piece of real estate. God wanted them to have it. "Milk and honey" rather than oil, but pretty much the same thing.
cannon
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am

I realize this is an old thread but there is one point worth making...Looking at the founding of our Country one will realize our first and arguably our greatest war victory, the Revolutionary War, was fought for religious measures (among other independence issues). As a new Country our founders fought a long and very bloody war to gain independence and freedom from religious persecution. They bled and died in order for citizens to be free to practice whatever religion one chooses and not be held under the thumb of Church leaders as well as a non representative monarchy. So, religion and war make up the very backbone that the USA was founded and built upon.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 pm

There was a man I know that few have ever heard of.
He held similar views as does duckslam, indeed he acted on them to such an extent that perhaps for the only time in the entire history of warfare a major nation's military advance was put on hold, and from the highest levels that could be reached, so that a private in their army could finish reading his bible, and then say a prayer for the safety of the advancing troops.
It's true! An entire division's advance on Okinawa in WWII was put on hold so that Desmond T Doss could finish reading his bible and then say a prayer.
Desmond T Doss was awarded the congressional Medal of Honor for his valor, for a single incident named, but the men he served with said he "Was the bravest man in the world", deserving of that medal in every action in which he was involved. Some of these same men had threatened his life and offered great abuse of every kind only months before. Then came the dawn.
He refused to carry a weapon of any kind, or to offer harm to any, but served as an army medic, always advancing to save the wounded, while others fled to safety all around him.
You can read about him here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

Or better yet, see the Netflix DVD
The Conscientious Objector
The interviews of his surviving comrads are even more moving than the citation for valor. An almost unbelievable story!
Even more, to hear what Japanese soldiers had to say about why they couldn't kill him!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby GREYHAWK38 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 am

We all know the commandment Thou shall not kill, but this is as one person to another, for if you rise up and kill your brother you have taken his last chance to make peace with the Father. In war every solider knows that every second could be his last,so he keeps himself right with God.
GREYHAWK38
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality