God vs Jesus

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

God vs Jesus

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:31 am

Here is a question that I have always wondered about:
As a Catholic church service nearly always refers to God and the actual word Jesus is not frequent. For Christians I nearly never hear the word God and ALWAYS Jesus..... Why is that?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: God vs Jesus

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 am

That’s a theological question that could stir up a hornet’s nest. As a former Catholic I understand both sides. My answer will fall on the protestant side. The Bible makes it clear there is only one God, manifested in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three make up God. The reason the protestant church focus’s on Jesus is because He is not only our Savior, but also our Lord. All things were created through Him. He is the sacrificial Lamb who came to die for our sins. He is the only mediator between God the Father and man. Our salvation comes only through having a personal relationship with Him. He now sits at the right hand of the Father making intersections for us. He’s the one who sent the Holy Spirit to indwell us, lead us, guide and empower us. Jesus said if you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father. Jesus is the sum total will of God the Father. It will be Jesus who will raise the living and the dead. It will be Jesus who all us will one day will stand in front of and be judged. For the lost they will stand at what’s called the White thrown of judgment (not a good place to be) For the Christians we will be judge at the believers seat. Not to contradict my first sentence, but the Catholic Church focus’s on ordinary people who they call saints, rather than focusing on the one person the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus said “ no one will enter the Kingdom, but through me” What He meant by that is: (1) We must believe He is the Son of God. (2) He came, lived and died for our sins (3) That we’re eternally lost with out Him. (4) For us to work on a deep personal relationship. He, God, doesn’t want us to become religious, what He wants is a Father son/ daughter relationship.
Last edited by 870 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:52 am

Not at all, quite clear and not creepy sounding at all. You know that feeling when you are talking to someone, and really not sure where things are going, then they say something like "have you ever enjoyed any Amway products?" and then it hits you that they have been trying to recruit you? That's the usual feeling I get when I figure out someone has been "saved" which I guess is safer than saying "born again" because that term freaked people out (me).
I don't know about the Saint comment. I think that "rank" is earned by ordinary people who exemplify and even go beyond the word of the Lord during their lives and they are acknowledged, not worshiped through the church.
In short, it seems to me that a lot of our time as Catholics is spent in the business of religion (the diocese and all that political crap) vs getting down to the business of worship.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:00 am

I was at a point in my life where I was sitting in St Margaret’s Church in Chino Cal and was looking up at Jesus hanging there on the cross. I said the most dangerous prayer I’ve ever said I fist said “God I’m a hypocrite and if there is more to You than this reveal it to me.” Man what a ride I’ve been on for over thirty years and I’m never looking back Hey what did you think of my low-profile blind idea? :yes: or :no:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:19 am

I think anything low profile is a good idea. We are still in the design stage so I'll keep you posted.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:56 pm

The Bible says as believers we are called Saints of God sons of God ,,the being ''reborn ' part is Biblical also it's a growth thing we get ''corrected'' daily by the heavenly Father [conviction ,sanctification ]step by step day by day ,,always gaining new knowledge of the scriptures and therefore Christ at the same time ,drawing closer to HIM,,because of a spiritual growth i.e. more faith.Being called a saint isn't something 'r'ewarded to a few ''special ''people.The ground at the foot of the cross is level ,equal oppurtunity given to ALL,,for forgiveness .Al we gotta' do is ask!!!!Thats what makes God ,,Jesus [the same ] so wonderful!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:34 pm

870 wrote:That’s a theological question that could stir up a hornet’s nest. As a former Catholic I understand both sides. My answer will fall on the protestant side. The Bible makes it clear there is only one God, manifested in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three make up God. The reason the protestant church focus’s on Jesus is because He is not only our Savior, but also our Lord. All things were created through Him. He is the sacrificial Lamb who came to die for our sins. He is the only mediator between God the Father and man. Our salvation comes only through having a personal relationship with Him. He now sits at the right hand of the Father making intersections for us. He’s the one who sent the Holy Spirit to indwell us, lead us, guide and empower us. Jesus said if you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father. Jesus is the sum total will of God the Father. It will be Jesus who will raise the living and the dead. It will be Jesus who all us will one day will stand in front of and be judged. For the lost they will stand at what’s called the White thrown of judgment (not a good place to be) For the Christians we will be judge at the believers seat. Not to contradict my first sentence, but the Catholic Church focus’s on ordinary people who they call saints, rather than focusing on the one person the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus said “ no one will enter the Kingdom, but through me” What He meant by that is: (1) We must believe He is the Son of God. (2) He came, lived and died for our sins (3) That we’re eternally lost with out Him. (4) For us to work on a deep personal relationship. He, God, doesn’t want us to become religious, what He wants is a Father son/ daughter relationship.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Very well stated 870!!!
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby BigSprig84 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 am

870 wrote:That’s a theological question that could stir up a hornet’s nest. As a former Catholic I understand both sides. My answer will fall on the protestant side. The Bible makes it clear there is only one God, manifested in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three make up God. The reason the protestant church focus’s on Jesus is because He is not only our Savior, but also our Lord. All things were created through Him. He is the sacrificial Lamb who came to die for our sins. He is the only mediator between God the Father and man. Our salvation comes only through having a personal relationship with Him. He now sits at the right hand of the Father making intersections for us. He’s the one who sent the Holy Spirit to indwell us, lead us, guide and empower us. Jesus said if you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father. Jesus is the sum total will of God the Father. It will be Jesus who will raise the living and the dead. It will be Jesus who all us will one day will stand in front of and be judged. For the lost they will stand at what’s called the White thrown of judgment (not a good place to be) For the Christians we will be judge at the believers seat. Not to contradict my first sentence, but the Catholic Church focus’s on ordinary people who they call saints, rather than focusing on the one person the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus said “ no one will enter the Kingdom, but through me” What He meant by that is: (1) We must believe He is the Son of God. (2) He came, lived and died for our sins (3) That we’re eternally lost with out Him. (4) For us to work on a deep personal relationship. He, God, doesn’t want us to become religious, what He wants is a Father son/ daughter relationship.

Yes, well said. Couldn't agree more, and I'm a Mormon.. :wink:
Goose doooown boys...
BigSprig84
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:45 am

Sprig,
You watch the news this morning?
Mormon....... but are you Christian?? What a mess... Can you imagine this during a Presidential debate?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BigSprig84 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Sprig,
You watch the news this morning?
Mormon....... but are you Christian?? What a mess... Can you imagine this during a Presidential debate?

Yea, God Bless old Romney for facing off those challenges. I hope Mitt comes out and explains to folks what an LDS CHRISTIAN believes in.. It's sad to know how little Americans know about LDS members... I'm a convert to the church (was raised catholic) and I couldn't believe how overly kind the members were when I first started attending. We get such a bad wrap from folks that don't care to know the facts...
Goose doooown boys...
BigSprig84
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm not a mormom, but I would rather have him than that muslim that's currently holding hostage the office of President.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Amen to that :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby BigSprig84 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

870 wrote:Amen to that :thumbsup:

:ditto:
Goose doooown boys...
BigSprig84
hunter

Postby utduck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:07 am

Ohhhh nature of God discussion. Fun. Check out the early catholic creeds laid down 325 years after Christs death that were decided on by a pagan sun worshiper, and 211-300 people. Only five of which were part of the actual church. Those ought to clear the nature of God right up for you. Since almost all christianity still uses that decision it must not be a confusing or complex subject at all. Despite the evidence in the bible contradicting their voted out come.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
utduck
hunter

Re: Re: God vs Jesus

Postby utduck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:23 am

alanwebfoot wrote:The Bible says as believers we are called Saints of God sons of God ,,the being ''reborn ' part is Biblical also it's a growth thing we get ''corrected'' daily by the heavenly Father [conviction ,sanctification ]step by step day by day ,,always gaining new knowledge of the scriptures and therefore Christ at the same time ,drawing closer to HIM,,because of a spiritual growth i.e. more faith.Being called a saint isn't something 'r'ewarded to a few ''special ''people.The ground at the foot of the cross is level ,equal oppurtunity given to ALL,,for forgiveness .Al we gotta' do is ask!!!!Thats what makes God ,,Jesus [the same ] so wonderful!!!

Correct all believers in Christ are saints.

I do disagree with saying born again is biblical and is the result if spiritual growth. It I clearly stated when Nicodemus is speaking with Jesus that baptism is the first part of being born again. Also with christ being our example and pathway. Even he was baptized. To fulfill all his Fathers commandments.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
utduck
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality