layman speaks

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

layman speaks

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I was reading "the first book" thread and someone commented about a layman not understanding...

Well, I am a layman and I don't think as a layman that I need to "understand" and this is why.

When the bible was written laymen in general didn't even know how to read. Therefore it was not meant for them.
The only people at the time who could read were Kings and Scribes.
THAT is for whom the bible was written.

As a layman with such simple thoughts and simple mindedness I feel that all I need to worry about is following the golden rule and accepting Jesus as my savior. All the rest is meant for Kings and Scribes...

The Golden Rule Part A: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The Golden Rule Part B: The ones who have the gold make the rules.

Have fun enlightening me...
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: layman speaks

Postby 870 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 pm

You are kidding right? You think it was only written for kings and scribes to read. Then they were to translate it to us the layman. The bible took nearly 1,400 years to write with nearly 40 different authors. Ranging from Kings, prophets and fishermen. The bible tells us clearly that when Jesus came down to earth, He gave up all power and authority and became man. It was He the son of an ordinary carpenter who took the scroll of Isaiah and read it. It was Jesus who rebuked the scribes and Pharisees because they didn’t know what was written in them about Him .

Okay how about the young disciple Timothy. A young man who had a Gentile father and a Jewish mother, neither a King nor a scribe, he was just Paul’s disciple. Paul instructs him to “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (the Bible) 2Tim 2:15…. He later goes on to say in the 3rd chapter “All Scripture is given by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” The primary application was to Timothy the second application is to us.

Paul commended the Bereans a group of people, not Kings and scribes”. For after they heard someone preach they went home and saw if what they heard stacked up to the scriptures. Acts 17:11

Now for “ Golden rule” It is one of the greatest principles of Christian living.
"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the Law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12)

Who were the prophets? Ordinary men given extraordinary jobs by God, they were not Kings and scribes.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: layman speaks

Postby byf41 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 pm

aunt betty,heres something to think about. In the God vs Jesus thread 870 made a good point about judgement. Lost people will be judged at the white throne,you can read about it in Rev.20 vs 11-15. Their judgement will determine their punishment in hell. Saved people will be judged at the mercy seat, you can read about it in 1 corinthians ch 3 vs 8-15. The lord will take all your works and burn them.Everything you did for him will make it through the fire and he will reward you for them. Everything else will burn and be gone.
If you have accepted Jesus as your Saviour you will be at the mercy seat. If you've learned nothing and done nothing since then you will have nothing waiting for you when you get there.
byf41
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality