This is an interesting twist

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

This is an interesting twist

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2 ... htm?csp=24

Another reason I do not take the bible literally, but rather metaphorically.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Yea ive heard about this.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AK Ducks » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:19 am

you can tell when a book is wrong becasue it dosen't fit in with the other books of the bible (3 vs 1 on who betrayed Jesus) a lot of these are made up buy people trying to get there own cults started of of christaninty. also the books in the bible were writin buy either Jesus' followers or scripes of these followers (people like to say "oh that book wasn't acually writtin buy one of the apostiles well the scribe is alomost the same thing)
ok I'll quit now I have much more proving the bible is a great way to boost your faith.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:55 am

AK i guess its true about people trying to make stuff out of Christianity but thats how alot of Christian religions were made, by breaking off of the Church.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:55 pm

IMO too many take the words literally. Meaning the actual words of Jesus. As mentioned above, most of the Bible was written 100s of years after the Jesus' crucifiction. And unforuntely were influenced by corrupt religious leaders (wanting their view vs Jesus' or his followers) and mistranslated [Aramaic (what Jesus spoke), to Greek to Latin, to English-you think some of the meaning and cultural translation may have been lost?]. And interesting translation is from Arimaic to English. As much was lost in the multiple translations.

IMO the 'Sermon on the mount' is the best of what Jesus actually said. One interesting thing is he spoke of false Gods-meaning the actual church buildings-the alter, etc... as he saw the influence (power) the relgious elders (Jewish priests of the time-remember Jesus was a Jew) were weilding. And why he spoke in the open air.

Another case in point os the word God--it is the German word for good. In Arimaic it is Abba, translated into english, it would mean Daddy. A very different overtone to it. Meaning a loving caring figure (daddy) VS an authoritative one that much of the German language is (God).

Now saying the above does not mean I do not believe in Jesus. What it does mean is I have learned to be careful of blindly following the Bible that was mistranslated and influenced by religous Orgs over the years. Basically it is the teachings of leaders of long ago. And many of the basic teachings are still pretty good in the bible and can give comfort and direction to a person even today, but is not necessarily the true teachings of Jesus or his followers.

I love what many of the newer generation are doing, the WWJD mentaility, (what would Jesus do). Basically if one looks at the word Christian, to be a Christian IMO is to be Christ like, so the WWJD, is an extension and a good rule of thumb to live life by. My hats are off to those that use this credo :thumbsup:

You all have a good Easter week :smile:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Faith-Spirituality