3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Glimmerjim 
#1 ·
I never liked that term....
Why do they say that?
"God fearing man"

#2 ·
God fears that man is going to do something stupid... :sad:

#4 ·
There are different types of "fear of God". There is the common usage as to be afraid of God's judgmemt and the eternal consequences of our acts. But there is a deeper meaning of the phrase, see Proverbs below, which is the recognition of His awesome power and of His creation. So a practical application of the phrase might be to reflect on His creation the next time you're in the blind and the birds aren't flying :) ---hold in awe the power of the Creator, the beauty of the field or marsh, the moment in time which brings you to enjoy His creation and His creatures, and give thanks in fear and wonderment.

Contemplate Proverbs 9:10--"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...."

#5 ·
25, you've hit it on the head.
Also look at Job 28:28
Psalm 19:9
Psalm 36 read the whole chapter.....good stuff Maynard
Proverbs 10:27 do ya want to live a long time?

The fear of the Lord, that is wisdom. It definately is an AWE thing for me. Any idea how many stars in the sky? God has em numbered and named. Get my drift?
Rather than me post em all, go to the back of your bible and look in the concordance. Lots of scripture to back it up.
Small Block

#10 ·
:thumbsup: Gotcha! I'm fear him b/c He controls everything and is the only thing that we are supposed to fear. Agreed He is a great, kind, merciful and loving God. Fearing God doesn't mean being afraid of God. I love God and feel that I have a great relationship with God, but I fear that if I don't do what I am supposed to do that I could pay for the consequences. I know that we are presented blameless in front of God through Christ, but I still fear Him in that kind of way.

#11 ·
A man that fears God, will honor God and obey God.
That thou mightest fear the Lord thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee,thou, and thy son,and thy son's son,all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. Deut 6:2.

#13 ·
I was brought up in the Catholic faith, and partly in Catholic school, and was subjected to fear and threats through much of what I now refer to as my "indoctrination". This didn't sit well with me once I grew to think for myself. I now have far more questions than I do answers, and do not follow any particular organized religion. I neither believe in God nor deny his existence. An education and career in science has shown me that anything's possible. But if there isn't a God, I do believe that instilling fear in one was one of the goals of the ancients who founded our major religions and holy books in a far more superstitious time. Byf41's quote pretty much sums up why. Keeping order is no small necessity in any society, and by any means possible.

#14 ·
Rusty, I know exactly how you feel. I was also raised Catholic, I was scared to death to go to religious instruction,the nuns would call kids up to the front of the room and beat the daylights out of them.Whatever they had I didn't want.When I got older I stoped going to church,I knew something was wrong with religion but didn't know what it was. I wondered what would happen to me when I died.
To make a long story short I met a bible believing christian that told me the bible explains the way to heaven.(These things have I written unto you ...that ye may know that you have eternal life,..) 1 John 5:13. You don't need religion you need Jesus. He paid the price he gives the gift. He loved you enough to go to calvarys cross to pay for your sin. The price is paid you need the faith to trust him and him alone. (For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves;it is the gift of God: Not of works,lest any man should boast.) Eph. 2:8-9.

#15 ·
I no longer worry about what will happen to me when i die. That is another issue that drove me from the church. I have no interest in living in a certain manner in order to achieve a place in heaven. I find something inherently wrong about that. I live the way I do because I feel it is the right way to live, not because the bible tells me to, or for a reward in the afterlife. The righteousness of treating your fellow man with fairness and respect should be a self-evident truth, not a religious rule. I don't mean to stir debate and perhaps shouldn't even be in this subforum but I do feel obliged to explain my views from time to time.

#18 ·
Rusty---come home. We miss you. You were baptized and you were imstilled with a sense of righteousness. It didn't just arise as a self evident truth within you. Indeed what you express is the radical nature of Christ and his Church not that which is either self evident or a religious rule. I offer no debate for such matters so deeply held by those offended by "religious rules" or those who disbelieve are undebatable. It is simply a matter of the soul and the Spirit. Christ Peace be with you in this journey of Faith.

#20 ·
You will revere (yarah)Yahweh your Elohiym and
you will serve him and in his name you will swear.
Deuteronomy 6:13
Many would conclude from these two passages this Hebrew word
has two different meanings, fear and reverence. This assumption
is made with many Hebrew words, but this is caused by an
understanding of the Hebrew vocabulary from a non-Hebraic
perspective. Each Hebrew word has only one meaning but can
have different applications. The literal concrete meaning of yara
is a "flowing of the gut," which can be applied to "fear" or
"reverence." Have you ever been so scared or been in the
presence of something so amazing that you could feel it in your
gut? This "feeling" is the meaning of this word. The Hebrews
were a very emotional people, and in many cases their words are
describing a "feeling," rather than an "action."
The fear (yirah) of the LORD is the beginning of
wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is
understanding
Proverbs 9:10 (KJV)
The word "fear" in the this verse is the noun hary yirah
[H]
derived from the verb yarah. The common understanding of this
verse is if one is afraid of or in great awe of Yahweh, he will
have wisdom, but as we shall see, this is not consistent with its
use in the Hebrew language. The Hebrew for "fear of the LORD"
(as found in the verse above) is written with two nouns, hwhy
tary yirat
Yahweh. When a noun precedes another noun, the
first noun is in the construct state, meaning it is connected to the
second noun-two words together forming one concept.

#21 ·
Absolutely great info here. I have wondered this myself for years. I have heard, "God Fearing", so much and always replied with, I don't fear God, my God is loving and caring and don't want to be feared. This makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!

#22 ·
I've always understood that God is a very loving and caring God, but also a just God. I've been taught that there will be consequences for our actions, therefor we must "fear" God. I don't believe that it was meant to be a literal term of being afraid of Him, but to remember that He is all powerful. Look at Sadam and Gamorah. They should have feard God more and lived a more rightous life. God can love His children but strike down evilness. Just what I understand of the matter. Take it or leave it.

#23 ·
RustyGunz1960 said:
I no longer worry about what will happen to me when i die. That is another issue that drove me from the church. I have no interest in living in a certain manner in order to achieve a place in heaven. I find something inherently wrong about that. I live the way I do because I feel it is the right way to live, not because the bible tells me to, or for a reward in the afterlife. The righteousness of treating your fellow man with fairness and respect should be a self-evident truth, not a religious rule. I don't mean to stir debate and perhaps shouldn't even be in this subforum but I do feel obliged to explain my views from time to time.
Good job, Rusty! You are very honest and well-spoken. I share precisely many of the same thoughts as you. I have complete respect for the religious, and am almost envious in some regards, but simply do not share the conviction. Do you consider yourself as a member of a specific subset of agnostic? Or have you studied the various subsets? I hope to continue this conversation with you, and appeciate others inputs, and will sincerely try, and hope, to never offend anyone! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
God fearing is about following the rules God set forth not man; this is obviously subject to interpretation. As a God fearing man, I fear that my interpretation of Gods laws may be clouded by my own personal feelings, so I strive to follow those rules as God would have me to not how I want to.

#25 ·
boney fingers said:
God fearing is about following the rules God set forth not man; this is obviously subject to interpretation. As a God fearing man, I fear that my interpretation of Gods laws may be clouded by my own personal feelings, so I strive to follow those rules as God would have me to not how I want to.
I find that well-put and illustrative, or informational, (not sure which term fits best :biggrin: ) to one such as me not really schooled in religion, boney! :thumbsup: I hope this comes out correctly. I find it tough to project my actual sincerity when I am discussing religion. It is so easy for me to say the wrong thing and find it taken as insincere or gratuitous. It's as much a cultural difference as any, it seems.

#26 ·
Glimmerjim said:
boney fingers said:
I find that well-put and illustrative, or informational, (not sure which term fits best :biggrin: ) to one such as me not really schooled in religion, boney! :thumbsup: I hope this comes out correctly. I find it tough to project my actual sincerity when I am discussing religion. It is so easy for me to say the wrong thing and find it taken as insincere or gratuitous. It's as much a cultural difference as any, it seems.
Especially on the internet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.