Word of the Day, November 22, 2013, 1 Corinthians 13:13

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, November 22, 2013, 1 Corinthians 13:13

Postby timf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:51 am

Word of the Day, November 22, 2013 

“ Lord, I need You, oh, I need You. Every hour I need You. My one defense, my righteousness. Oh God, how I need You.”

1 Corinthians 13:13

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity - Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving, Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity, love directed first toward God but also toward oneself and one's neighbors as objects of God's love, love of one's fellow men.

Love - A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness. Often love is called Christianity charity.

The King James uses the word charity throughout Chapter 13. Many other Bibles translations use the word love. I think the words are similar in some ways and totally different in our ways. I think we need to have love in us to have charity. Not sure I am the expert to discuss grammar or definitions as you can tell by my writings somedays, but I do know this, The Bible states it clearly that Charity is the greatest of these three, faith, hope and charity.

We are instructed in this chapter to love one another and to have charity to our fellow man. All the gifts, however excellent, are nothing without charity. This chapter tells us of the preeminence of love. Charity is superior to or more notable above all others, hope and faith. The greatest of these is charity because it glorifies both faith and hope.

We have to have love to have charity for we are to love thy neighbor, we are to love our brothers and sisters in the LORD, we are to love like Christ did and to have charity for all. A few examples of the marks of charity are long suffering, kindness, , self sacrifice, unselfishness, patience, endurance and love unfailing.

“ And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.” Give everything you have and still not do it in love, we have lost everything, it is worth nothing. Funny how these two words, Charity and Love work together for the glory of God’s Kingdom.

I normally tell everyone to spend sometime with your family, however today I am going to ask that you and your family go and help someone that is in need of your charity and love. My family and I are volunteering at the Open Door Mission on Thanksgiving day to serve meals to the homeless and people in need. I was not sure that my girls would really like do this and miss time at Grandma’s house, but they surprised me and are so excited about helping people in need. They can’t wait. We all need that kind of charity and love in our hearts. Then, we get to go to grandma’s house for some yummy food and sometime to catch up with the family. Remember to get to a good Bible preaching church this weekend. Invite someone to join you to share with them the love of Jesus Christ.

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality