Word of the Day, December 6, 2013, Joshua 24:15

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, December 6, 2013, Joshua 24:15

Postby timf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Word of the Day, December 6, 2013*

“ Wealth can be an idol, built of gleaming gold, bringing dreams of paradise, futures bought and sold. Some will choose to gather it, all that they can hoard, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!”

Joshua 24: 15

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

A very well known verse in the Bible. One that most of us known but yet really don’t follow as much as we should. The worshipping of God is so necessary, easy to do and very beneficial to us, yet the worshipping of idols is silly, absurd, and in vain. How do the worshipping of false gods or idols help “ your house?”

Reading the whole chapter you will see Joshua assembling the tribes of Israel for his farewell address and to remind them of God’s benefits to the people. He continues in the chapter the renewing of the covenant between Israel and God. Joshua’s reminder is that no man or people serves God solely in our own strength, for God truly demands that we as the believer have total commitment to Him. Joshua tells us that he is still faithful to his divine calling and charge from God and that in his house, he will serve the LORD unto the LORD calls him home.

We have a choice, serve the gods of the Amorites, of the world or serve our LORD and Saviour from above. Are you willing to buck the trend, swim against the current of this world and make a stand for God and your beliefs? Are we willing to make this your families stance also? We need to make a wise choice, Jehovah must be our choice.

Joshua was preparing the people to cross over the Jordan to the promise land called Canaan. He knew that his family had to live by their faith in God, not in Israel, false gods or idols. Joshua was willing to stand for his God against all odds to serve his master. Are we willing to do that? Joshua took this stance boldly with his family.

What do we serve in our house today? TV shows, internet, books, sports, hunting, fishing, love of money and success, new clothes and new cars. How about we choose Christ for our household? Make a stand for Christ, put Him first in your house today. I publicly claim to you today, As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Get out this weekend, careful with the cold temperatures, snow and freezing rain around the country. Enjoy getting your tree this weekend with your family, however please remember the reason for the season first and foremost, the birth of our Saviour. Get to a good bible preaching church, sing some hymns of Christmas and reach out to someone in need and in your house, serve the LORD.

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality