Word of the Day, December 11, 2013, 1 John 2:16

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, December 11, 2013, 1 John 2:16

Postby timf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:19 am

Word of the Day, December 11, 2013 

“ You brought me this far, So why would I question You now. You have provided, So why would I start to doubt. I've never been stranded, abandoned or left here to fight alone, so I'm giving You control.“

1 John 2:16

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Pride: A sense of one’s own proper dignity or value, self respect. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession or association. Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment, haughtiness. A excessively high opinion of oneself, conceit. a feeling of honour and self respect and excessive self esteem.

WOW! Do they have a picture of each one of us in the dictionary next to the word pride to show the readers what a person with pride looks like, you and me. I won’t be so prideful to let them just put my picture in there... :>)

Pride and humility, a dichotomy for sure by definition and in our daily lives. I used to have a lot more pride before my trial and after that experience, I have by the grace of God lost some of that pride. It flares up from time to time and I pray daily for that pride to be hidden from my flesh and I am surely no were near perfect with that. LORD, take my pride away and make me a humble man to your service.

Are we filled with the pride of life, the desires of mankind? Are we proud of all the things we have, own and cherish besides God? Do we think it is us that does all things? Are we under the prince of this world and not in the kingdom of God?

John tells us of the sinful world which consist of 3 ugly heads. The lust of the flesh, the lust of our eyes and the pride of life. We are fools if we let these 3 desires over take us. Although we are all tempted differently according to our own individual weaknesses, temptations follows one of three lust listed in verse 16. This has been this way from the beginning with satan tempting Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:6. However, Christ defied satan's temptation by relaying on the authority of God’s word. We can apply this to our own life today, are we counting on ourself or are we dependent on the Scriptures? Are we filled with earthly vision or GODly visions?

I have told you in the past that I read a chapter of Proverbs each day throughout the month and then start over again each month. I have gained knowledge, understanding and wisdom of God from these readings and studies. I am going to ask you to do a little Bible reading today. Please read the following verses in regards to pride. Proverbs 16:18, 14:3, 29:23, 11:2, and 8:13. These verses speak about the rod of pride, the destruction caused by pride, contention by our pride, shame caused by pride, and to become arrogant from pride. After you are done reading those verses, go back to the Book of Psalms and see what David had to say about pride. Psalms 10:4, “ The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God. God is not in all his thoughts.”

Pride will cause our destruction and the haughty spirit we have will cause our fall. Pray today to get ride of our pride and humble ourselves before the LORD. “ He must increase, but I must decrease.”

“ Grace what have You done. Murdered for me on that cross. Accused in absence of wrong. My sin washed away in Your blood. Too much to make sense of it all. I know that Your love breaks my fall. The scandal of grace. You died in my place. So my soul will live. Oh to be like You.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality