Duck Hunting Forum banner

Word of the Day, December 31, 2013, Matthew 6:21-24

827 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  A.D. Gambill 
#1 ·
Word of the Day, December 31, 2013*

" As for me and my house, We will serve the Lord. We will serve the Lord. Idols raised, tear them down. Cause we will serve the Lord. We will serve the Lord. To one king we bow down. As for me and my house, we will only serve the Lord."

Matthew 6:21-24

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

A simple response to verse 21 is if your treasure is in heaven, then heaven will have your heart. What has your heart? Money, work, success, sports, hunting and fishing, cooking, shopping, boating, fast cars, Facebook and social media, TV, skiing, your pets, clothes or travel. None of these things are bad, until you put them first in life and Christ is second to them. I've been there and done that myself. My pastor always says, look at your checkbook and you will see where your heart is, your gods.

The light of the body is associated with the eye. In the ancient days, it was the thought that the light for the entire body came through the windows of your eyes. If the eyes were in good condition, the body could receive such light. I believe that Jesus is using this language metaphorically which he does often when He is trying to teach us His words. This wording of the eye is an example of if your spiritual sight is healthy and your affections are directed upwards to heavenly treasures, your whole personality will be without blemishes. What your eyes are, then so is your body and soul.

If your eyes are filled with pure lights, so will your body but if they are filled with evil, then the whole body will also be filled with evil. Fill your eyes with Christ and not worldly lust and desires. How great is our own darkness? What darkness is in our minds and conscience daily? If there is darkness then how great is that darkness? " But if thine eye be evil" refers to disease or deception of your vision. Our evil eye is not mysterious. It is just filled with sin. How great is our darkness.

We can not serve two masters. When earthly desires take over us, then we are not serving GOD: GOD or money, GOD or duck hunting, GOD or fishing, GOD or golf, GOD or soccer, GOD or expensive clothes, GOD or Facebook, GOD or food, GOD or TV, GOD or cars, GOD or dance, GOD or drugs, GOD or you fill in the blank with your own desires that come before GOD.

Total loyalty to GOD cannot be divided between Him and loyalty to our material possessions Jesus proclaimed that we cannot serve GOD and mammon. Mammon is a Aramaic term for possessions or wealth. Jesus is not condemning money or possessions, but our improper attitude of being enslaved toward money and possessions.

Ok, so here it comes, Happy New Year to you and your family. My New Year's resolution is to try harder everyday to put Christ first in my daily life, He will be my only Master. To trust in Him even more and have the faith to listen to His desire for my life and to serve Him each and everyday. This is not only my New Year goal, but my goal each and everyday that I am alive on this earth. We need to put our trust in Him and nobody or nothing of this earth. Matthew 6:33 tells us how a sure way not to serve two masters: " But seek ye first the kingdom of GOD, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." If we believe this, then there is no need for earthy desires, GOD will provide. Seek Him today. GOD or mammon? I will serve GOD.

" To God alone be the glory. To God alone be the praise. Everything I say and do. Let it be all for you."

Timothy Furness

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.