Word of the Day, January 7, 2014, Psalms 51:1-4

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, January 7, 2014, Psalms 51:1-4

Postby timf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59 am

Word of the Day, January 07 , 2014

“ Troubled soul don't lose your heart , cause joy and peace he brings. And the beauty that's in store . Outweighs the hurt of life's sting ”

Psalms 51:1-4

1 (To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.) Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Psalms 51 is David’s prayer for cleansing, remission of his sins and for sanctification. This is an example of God wanting our hearts to be right with Him. This chapter may be one of the clearest examples of repentance . David’s sin kept on going. After being with Bathsheba, he murdered her husband, Uriah. Then he stole his wife, his household rebelled against him, he lost his wives in front of all the public and the child that he and Bathsheba conceived died.

I said this the other day to my accountability partner that our past sins just keep on affecting our lives years later. If David or myself had known at the time of our sin the painful consequence for others and ourself, would we might have not committed that sin at that moment?

This chapter was one that helped me see my past sins and to ask for God’s mercy. I wrote in my Bible the day, June 1, 2012 (Just 16 days into Canaan) that this touched me and changed my life. “O God, please according to thy lovingkindness and all your tender multitude of tender mercies, blot out my sins.”

We have all heard that David was a man after God’s own heart. Guess what? He was not perfect either, but he had a sensitivity to his sin. He uses the first person when he writes, mine iniquity, my sin and my transgressions. David is rich in asking the four figures for forgiveness. Confessing our sins, praying for inner renewal, promises thanksgiving and to grow his ministry and service to God.

If you continue in the chapter, David ask “ take not thy holy spirit from me.” As a New Testament saint, we need not to be offered or concerned about losing our salvation or the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit indwells every Christian permanently (I Corinthians 6:19). I believe he asked God here for the joy of his salvation and not his salvation itself. (A future Word of the Day)

The Bible and the men that were inspired by God to write it show us so many examples of how we are to examine ourselves, our excuses, halfhearted repentance and lack of sorrow over sin that keeps us from experiencing a full pardon. There is hope in our confessions to God, His mercies!. We need to use David’s example here and apply it to our lives today. Sin keeps us from a closer relationship with our Father God.

We can use this chapter and David’s lessons as a starting point to begin a better and closer relationship with God to identify and rectify sin in our life through confession and repentance. Lay our sin at Christ’s feet. Give it to Him today.

“ I'll praise You in this storm. And I will lift my hands, for You are who You are. No matter where I am, every tear I've cried. You hold in Your hand, you never left my side. And though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality