Divine Plan vs Dumb Luck

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Divine Plan vs Dumb Luck

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 am

Someone recently was asking the same old question "why does this happen to me?" and was advised that it's all part of God's plan.
I have a hard time with blind faith being an academic...

What part of your life are you responsible for and what part of it do you assign to God's will? The reason I ask is because it seems for some, that they just float through their day feeling that it's allllllll part of God's plan...I stepped on a nail.. Why would God do that?
I found $5....Thanks God!
I lost $5......Why would God do that?

Discuss the line where the fate you created for yourself ends and the divine plan begins......

~Slack
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Divine Plan vs Dumb Luck

Postby Norsky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Not to sound like a wise guy but you have to look at what your purpose on earth is. If you know your here to serve God you have a reason for what happens. Romans 8:28 If you do not know you call it luck.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:12 am

Norsky wrote:Not to sound like a wise guy but you have to look at what your purpose on earth is. If you know your here to serve God you have a reason for what happens. Romans 8:28 If you do not know you call it luck.

But see...there it is again....and I do not want to sound like a wise guy either...
BUT...
I don't think my purpose here is to serve God...I'm a Catholic and that's never even occurred (or been asked of) to me...Serve God how? Spreading the word? Maybe clarify that...
My purpose here is to be the best father, teacher, husband, friend, neighbor, citizen etc as I can...and of course I try to keep God's expectations on my mind when I do all of these...but I do not think that I am (nor would God want me to be) his possession. I just don't get that mind set where people think that you are God's pawn and he is directing you like a puppeteer....it always struck me as it absolves you from responsibility for your own actions...
I just don't think God would want us to be so subservient....
I'm certainly not saying that God is my equal...but I definitely look at him as a friend...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Norsky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Well here goes my best explanation for you. Jesus came to serve his father. He did it perfectly as an example for us to follow. One example He gave us is to serve our wives as Jesus serves the church. Jesus led by example in all he did. I can give you all the verses you want but it will not have an impact on your life coming from me. You need to grab your Bible sit down and have just one prayer. Ask God to show you how to serve. Open up your Bible and read one verse and see if it changes your view on things.
Last edited by Norsky on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:04 am

Slack Tide wrote:My purpose here is to be the best father, teacher, husband, friend, neighbor, citizen etc as I can...and of course I try to keep God's expectations on my mind when I do all of these..

Is this not serving God?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Is this not serving God?

As long as you are doing it for His glory and not your own, yes, that's a big part of it. It's not all of it, however.
Many "Christians" don't have any idea what God's expectations of us are....other than to "be a good person" (whatever that is). This is usually the fault of the church they are a member of.....IF they are a member of a church at all.

Divine plan vs. dumb luck: God hasn't "planned" our lives for us. We have freedom of choice in everything. That said, He DOES know what we will choose to do in every case. He even takes the bad choices and uses them....sometimes for our own ultimate good and sometimes for His glory. Pretty simple, really, when you think about it.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality