Word of the Day, Janauary 9, 2014, James 1:12-14

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Word of the Day, Janauary 9, 2014, James 1:12-14

Postby timf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:20 am

Word of the Day, January 9 , 2014

“ He's greater than your promise. He's greater than your pain. He's greater, greater than anything. Magnify Him, magnify Him. Make Him great in this place. Magnify Him, magnify Him. Make Him great in this place.”

James 1:12-14

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

How many times are we tempted each day? What do we do about that temptation? Fall to it or resist it? We are tempted everyday with TV, movies, magazines, books, internet and within our own mind.

We understandably look on trials and tragedy as the curse of God as Job’s friends did. As I can tell you all from experience, trials are the means through which God’s blessings can come. I believe that God desires us to mature during our trial. However, God does promise to provide an escape if the testing becomes unbearable. A lot of Christians always preach or quote I Corinthians 10:13 for their foundation for going through a trial. I think we should look to James 1:12 and see how we are blessed to endureth with temptations and trials. The reason for trials in our lives is revealed in Deut 8:16, “ That He might humble thee, and that He might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end.”

I believe that the temptations that James writes about in verse 2-12 differ than the temptations spoken about in verses 13-15. The temptations in verse 13-15 come from within, from our own hearts, our lusts and the outcome is death. The temptations in verses 2-12 have an external source in that they fall upon man, almost unavoidable. We are encouraged to endure them and grow from them and closer to God because of them. The temptations of sin must be avoided according to God’s commandments. I wrote this a few weeks ago; the progression of sin is from temptation to death. It takes after a life cycle; conception, birth, maturity and death.

Our temptations are no more severe than anyone else’s temptations are. If we trust in God, He will give us strength and deliverance for our temptations. James tells us here that those of us who truly follow Christ and trust God will not fall. We receive endurance with Christ as our cornerstone. We may be tempted or tested but God promises that He will be with you and that through prayer, trusting in Him and faith, we will not fall or fail.

We may receive trials in our lives and there is nothing we can really do about them. We need to accept them, endure them, become wiser and get through them. This is just life. We then need to realize the sources of our own fleshly temptations that we create with our own mind and heart and understand the cost to yielding to them and how to resist them. I think we need to admit to our temptations, pray for guidance and know that they are around us and try to stay away from them and look to God for HIs hand to guide us away from sin. I say this often, get in a situation that tempts you, just say Jesus and that will change your heart and mind to looking upward to God and not downwards to the devil.

“ When darkness seems to hide His face. I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale. My anchor holds within the veil.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality