Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Do you believe in God and Jesus Christ?

Yes
83%
No
13%
Don't Know
4%

Total votes : 215

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby 870 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Bill Herian wrote: I can't take the bible at face value and pity those who do.

That's funny Bill, I pity those who don't
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby mixedbag916 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:37 pm

870 wrote:

Amen to that!
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby byf41 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:09 pm

870 wrote:

870 is right. If the bible isn't true that puts believers and unbelievers in the same boat. If the bible is true where does that put unbelievers?
byf41
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm

byf41 wrote:
870 wrote:

870 is right. If the bible isn't true that puts believers and unbelievers in the same boat. If the bible is true where does that put unbelievers?

It puts them up a certain creek, without a paddle
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Here are my feelings on the subject. I was raised Roman Catholic by my religiously-strict Italian grandmother (My mother died when I was 5). I had nagging feelings of doubt at a fairly young age, but did my best to suppress them out of the guilt over having such thoughts. As I got older, and became more aware of world news, my faith was shaken even further. There was far too much killing and grief spread around the world in the name of religion. Muslim fundamentalists are currently under the magnifying glass, but Christians had their turn as well during history, through the actions of crusaders and over-zealous missionaries. These acts always are and were justified and perpetrated in the name of the “one true religion”. But for one religion to be the true one, it can only follow that the others are false ones. I can’t accept that notion. There was a time, before television, newspapers and even the printing press, when one’s village was his whole world, and it was easier for our leaders to instill our faith onto us. But I do not understand how a thinking Christian can now honestly feel that the whole rest of the world that believes in the Jewish, Muslim, or any other faith, is wrong and is going to hell. Non-thinkers, on the other hand, are easy to understand. Blind and unquestioning following has always been the easy path. I find no small irony in the common term for a priest’s or minister’s congregation being a “flock”. I am sorry, but the Lord is no longer my shepherd.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby byf41 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:04 am

The world is so full of lies it has to mean there is no truth. If you have one 100 dollar bill and nine counterfeit 100 dollar bills and you don't know the difference the best thing to do is not to believe in 100 dollar bills. Maybe there is no God,Maybe you can do whatever you want and get away with it.
I grew up in a religon that wasn't true. You can throw in the towel or you can ask for the truth.The way, the truth ,and the life hears your prayers and he knows your thoughts.
byf41
hunter

Postby jeff wolpert » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:31 am

I was born and raised catholic.i went to catholic elementry school.i hated it at the time.so many rules and regs that i didn't understand why.but i did what i was told to do.In 1983 when i was just twelve the good lord took my best friend,my grandfather.I didn't at the time understand the circle of life.all i knew that this God that i was told to belive in had taken what was most important in my life.I was mad at my lord and everything religion stood for.two years later my other grandfather died,again fueled the mad fire.I stayed mad for the next 13 years until i met my to be father in law.He was a bishop in the penecostal church.one of the first conversations we had was about God,death,and life in general.he asked me constantly to come to church.i hadn't been to a service in forever.i did go and left with a feeling, a healing feeling i hadn't felt in years.I started talking to God again(prayer).i started becoming a better person.you see with all this anger i also turned to drugs and alchohol to ease my pain.soon after i wasn't drinkin or druggin as much.i found those good feelings in talking to God.as my life improved so had my relationship with the Lord.I know it was God who had taken my grandfathers from me and i also know it was he who healed me.He let me be mad and firgure things out.he let me know when i did bad things bad thinngs happend.I'm not a church goer,but i do believe in God and his son Jesus Christ.I do pray,i do thank him for all hes given us.I'm afraid i'm still a bit mad,but that is me feeling sorry for myself,i didn't used to understand the divine plan.i do belive in heaven and hell.and i will get to walk with my Lord one day,hopefully not too soon.ive never actually told anyone any of this.i'm glad this question was asked.thanks
jeff wolpert
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 pm

jeff wolpert wrote:religion relationship with the Lord.

That is the difference (IMO). Being a Christian and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior is NOT about religion, it's about a relationship. It's sad that certain denominations have turned it into a religion. It's all about having a relationship with Jesus and letting Him lead your life. Again, just my 2 cents.
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:Now I'll prolly catch flack for this, but I also have a hard time believing. I grew up going to Catholic elementary and junior high schools. When I look at the facts from a scientific standpoint, none of it adds up. Simple example, the Bible says that Adam and Eve were created and put on the earth, followed by all animals. If that is true, why do we know that dinosaurs existed long before humans ever walked the earth, or why are dinosaurs not referenced in the book. I have nothing against people who believe, only when they try to convince me otherwise. The question I ask is if the Bible never existed, would you still believe?

read the book of Job it has dinosaurs
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm

canbakchaser wrote:
shoot-n-goose wrote:Now I'll prolly catch flack for this, but I also have a hard time believing. I grew up going to Catholic elementary and junior high schools. When I look at the facts from a scientific standpoint, none of it adds up. Simple example, the Bible says that Adam and Eve were created and put on the earth, followed by all animals. If that is true, why do we know that dinosaurs existed long before humans ever walked the earth, or why are dinosaurs not referenced in the book. I have nothing against people who believe, only when they try to convince me otherwise. The question I ask is if the Bible never existed, would you still believe?

Even if they are in the book of Job, it still does not explain why every carbon dated dino bone is thousands of years older than anything remotely human
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:
canbakchaser wrote:

Even if they are in the book of Job, it still does not explain why every carbon dated dino bone is thousands of years older than anything remotely human

Ever consider maybe they're wrong?
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 am

canbakchaser wrote: Ever consider maybe they're wrong?

Hmmmm, believe thousands of scientist, geological data, and fossils out the wazoo , or a 2000 year old book that thinks the world is flat and is the center of the solar system, which has more fish stories than an outdoor expo
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby byf41 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Where does the bible say the earth is flat and the center of the solar system? I've read it from cover to cover and don't remember those verses. Did you know the 1611 authorized version has never been proven to contain a single error. How many times have evolutionists changed their story in the last fifty years?
byf41
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Isaiah 11:12
And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.

Daniel 4:11
The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH:

Job 38:13-14
That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it. The earth takes shape like clay under a seal

Ecclesiastes 1:5:
The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises

Last time I checked round objects have no corners, or edges. And something squished like clay under a seal could not possibly be spherical. Also, why would the sun have to "hurry" back to where it rises unless the earth was flat/round (not spherical). You are going to say its a figure of speech, and that there are a hundred ways to interpret it, and we can argue until blue in the face. The earth is flat was the first thing that popped in my head when I thought of how the bible is full of bologna, there is much, much more
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby byf41 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:58 pm

It is he that sitteh upon the circle of the earth,... Is.40 22 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place and hangeth the earth upon nothing. Job 26:7. Does the bible say that the earth is the center of the universe or did you just make that up
byf41
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Psalm 104:5: "Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken."

Psalm 93:1: "Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ..."

Its another one of those how you interpret things, if the earth was immovable, everything else by default must be in motion about it. Back then stars were nothing more than dots in the sky, placed by God around the earth for man to stare at in wonder.
Why was it such a big controversy when Galileo went against the church defending that the earth revolved around the sun?
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby byf41 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:51 pm

It was a certain church that had a problem with Galileo, not the bible. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if you don't believe the Bible is God's word then what do you trust in? What do you think is going to happen to you when you die? Do you think that everybody goes to heaven? Do you think you can earn your way through your own righteousness and good works?
byf41
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 pm

byf41 wrote:It was a certain church that had a problem with Galileo, not the bible. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if you don't believe the Bible is God's word then what do you trust in? What do you think is going to happen to you when you die? Do you think that everybody goes to heaven? Do you think you can earn your way through your own righteousness and good works?

Somebody's got to play devils advocate :hi: Its very hard for me to take anything from the bible seriously knowing how quickly stories become exaggerated, especially since they say it was several decades from the time a man named Jesus was crucified and all those stories were written. I don't know of anything that the bible can explain that science cannot, at least without making huge assumptions or having blind faith. Don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe in karma
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:04 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:but I do believe in karma
Doesnt he have a yellow lab?

But seriously dude if your willing to be open about it you should try reading a case for christ and a case for the creator they were written by an athiest who was writing a book to disprove Gods existence and by the time hey finished the book he was a christian just kinda goofy. If you open to it maybe try reading those?
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby ewolfbalto » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:09 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:Here are my feelings on the subject. I was raised Roman Catholic by my religiously-strict Italian grandmother (My mother died when I was 5). I had nagging feelings of doubt at a fairly young age, but did my best to suppress them out of the guilt over having such thoughts. As I got older, and became more aware of world news, my faith was shaken even further. There was far too much killing and grief spread around the world in the name of religion. Muslim fundamentalists are currently under the magnifying glass, but Christians had their turn as well during history, through the actions of crusaders and over-zealous missionaries. These acts always are and were justified and perpetrated in the name of the “one true religion”. But for one religion to be the true one, it can only follow that the others are false ones. I can’t accept that notion. There was a time, before television, newspapers and even the printing press, when one’s village was his whole world, and it was easier for our leaders to instill our faith onto us. But I do not understand how a thinking Christian can now honestly feel that the whole rest of the world that believes in the Jewish, Muslim, or any other faith, is wrong and is going to hell. Non-thinkers, on the other hand, are easy to understand. Blind and unquestioning following has always been the easy path. I find no small irony in the common term for a priest’s or minister’s congregation being a “flock”. I am sorry, but the Lord is no longer my shepherd.

This is why I am not religious at all. Most of the hate in this world has been either caused by religion and has been justified by religion. Racism, sexism, and especially now, homophobia can be traced to religion. And didn't Jesus Christ preach that humans must accept others regardless of their religion, race, or sexual orientation?
ewolfbalto
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:
byf41 wrote:It was a certain church that had a problem with Galileo, not the bible. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if you don't believe the Bible is God's word then what do you trust in? What do you think is going to happen to you when you die? Do you think that everybody goes to heaven? Do you think you can earn your way through your own righteousness and good works?

Somebody's got to play devils advocate :hi: Its very hard for me to take anything from the bible seriously knowing how quickly stories become exaggerated, especially since they say it was several decades from the time a man named Jesus was crucified and all those stories were written. I don't know of anything that the bible can explain that science cannot, at least without making huge assumptions or having blind faith. Don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe in karma

That's why it's called FAITH. You are saved by Faith in Jesus Christ who died for your sins. If you believe in karma, then that is your religion. You have faith in karma. Have you ever seen karma??? Probably not, but you believe in it. That is the essence of FAITH. BLIND FAITH :fingerhead:
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:19 pm

I don't believe karma is some sort of magical power. I don't talk to karma, or hope that it fixes all my problems. To me, if you do good things, it should not be a surprise that good things might happen to you. Its not saying they will happen. If you do bad things, it shouldn't be a surprise if bad things happen to you. But its not saying that bad things don't happen to good people, and vice versa.

Its not like I'm afraid of karma like religious people are afraid of hell. I just know if I go out and do s#!tty things, there is a good chance they will come full circle, but I'm not expecting a shoplifter to get smacked by a bus. If it did happen, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

The other day I changed a ladies flat tire on the highway, and then that weekend I was thinking it would be nice if the ducks worked perfectly because I had some "good karma" in the same way I could have good luck. There is no man in the sky dishing anything out. The ducks didn't work that weekend, but did I blame it on karma or ask it why? Nope

I'm not saying karma is a tangible entity, or that its anywhere and everywhere, working all the time. Karma is simply a theory, and I believe in it the same way I believe the weather man. Sometimes its dead on, and sometimes you just say ***. To me karma isn't an eye-for-an-eye type thing. Payback for hitting your wife could be a papercut, since karma is a series of convenient connections
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby byf41 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm sure you're a good guy and do good things for other people, but the bible says, " As it is written, There is none righteous no not one." For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:10,23. Our sins separate us from God and that is why we need an intercessor and redeemer. For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16 When I realized that Jesus loved me so much that He went to calvary's cross in my place, I decided to follow Him. No one else would do that for me, and no one else would do that for you.
byf41
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

In my opinion, after you learn what a religion is, you make a decison as to what yours acutually means to you. This is where I got confused, and remain confused.

re·li·gion   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/
[ri-lij-uhn]

–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

When I was young and learned that there are all sorts of people all over the world who have their own versions of this thing called "religion" I questioned what made my religion any truer than theirs? The bible told me that only those who accept Jesus Christ...shall share eternal life. What about every one else? I just never understood what made my religion right. If Jesus is who the bible says how could so many people still be so misinformed?

Once I reached an age where I felt I could undertake it with an open mind, I read the bible, cover to cover, and I agree it is a very intricate and carefully crafted work, not just a bunch of stories written by people who saw Jesus' face in a piece of bakery. Yet, after reading it I still couldnt quite determine why Jesus trumps Allah, Budda, Zoroaster, various pagen deities, or any other "false gods" and the texts that these faiths equate to the bible.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no proof. Thats why it's called faith. My interpretion makes perfect sense to me but I must remember that it makes no sense at all to some one who beleives in Christ, or Allah, or Alien Chickens. You pick an interpretation that works for you and that you are comfortable with.
Bill Herian
hunter

Re:

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:29 pm

YAMAHA RIDER wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Whether or not Jesus existed isn't the question. Even secular historians agree Jesus existed. The question is whether you believe he died for your sins or not.

RIGHT ON :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I do :thumbsup:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Don't let anybody look down on you because you are young; but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 1st Timothy 4:12
Started from the bottom, now we here.
I hate gadwalls
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Faith-Spirituality