Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.


Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Do you believe in God and Jesus Christ?

Yes
179
83%
No
27
13%
Don't Know
9
4%
 
Total votes : 215

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Bill,

I'm on board with you. I have the pleasure of being a mentor in our church's (episcopal) confirmation program. At the very first meeting, we talked about the difference between "confirmation" and "conformation". We had a great discussion this morning with about 40 kids. They were all tasked with researching and presenting on different religions. We heard about Buddhists, Roman Catholics, Islam, Pagans, and Judaism. After the presentations, we went through what was in common and what was different. With almost no input from mentors (adults), these 12 and 13 year olds had a lively discussion. The session ended with the kids writing down questions they want answers to. I have been searching my life for answers to some of the same questions myself.
Why do miracles not happen as much as during biblical times?
How do we reconcile the differences between science and religion?
Why does religion have so many rules?
and lots more...

In the end, we are really hoping that the kids are able to make informed decisions about their own faith and relationship with God. For me personally, the idea that someone would choose to give up their life for me is a powerful one. To each his own and keep asking the hard questions.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Evanston, IL


Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby byf41 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:11 pm

I used to be a member of a rifle collecting forum, and some guy figured out how to send a private message to every member of the forum. He told us all about the benefits of being a buddhist and how it changed his life. A lot of guys got mad and complained about it. I sent him a p.m. back, I told him all down through history, there has only been one empty grave. Jesus is the only one that resurrected from the dead under His own power, and the only one that can resurrect those that belong to Him. I thanked him for his concern and pushed the send button. He never got back to me.
byf41
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05 am
Location: N.Y.

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby gracenjohn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:25 pm

That is a great point BYF,

Thanks for sharing your story. The thing is, we don't have to undermine or diminish others stories or journeys of faith in order to make ours better or more powerful.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby ARBlack45 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 pm

I encourage any non believers to read atleast one of the two books listed below...

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

23 Minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese


I own both, if your interested I'll send it to you.
User avatar
ARBlack45
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm
Location: Strasburg, PA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby juliadesusa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 am

Well I can say that this all things are nothing but its a FAITH on God or the JESUS, Some people think that the God is not there when they are in trouble and they cant get the way, But then after the same person will tell that the God is here when every thing is going nicely as per his choice so I can say that the person who has no FAITH in God they all telling that there is no God but you have to give some FAITH on God after that he will defiantly and surprisingly helps you.
juliadesusa
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby Barney#1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:Now I'll prolly catch flack for this, but I also have a hard time believing. I grew up going to Catholic elementary and junior high schools. When I look at the facts from a scientific standpoint, none of it adds up. Simple example, the Bible says that Adam and Eve were created and put on the earth, followed by all animals. If that is true, why do we know that dinosaurs existed long before humans ever walked the earth, or why are dinosaurs not referenced in the book. I have nothing against people who believe, only when they try to convince me otherwise. The question I ask is if the Bible never existed, would you still believe?

Read this. I once wondered the same thing.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -dinosaurs
User avatar
Barney#1
hunter
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Boerne Tx

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Barney#1 wrote: Read this. I once wondered the same thing.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -dinosaurs


That really did not help at all, it just made me feel better about where I stand. According to that the universe is 6000 years old, and I'm sure just about anyone with half a brain will tell you that's so false it's absurd. The simple fact the the bible says the earth/sun/moon/stars/whatever were all created 6000 years ago, or even that life did not exist until 6000 years ago discredits anything else the book has to say in my opinion.

I think people who stand behind the bible and say that there is fossil evidence lacking to support evolution fail to realize the odds of an organism becoming a fossil after death, and then to still be discovered by us. Not to mention that fossils are usually found around times of mass destruction/disaster events, so when the earth would be at a normal state (which promotes evolution) the odds of properly preserved specimens are very very slim
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
User avatar
shoot-n-goose
hunter
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Oakland County, Michigan

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby Barney#1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Sorry that did not help. Made since to me. Hope you figure it out some day. As for me, I would rather put my faith in God and the Bible anyday over a bunch of whacko scientist. If I am wrong about what I beleive in when I die, well I am in no worse shape than you. Just dead. If God really does exist (which he does in my heart) then the alternative for non beleivers is not so great. Hope you and your family have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
User avatar
Barney#1
hunter
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Boerne Tx

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby byf41 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:42 pm

There's something interesting in Genesis that a lot of people miss,
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth..." Gen 1:28. It doesn't say plenish, it says replenish. How much time went by from the creation to the time they were told to replenish it? Some things God isn't worried about us knowing, but other things he makes very clear.
"These things have I written unto you... that ye may know that ye have eternal life" 1 John 5:13
"Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." 1 Tim 2:4-6
"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor 5:21
the price for our salvation was payed for 2000 years ago. We don't deserve it, and we can't earn it. It's a gift from God.
"For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast."
Eph 2:8-9
byf41
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05 am
Location: N.Y.

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby Nobirds » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:30 pm

.
Nobirds
hunter
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:07 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:20 pm

I voted no because there is no such thing.

stephen hawkings is correct

I was not brought up in any faith and have looked at several the only one with science and math to back it up is the way stephen hawkings explains it.

you can't debate mathematics because there is only one solution and only one way to get that solution.

If I am wrong and there is such thing as jesus christ, I guess he will forgive me so either way I have nothing to worry about.
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby canbakchaser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:I voted no because there is no such thing.

stephen hawkings is correct

I was not brought up in any faith and have looked at several the only one with science and math to back it up is the way stephen hawkings explains it.

you can't debate mathematics because there is only one solution and only one way to get that solution.

If I am wrong and there is such thing as jesus christ, I guess he will forgive me so either way I have nothing to worry about.


Good luck with that theory poo stomper.
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
User avatar
canbakchaser
hunter
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: north colorado

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby mixedbag916 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:I voted no because there is no such thing.

stephen hawkings is correct

I was not brought up in any faith and have looked at several the only one with science and math to back it up is the way stephen hawkings explains it.

you can't debate mathematics because there is only one solution and only one way to get that solution.

If I am wrong and there is such thing as jesus christ, I guess he will forgive me so either way I have nothing to worry about.

Wrong on that last sentence buddy. The only to be forgiven is to accept Him as your Lord and Saviour.

As far as science goes, it too is a religion. It requires faith in it's assumptions about the origin of life. Science and math are NOT the end all solution.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:57 pm

I do not believe in God or jesus christ

I do believe in stephen hawkings THEORY. yes I know its a theory.

I do believe that stephen hawking is correct or at least on the correct path but for any of this to be true creation had to have happened otherwise there would be nothing at all.

I have not read the bible nor do I care to.

on the part where you say that you have to accept jesus christ as your lord and saviour; my question is this

What about the people who live in rural parts of the world that have never even heard of any type of religion.
What about the children who die in the womb and who die at delivery
what about the people who are mentally disabled and never understand anything from birth to death


these people would not have ever had a chance to accept jesus christ as their lord and saviour. What happens to them? would jesus christ forgive them and let them into heaven? please elaborate but keep it simple as i have not read the bible.
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby mixedbag916 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:38 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:
I have not read the bible nor do I care to.

on the part where you say that you have to accept jesus christ as your lord and saviour; my question is this

What about the people who live in rural parts of the world that have never even heard of any type of religion.
What about the children who die in the womb and who die at delivery
what about the people who are mentally disabled and never understand anything from birth to death


these people would not have ever had a chance to accept jesus christ as their lord and saviour. What happens to them? would jesus christ forgive them and let them into heaven? please elaborate but keep it simple as i have not read the bible.


I don't know. The Bible states you have to accept Jesus, because, in His words "No one comes to the Father but through Me". That is a good question for a Bible scholar for sure. I'm sure it's up for some long-winded debate. So, to answer your question, I guess only God knows.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:43 pm

They way it has been explained to me is that jesus forgive. he will even forgive the ignorant. win/win for everyone
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby mixedbag916 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:01 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:They way it has been explained to me is that jesus forgive. he will even forgive the ignorant. win/win for everyone

:no: Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. That's not mentioned in the Bible. I know you stated that you have no desire to read it. But, if you're going to make that assumption about eternal forgiveness (stress the word ETERNAL), it would be wise to read the Bible (at least the New Testament).

Just my opinion.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:42 pm

attention mixedbag;

are you one of those people who think that what ever happens happens for a reason?
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby hunterjon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 pm

I read the different forums on this site far more often than I actually post in them, but I saw this thread and I felt compelled to respond as a hunting buddy and I were just discussing this very topic. I am in the "No" group but it wasn't for lack of trying.

I was raised in a mainstream protestant denomination by good Christian parents where I attended church and Sunday school weekly. I was involved in Christian youth activities from elementary school on up, and I went through confirmation as a teenager. I attended 7 "Group Workcamps", weeklong christ-centered work on houses in areas that need the help. I saw all the people who had their lives changed by interaction with religion. While I was happy that these people had turned their lives around, I never had the same feelings about religion/God/Jesus that they had. All throughout this time I always harbored deep doubts about whether God really existed or that Jesus was his son. I approached a youth leader at my church that I respected and we talked about these doubts, his response was essentially "fake it till you make it"; i.e. go through the motions till you get the faith. I tried that, it still didn't work for me.

I went off to college and tried some different things, attended some churches and took a class on the New Testament. Still didn't help, still had the same doubts and if fact they were growing as I progressed in my studies. Graduated from college and moved away to take a job, tried to make a go of attending church and really focusing on the message, tried asking Jesus to come into my heart to give me faith and belief. Nothing happened.

Time continued on and I realized that I just didn't believe in God, Jesus, or the Bible anymore. And I'm fairly certain that I never really did. You see it wasn't some defined point where I lost all faith, it was the growth of the doubt that was always there that finally reached a tipping point and caused me to realize that I'm not a believer. So I cancelled my church membership and have felt better ever since. Since that point I’ve heard every reason and argument imaginable why I should attempt a return to the fold but I can’t make myself believe something I just don’t believe in. So here I am today, an unbeliever that has never been happier.
hunterjon
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby mixedbag916 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:45 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:attention mixedbag;

are you one of those people who think that what ever happens happens for a reason?



There are things that happen for a reason. But not everything.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:02 pm

then my question to you would be;

Do you look for traffic before walking across a busy street?
Do you go to the doctor?
Do you go to work?
Do you wear a seat belt?
Do you ever feel pain?

Why doesn't your lord and savior do this for you?

My point being is that if you have accepted jesus christ as your lord and savior, why are you still living in this life. Why not let all things happen for a reason and live your life without a care in the world since you will be saved anyway?


the TRUTH is;
nobody has ever seen jesus christ
the bible is a book that has been put together by many authors and has survived for thousands of years
church is essentially a "book club"
religion is no different than a cult

I'm not telling you how to live your life, just pointing out the obvious.


It would also seem obvious that if jesus christ was real, he would not allow pedophiles promote himself. I am not calling all priests pedophiles but a few years back there was quite a few.
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:21 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:religion is no different than a cult


Exactly the way I see it
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
User avatar
shoot-n-goose
hunter
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Oakland County, Michigan

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Clyde

Your level of ignorance conerning this topic is so staggering that any commentary you provide is essentially void.

I'm still nervous about getting into this debate with others because, even though I HAVE read the bible and taken the time to understand as many of the different viewpoints as I can, I'm still nowhere close to any sort of conclusion. There is a little more to this than watching Hawking talk about it on the discovery channel.

More literature has been produced on this debate than perhaps any other in human history. Saying that Stephen Hawking has the answer to it makes you sound even more crazy than the most zealous religous radical. This might not be such a simple thing. You really need to educate yourself before jumping in. Understanding the opposing view is far more valuable than understanding yours.

As was said, science is just as much founded in faith as a belief in Jesus Christ.

Just thought you should know that your line of reasoning (i'm using that term very loosely here) is bordering on incoherence.

By the way, I am, at present, not a believer.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4077
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm not worried.

Just because I haven't the novel you call "the bible" doesn't mean I don't understand.

science is not founded on faith that's why it's called science :hi:

just like the world isn't flat anymore
valley waterfowlers
User avatar
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Who does not believe in God or Jesus Christ?

Postby ghmIV » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Dear DK Clyde,

I have enjoyed reading alot of your posts and I think that you have injected alot of energy into the forum :) . I came across this thread and felt compelled to respond.

duckkillerclyde wrote:I do believe that stephen hawking is correct


Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man and is much smarter than I will ever be. However, Proverbs 1:7 says that "fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" and I believe that Mr. Hawking is wrong about God. God wants us to believe on faith (Ephesians 2:8,9) and I believe that God intentionally created us so that science couldn't prove it. If science could prove God created us then we would believe not on faith but because it is a scientific fact. However, I also believe that science can not disprove God and that we haven't been able to do so in thousands of years.

When I was in college I learned about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It states that the amount of randomness or chaos within a closed system is always increasing. This is in stark contrast to evolution where simple cells are developing into complex multi-cell systems. Check out Focus on the Family's "Truth Project".


duckkillerclyde wrote:If I am wrong and there is such thing as jesus christ, I guess he will forgive me so either way I have nothing to worry about.


I hope that you are right. However, I believe that when we die it is too late to be forgiven.


What about those who never hear the gospel?

That is a great question that has been debated by Christian theologians for centuries.

In Romans 1:20 Paul wrote that through God's creation God's invisible qualities are clearly seen and that we are without excuse. As duck hunters we have seen some of God's finest handywork.

In Romans 2:14-16 Paul wrote about Gentiles who were without the law.

In John 14:6 Jesus clearly teaches us that he alone is our source for salvation. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."


What about young children who die?

8 years ago my wife and I's first son was still born. We received encouragement from 2 Samuel 12:23. After King David's young son had died he said "I will go to him, but he will not return to me".
ghmIV
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Faith-Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest