Word of the Day, February 17, 2014, Matthew 10:28

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Word of the Day, February 17, 2014, Matthew 10:28

Postby timf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:49 am

Word of the Day, February 17, 2014

" Jesus, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain for us. Son of God and Man. You are high and lifted up; That all the world will praise Your great name ”

Matthew 10:28

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Ok, we can have a interactive Word of the Day. How was church yesterday? We heard a great message about you wanting to make a living or make a life. Ecclesiastes 6. Email me or post up about yours.

Been on the theme of Fear God for the past few days and will again today. Do you know that the Bible uses the word fear over 300 times in reference to God. A lot of us say that we respect or reverence God, but it is so much more than that. I can respect a man or reverence somebody, but with God he is able to destroy both our soul and body in hell. Our fear should not be of man that can kill the body, but not the soul but to Fear God!

The Bible is full of examples of how fearing God is a positive thing and not a negative. I did some research and found these examples. Joseph wins his brothers trust when he tells them that he is a God fearing man. The midwives fear God and that is why they saved the Hebrew babies. Moses chose leaders to help him on the basis that they fear God and not take bribes and told the Hebrews that God meet with them in a terrifying display of His power so that they would not sin. Fearing God is good.

Romans 3 is know as a chapter about sin and that our reason for sin is
“ There is no fear of God before their eyes.” I want to quote William Eisenhower wrote in an article called “ Fearing God”. He writes it much better than I can.

“ Unfortunately, many of us presume that the world is the ultimate threat and that God's function is to offset it. How different this is from the biblical position that God is far scarier than the world …. When we assume that the world is the ultimate threat, we give it unwarranted power, for in truth, the world's threats are temporary. When we expect God to balance the stress of the world, we reduce him to the world's equal …. As I walk with the Lord, I discover that God poses an ominous threat to my ego, but not to me. He rescues me from my delusions, so he may reveal the truth that sets me free. He casts me down, only to lift me up again. He sits in judgment of my sin, but forgives me nevertheless. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but love from the Lord is its completion.”

The ultimate example of fear and perfect love working together is Jesus Christ. He spoke about the fear of God many times in a firm but in a lovingly way. Truth and Grace. We must repent of our sins and fear God. Instead of ending with a song today, here is a verse that we should hold close to our hearts.

II Corinthians 7:1

1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality